Owen to start on Friday night for England 'B'

Wullie

Jenas, lacking stamina? That's a first for me  :o

He doesn't lack stamina, he does fail to understand the concept of a tackle though

he does fail to understand the concept of a forward pass aswell

Apart from "36 mins: GOAL - DOWNING! - Jenas chips a great ball through to Bentley on the right - he crosses first-time and substitute Downing volleys home. 2-0", yeah?

I haven't been watching btw. He might be having a s*** game. Who cares? Scored in our last 'B' match IIRC and didn't get any credit then. One of the highest scoring midfielders this season, not including penalties, and people still overlook him   :undecided:

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not knocking him at all, as he did have a great season for you guys. It's just that he could be so much better in my eyes, but you just sense he is satisfied and doesn't really push himself more. He is certainly talented though. Like I said his technique, pace and athleticism are quite outstanding. His drive, desire, aggression, strength, committment and command are very underwhelming though.

I cant argue with a villa fan, but he has played in CM for villa before the last few games of this season?

Not this season he hasn't. He's played just about everywhere on the pitch if you include previous seasons, mind.

where is he best in your opinion

I'd prefer to see him left side of our midfield, but that's based on the set up at our club. He is equally as good in central midfield. In fact, the last few games of the season he was - and I'm cringeing whilst i write this word - imperious in central midfield.

That's his downfall as far as England is concerned. He's too versatile.

Guest nufc 4 life

Dyer just gave Owen a bit of the cold shoulder, hmmmm wonder if there is something going on, serious knee-jerk however lol

Guest Triglett

He doesn't lack stamina, he does fail to understand the concept of a tackle though

Apart from "36 mins: GOAL - DOWNING! - Jenas chips a great ball through to Bentley on the right - he crosses first-time and substitute Downing volleys home. 2-0", yeah?

I haven't been watching btw. He might be having a s*** game. Who cares? Scored in our last 'B' match IIRC and didn't get any credit then. One of the highest scoring midfielders this season, not including penalties, and people still overlook him  :undecided:

out wide, not forward

Thought you mean a progressive pass. Not literally straight in front of him  :tongue:

have you seen him play?

Funnily enough, yeah. Have you? In the last two years, apart from the odd 'B' match against some random part timers? There is the slight chance that he has improved as a player. I can understand some of your sentiments, as he could do so much more, but the theory that he's completely useless is just horribly wrong. Certainly Spurs' best midfielder.

I cant argue with a villa fan, but he has played in CM for villa before the last few games of this season?

Not this season he hasn't. He's played just about everywhere on the pitch if you include previous seasons, mind.

where is he best in your opinion

I'd prefer to see him left side of our midfield, but that's based on the set up at our club. He is equally as good in central midfield. In fact, the last few games of the season he was - and I'm cringeing whilst i write this word - imperious in central midfield.

That's his downfall as far as England is concerned. He's too versatile.

If you played a 4-3-3 I think he would be an absolute beast in the Lampard roll as one of the attacking midfilders in the middle three. I actually think he has more to him than Lampard, as he can actually drive forward with the ball and skip by people which fat Lamps cannot do. What can Lampard do that he can't? Barry's shooting is very good too and you wonder how many he would score if he had a chance to shoot as often as Lampard.

Barry is so quality in my view. I remember when it looked like Souness was going to get him, I was really hopeful. Very good player.

Guest nufc 4 life

90 mins for owen and a good assist, he will be in the next england game definetely, well done to him.

Guest Triglett

I haven't been watching btw. He might be having a s*** game. Who cares? Scored in our last 'B' match IIRC and didn't get any credit then. One of the highest scoring midfielders this season, not including penalties, and people still overlook him  :undecided:

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not knocking him at all, as he did have a great season for you guys. It's just that he could be so much better in my eyes, but you just sense he is satisfied and doesn't really push himself more. He is certainly talented though. Like I said his technique, pace and athleticism are quite outstanding. His drive, desire, aggression, strength, committment and command are very underwhelming though.

