Roman: The wallet's closed

GeordieDazzler

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007240369,00.html

ROMAN ABRAMOVICH will no longer throw his billions at Chelsea to make them successful.

The Russian owner has told the club they must operate without his money and run as a proper business.

Abramovich will remain as sole owner but has told club directors he is not interested in remaining as a key decision maker.

He made his decision known to directors Peter Kenyon, Eugene Tenenbaum and chairman Bruce Buck at a board meeting last Monday.

The summit was called to decide strategy for next season but boss Jose Mourinho was not invited to attend.

Abramovich’s move to pull the plug on his unlimited funds could now see Frank Lampard and skipper John Terry leave the club.

The two England stars have failed to agree new deals with the Blues and Abramovich has laid down the law that there has to be a wage cap.

Neither player is willing to accept a deal less than they think they are worth and could now sit out their current deals, which have two years left.

Lampard is currently paid £118,000 per week and could stay another season at Chelsea before they would be forced to sell him for a nominal sum with just a year left on his contract.

Chelsea’s only other option would be to try and cash in on him now — though so far no club has made a firm offer.

From now on, Chelsea will be limited the same as every other club and will have to generate its own budget.

The Russian owner has fallen out of love with the club and is intending to spend more time abroad and with his new girlfriend Daria Zhukova.

It is unlikely he will attend as many games as he has in the past and wants only to be informed of important issues regarding Chelsea when it is thought necessary.

The club will sign three new players this season — but hardly a penny will be spent on transfer fees.

Steve Sidwell has signed on a free from Reading and Claudio Pizarro will do likewise from Bayern Munich. Brazil’s PSV Eindhoven defender Alex is already owned by Chelsea and will arrive for a fee of one dollar in July.

It is a far cry from the first days of Abramovich’s reign as the club’s owner when he spent £74m on seven players in his first two months.

Since then, more than £250m has been spent on transfers in total and the waste of money is partly to blame for Abramovich’s disinterest.

For instance, Hernan Crespo cost £18m from Inter four years ago but has spent only two years playing for Chelsea.

Half of his £90k-per-week wage is still paid by Chelsea while he has won two titles in Italy on loan at AC Milan and now Inter.

Players like Adrian Mutu and Asier Del Horno were signed for £12m and then sold on at a fraction of their original price.

And that is without even mentioning the likes of Juan Veron, Mateja Kezman, Jiri Jarosik or Khalid Boulahrouz.

Surprised its come this quickly but was always going to happen.

Chelsea to fall apart?

possibly, although there is a lot of talent there, worth lots of money, they'll never be the average club the once were.

Guest gggg

Always going to happen. Nobody can run a business making a loss every year and he's got no chance of selling the club until they balance the books. Which'll mean selling all their star players.  :celb:

Hmm, so chelsea are without big funds anymore, arsenal on their way down and we now could have a new owner willing to pump a lot more money into us then the Glazers do at Man Utd.............

Time for us to spend big and win the league then! :celb:

Guest nyscooby

I can see players leave Chelsea like rats off a sinking ship !!

Just shows what a joke Chelsea have been since he joined.

Nothing's changed man. Does anyone honestly think Chelsea will be shittier next season? Ballack and Shevchenko will be one step closer to fully adapting to the league, Pizarro and Alex are class. There's no way they don't challenge, and they're still my pick for the title next year (if nothing significant changes).

i think man u need a more creative centre midfield player for next season. Someone they can bring off the bench when ronaldo isnt on his game or someone who can fill in when they have injuries.

Guest gggg

i think man u need a more creative centre midfield player for next season. Someone they can bring off the bench when ronaldo isnt on his game or someone who can fill in when they have injuries.

I've heard they've got a decent youth player coming through called Scholes.

The core of the Chelsea team will be there for 3+ years. They're not going anywhere. Terry's still what? 26? Lampard's what? 28? Drogba? 28? Cech? 25? Essien? 25? They're not going anywhere man.

This season they had Robben out injured for a while and Joe Cole basically injured for the whole season. Next season you can expect at least one of them to fit longer and play more regularly. And of course like I've mentioned before, Ballack and Shevchenko will get better, maybe not by much, but they'll perform better.

Not sure where they've got that Pizarro thing from, first I've heard of it.

Anyway, the major story in that piece is that poor Frank Lampard won't get an increase in his wages from £118,000 p/w. A disgrace if you ask me. All these footballers on high wages, yet hard-working people like Lampard get hardly anything. Chelsea should be ashamed.

Early stages i know, but if United get in a good centre-forward, they'll win it by a landslide next year imo.

Man Utd will be a frightening prospect if they can sign somebody like Berbatov to partner with Rooney/play up front alone. I shudder at the thought.

It has always been Kenyon's intention to run Chelsea as a proper business anyway, if you look up their old financial reports you'll see him talking about them aiming to break even by a certain date, most of the losses they've made have not only been on signings but on buying out contracts the club have been previously signed up to so they can sign bigger contracts now they're a much bigger brand.

They also don't need £100's of millions every summer either, that was just to get a top class squad together in the first place, all they need to do now is add a few players each years like Man Utd do.

Chelsea look like becoming the richest club in the World in the near future so to write them off now is quite frankly ridiculous tbh.