Big Sam eyes Baines Swoop

Leazes1986

Big Sam Eyes Baines Swoop

May 24 2007

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United could make Wigan left-back Leighton Baines the first signing of a cash-laden era at St James' Park.

The 22-year-old Merseysider is thought to be high on the Toon shopping list, with the defender keen on progressing his career on the bigger stage.

And should sports tycoon Mike Ashley be successful in his takeover bid, then the chances of landing Baines would undoubtedly increase.

Baines' £5m price tag would be a drop in the ocean for the 42-year-old billionaire, who is now being branded the Geordie Roman Abramovich.

Baines apparently feels that he has taken his career as far as he can with the Latics. He is concerned he will not progress into the full England set-up after 11 under-21 caps, having been overlooked by Steve McClaren in recent squads, unless he moves to a bigger club.

New Toon boss Sam Allardyce is believed to be a long-time admirer of Baines and it is no secret that United are seeking a new left-back, with Celestine Babayaro's future on Tyneside uncertain.

Baines was also a big fan of departed boss Paul Jewell and, having come through the club's youth system under his watchful eye, he signed his contract under assurances that the Scouser would remain in charge.

However, despite the fact that Ashley is also thought to hold a 19% stake in Wigan chairman Dave Whelan's JJB Sports company, he has a frosty relationship with the man who put the Latics on to the Premiership map.

Nevertheless, Whelan will not want a disgruntled player on his hands and has promised new boss Chris Hutchings a transfer kitty of his own, meaning any funds earned by the sale of Baines would go straight into his spending pot.

Baines has three years left on his contract and has also attracted interest from Manchester United, Everton, Tottenham and Arsenal, but he knows that he would walk into St James' Park as the first- choice left-back.

And he will head to Holland for the European Under-21 Championships this summer as part of an England squad which includes the United duo of James Milner and Steven Taylor.

Yet even though fans were toasting the arrival of Ashley last night after he snapped up over 41% of the club's shares, there is still plenty of work to be done at boardroom level, and it could take some time before Allardyce knows exactly how much transfer cash will be at his disposal.

However, Ashley's swoop for Newcastle will surely encourage Michael Owen that the future is bright at Newcastle.

The England striker has been linked with a move away from St James' Park to one of the Premiership's top four.

But with no takers so far, and a potential new cash injection imminent, Owen could now regard Tyneside as the place to be for the rest of his career.

Owen has still to sit down with Allardyce, but the same goes for the rest of the players, with the manager still on holiday until next week.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=big-sam-eyes-baines-swoop%26method=full%26objectid=19187708%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Would be a very good signing imo.

Guest DavB93

Really hope he's the first of mainly good signings as the squad was thin last year as it was and we've released 5 already.

Aye would be the best choice available for reasonable money. Solid left back who should only improve with experience. Proven in the premiership and a lower risk than someone like Bale.

Guest Knightrider

He's my first choice LB.

Stone me, we appoint my first choice manager, FS who I want out looks like he's on his way, the Halls have fucked off...

I'm expecting to wake up any moment.

Would be a fantastic signing, very good and underrated player.

Guest Geordie_krispy

Hasn't he had a medical for spurs in a £10m move this morning?

Nevermind that's the other one, Bale. D'oh! Stressed at work = non-sensical ramblings on forums

Guest teepee

i'd also love to see him here - either him or wayne bridge. these are my "realistic" first choice left back options.

5m is not that bad for a 22 year old english left back if you ask me.

Lets hope we get him in, deal done as quick as we can!!

Probably going to have to wait till the situation at boardroom level looks a bit clearer. I'm not expecting any major changes in terms of playing staff until this business is completed, which is a bit of a worry.

i canna imagine Wigan letting him go for £5million. they'd surely hold out for a lot more.

then again, if the takeover goes ahead and this bloke plows money in then i'm assuming Newcastle could afford it.

We can't waste time in signing this kid or he will be gone elsewhere, if we have to wait for all the take over shite to be saorted we could be well stuffed.

We need a home game, so we can all sing "SHEPHERD OUT" I dount he would go on his own, but it may spur Mike Ashley on a bit more to see the fat fker off!

If Bale is worth 10m how on earth are we going to get Baines for 5m?

Baines is still a bairn in footballing terms, the only difference is that he has experiance at premiserhip level and is a couple of years older than Bale. For me we would have to be looking at a similar figure to that of Bale.

Didn't Allardyce say that all the transfers would be done within a few weeks? or am i imagining that?

although i'm guessing all the talk of a takeopver would throw SA's plans somewhat.

If Bale is worth 10m how on earth are we going to get Baines for 5m?

Baines is still a bairn in footballing terms, the only difference is that he has experiance at premiserhip level and is a couple of years older than Bale. For me we would have to be looking at a similar figure to that of Bale.

i canna see him being sold for £5mill, but i wouldn't have thought he'd cost £10mill like Bale. That figure would have been inflated as there were more clubs (ManU) sniffing around so Spurs would have put a large bid in just to clinch things.

If more clubs go in for Baines the same would happen.

Because Bale is overhyped because of the age he has broke through and a few free kicks. Baines is older and he didn't make an impact at such an early age.

Exactly. The chance of Bale staying at Spurs all his career is stupidly slim anyway. So why would anyone opt for someone younger and therfore less experianced for a higher price. Unless they genuinly believe he is that much better, which would suprise me to say the least.