That's fair enough, and I don't think you'll find too many who'll disagree with you. I don't think he will be a player who can take a game by the scruff of its neck and take control, but I don't think it's a question of commitment. He's certainly always been very industrious at Spurs, and I remember Robson saying similar when he was at Newcastle. Not sure what the answer is, but you get the feeling that he's not exactly sure what he is yet. Even 'box to box' is stretching it, possibly. I do like him though.

Bentley > Lennon.

Get him in the team Steve you smiling t***.

Agree.

At this point Lennon should be an impact sub who is brought on late in the game to run at tired defenders.

Bentley > Lennon.

Get him in the team Steve you smiling twat.

Thankfully, he's forced McClaren into making the correct decision regarding Beckham. Surely even he can't pick Beckham over Bentley after tonight? Can he?  :undecided:

Guest Triglett

I'd prefer it if Lennon wasn't involved in the international set-up at the moment. Don't think he's ready yet, and he really did suffer from burn-out by the end of the season. Bentley deserves it too. Gerrard's got the right sorted though, and I'm not sure Bentley can play on the left? Cole will be straight back in the team anyway.

Saw the last 40 minutes so can't comment on an awful lot.

Bentley looked good from what i saw of him, Barry looked quite promising aswell. Nice to see Taylor get on and he did well with a couple of big headers. Thought Jagielka was a bit naff.

I'm looking forward to that Brazil game.

Guest Knightrider

Gonna hang my neck out here and say that Owen will never be the top-class striker he was if that 90 minutes was anything to go by.

Gonna hang my neck out here and say that Owen will never be the top-class striker he was if that 90 minutes was anything to go by.

I know we're all sharpening two-ended stakes as far as Owen is concerned, but i'd still say that was a little knee-jerk. He won't be as good as he was, but i still think he's got a hell of a lot in him. Fortunately, age is on his side.

Well, you can't say you haven't given him a chance.

Guest Knightrider

He'll do a job in the Premiership still but at the very highest level he'll struggle as he's lost his pace and agility which would explain why he's bulked up as he knows he will have to adapt to a new game having lost those things that gave him the edge over big strong tactile defenders. Man Utd are welcome to him.

He'll do a job in the Premiership still but at the very highest level he'll struggle as he's lost his pace and agility which would explain why he's bulked up as he knows he will have to adapt to a new game having lost those things that gave him the edge over big strong tactile defenders. Man Utd are welcome to him.

Played just 4 games after being out for almost a year..give him at least 5 more games to get his form back and hopefully those 5 games  will be pre-season friendlys

Fairly sure he hasn't, and as has been said, you can't make judgements like that yet.

Fairly sure he hasn't, and as has been said, you can't make judgements like that yet.

I think he still looks very dangerous and I am quite surprised by how much of a threat he is looking after being out so long. He was getting in the same dangerous positions but was unlucky tonight.

Should have scored with the shot that went wide early on as well as the header he just couldn't quite make a connection with.

Bentley > Lennon.

Thankfully, he's forced McClaren into making the correct decision regarding Beckham. Surely even he can't pick Beckham over Bentley after tonight? Can he?  :undecided:

Surely he can't pick Beckham (who has been churning out good performances in La Liga) over Bentley, because he's had a good game against Albania? :lol:

I am a fan of Bentley, though. He needs to be in the squad before Jenas, Lennon, Dyer, etc.

Bentley > Lennon.

Surely he can't pick Beckham (who has been churning out good performances in La Liga) over Bentley, because he's had a good game against Albania? :lol:

I am a fan of Bentley, though. He needs to be in the squad before Jenas, Lennon etc.

One's got a future, one hasn't.  :lol:

I think he still looks very dangerous and I am quite surprised by how much of a threat he is looking after being out so long. He was getting in the same dangerous positions but was unlucky tonight.

Should have scored with the shot that went wide early on as well as the header he just couldn't quite make a connection with.

The whole "Owen not the same player" after a few games could have been predicted, oh wait I did :D

Do you not think that its more a case of him being out so long, he's spent too much time in the gym, put on too much weight and that has affected his pace? I think once he plays a bit more, some of that bulk will disappear and he'll be a lot sharper.