Houllier steps down

Guest Martin

Shame we missed out on him, but I'm happy with Sam.

Yep. SA has the stomach for the fight, GH thinks he does, whether he can withstand the pressure remains to be seen.

I'd fear for GH's health if he came here, maybe he'll be our director of football, that i would be pleased with.

Should have waited for Houllier!!!!!!

Is job is done at Lyon though i think, apart from Champs League there isnt much more he can do, if the thai's get in i could see him at city! :/

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=468630&CPID=24&clid=143&lid=2&title=Houllier+steps+down+at+Lyon

Gerard Houllier has stepped down as Lyon coach despite having steered the French giants to two successive titles since succeeding Paul Le Guen.

Speculation has been rife of late with regards Houllier's possible return to the Premiership, with the Frenchman thought to have been a contender for the Newcastle job, prior to their appointment of Sam Allardyce.

However, with the Manchester City job still available, it seems likely the former Liverpool chief will now be strongly fancied to be installed at Eastlands.

While Houllier has maintained Lyon's dominance on the domestic scene, in Europe they have struggled to make any real impression in the UEFA Champions League.

Houllier has a wealth of experience of English football and having overseen a Liverpool side that collected a plethora of trophies under his tenure, including the Uefa Cup, it seems unlikely that he will be out of work for long.

Guest Northern Boys Love Gravy!

I know houllier is a good manager in the French league, but do you honestly believe that he would be the same in the Premiership. I dont think he would...

When he was in charge of Liverpool he did ok I guess. But if Shepherd or Ashley gave him money, do you think he'd spend another 10million on a Salif Diao type of payer, or a Florence Sinama-Pongolle?? They wernt up to scratch really were they.... :idiot2:

Ranieri is more likeable, but Houllier is a better manager imo.

Bar the tinkerman who are you hoping for Spec?

Houllier doesn't tick any of the boxes of what I'm looking for. I'm of the mind that even with a whole load of money we're still a long, long way from competing for honours. I'm looking for other qualities than just going for whoever has got the most pots in his cupboard.

Houllier played ugly, counter attacking football. I don't want that.

He spunked a load of money on a load of shite - Biscan, Traore, Cheyroux, etc. I don't want that.

And he didn't do much of job with the young players. Gerrard, Carragher, came thru (And I thought the latter was very ordinary under his management), nowt else. We've got some good kids, I want someone with a track record of looking after them.

Ranieri is definetly my #1 choice, failing him, probably someone from the continent. I don't follow enough european footie to know everyone with a similar record to Ranieri. See a lot of names trotted out - Le Guen, Adrianse, etc, but I don't really know enough about them. So, short answer, if not CR - Dunno :laugh:

Houllier doesn't tick any of the boxes of what I'm looking for. I'm of the mind that even with a whole load of money we're still a long, long way from competing for honours. I'm looking for other qualities than just going for whoever has got the most pots in his cupboard.

He spunked a load of money on a load of shite - Biscan, Traore, Cheyroux, etc. I don't want that.

And he didn't do much of job with the young players. Gerrard, Carragher, came thru (And I thought the latter was very ordinary under his management), nowt else. We've got some good kids, I want someone with a track record of looking after them.

Ranieri is definetly my #1 choice, failing him, probably someone from the continent. I don't follow enough european footie to know everyone with a similar record to Ranieri. See a lot of names trotted out - Le Guen, Adrianse, etc, but I don't really know enough about them. So, short answer, if not CR - Dunno :laugh:

Weren't you keen on Paul Simpson a while back?

Weren't you keen on Paul Simpson a while back?

I surely was. But that was before there was takeover on the horizon. I'd happily take him if it all falls thru, we'll need someone with experience of managing in the championship...

He spunked a load of money on a load of s**** - Biscan, Traore, Cheyroux, etc. I don't want that.

Carragher is still very ordinary as a full-back. You're right that he's a bit iffy in the transfer market. He spunked piles of cash on rubbish, and then refused to accept that they were rubbish.

Good manager, though, with a canny knack of beating ManU.