Scott Parker signs for West Ham - £6.5m (+£500k) fee confirmed

Dokko

SAM Allardyce is ready to step up his pursuit of Nicolas Anelka after Bolton chairman Phil Gartside revealed that Manchester United have no intention of signing the in-demand Frenchman.

Allardyce is preparing an £8m offer for the 28-year-old after forging a profitable relationship with him at the Reebok Stadium last season.

And while Anelka recently claimed that he would only be interested in leaving Bolton to join a "top-four club", confirmation that Manchester United will not be bidding for his services has strengthened Newcastle's chances of signing him.

advertisement

Anelka, who almost joined the Magpies under former manager Graeme Souness in 2005, made an £8m move from Fenerbahce to Bolton last summer.

He arrived in Lancashire with a reputation for surliness following previous spells at Arsenal, Real Madrid, Paris St Germain and Manchester City, but Allardyce quickly got the best out of him as he scored 12 goals in 38 games for the Trotters.

That form has persuaded his former manager to attempt to sign him again this summer. With the future of both Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins still up in the air, Allardyce is keen to bolster his attacking resources as quickly as possible, and Anelka's arrival would enable the Magpies boss to listen to offers for one of his other centre-forwards.

His chances of signing the France international appeared slight last week, when Manchester United were heavily linked with a bid of their own.

But with Gartside insisting that United chief executive David Gill has categorically ruled out a move for Anelka, the path would appear to be clear for the Magpies.

"David Gill has confirmed to me that Manchester United have no interest in Nicolas Anelka," confirmed the Trotters chief, who remains a close personal friend of Allardyce.

Sammy Lee will resist any attempt to prise Anelka from the Reebok Stadium but, despite the striker still having three years of his current deal to run, the Bolton boss will struggle to hold onto his prize asset if he publicly seeks a switch.

Allardyce is hoping to play Anelka in the same team as Joey Barton next season, and the latter is expected to arrive on Tyneside for a medical within the next 24 hours.

Newcastle remain favourites to pip West Ham for the England international's signature, although discussions over a proposed financial package for the deal have proved more problematic than expected.

The Magpies originally offered half of the £5.5m required to trigger Barton's release clause up front, with the remainder of the balance to be paid later this month.

Manchester City officials are holding out for the full amount up front though and, with Newcastle's financial situation complicated by billionaire businessman Mike Ashley's current takeover bid, their demands have proved difficult to meet.

West Ham have signalled their interest in the 26-year-old but, crucially, Barton has set his heart on a move to St James' Park.

That will be enough to clinch the deal, and things should become easier once Scott Parker completes his £7m move to West Ham. The Magpies skipper was in London yesterday undergoing a medical and discussing personal terms.

Provided Parker's transfer goes through as expected later today, Barton's arrival will be confirmed later this week.

Newcastle's pursuit of David Rozehnal is also nearing fruition with their leading rivals, Borussia Dortmund, having dropped out of a bidding war for the Czech centre-half.

Dortmund's offer of £2.3m has been rejected by Rozehnal's current employers, Paris St Germain, and the Bundesliga outfit have refused to go any higher.

Allardyce is ready to go much closer to Paris St Germain's valuation of around £3.3m, a move that would enable him to begin contract discussions with the 26-year-old's representatives.

Meanwhile, former Newcastle defender Titus Bramble and striker Antoine Sibierski have both joined Wigan Athletic on free transfers.

Bramble, 25, who was released from St James' Park at the end of last season, has signed a three-year deal at the JJB Stadium to become Chris Hutchings' first signing as Wigan boss.

Sibierski last night teamed up again with Bramble by signing a two-year deal.

Allardyce's backroom re-organisation has begun in earnest with Newcastle advertising for sports therapists, sports masseurs, a chiropractor and a nutritionist on their official club website.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/latest/display.var.1446828.0.allardyce_ready_to_table_8m_bid_for_wanderer_anelka.php

Guest eyeball_tickler

i hope he doesnt forget we currently only have 1 good defender. £8 million seems like a lot for a player we dont really need (providing viduka signs)

It will all be in hand..

I dont see him turning up at the first day of training then realising he didnt buy any defenders. It will piece together in time.

I would doubt we are really interested, but Anelka would be an excellent signing, would possibly signal the end of Ameobi if we signed Viduka, but 5 would be a decent pool of players to pick from, especially if we want to compete on 3 fronts next season and given our luck with injuries.

It will all be in hand..

I dont see him turning up at the first day of training then realising he didnt buy any defenders. It will piece together in time.

I would doubt we are really interested, but Anelka would be an excellent signing, would possibly signal the end of Ameobi if we signed Viduka, but 5 would be a decent pool of players to pick from, especially if we want to compete on 3 fronts next season and given our luck with injuries.

Or it could mean Martins or Owen will be sold.

I don't understand the whole Barton to West Ham thing. If West Ham win the deal to sign Barton then very simply Scott Parker won't leave. Parker will only leave if we get Barton so I really think WHU have to decide who they want cause they aint going to get both.

I don't understand the whole Barton to West Ham thing. If West Ham win the deal to sign Barton then very simply Scott Parker won't leave. Parker will only leave if we get Barton so I really think WHU have to decide who they want cause they aint going to get both.

Aye thats what I said in the other thread. If we "miss" out on Barton I wouldn't be too fussed as I think we could get someone with a lot less baggage to replace Parker but the saga is starting to drag on so I would like it resolved one way or another soon!

But in the article at the top of the page, it was saying about Parker moving later today and Barton being finalised later this week.  If Parker does go to the bingo club today, what would stop them going after Barton as well, or am I missing something here?  With all the talk of them having more than £50m to spend and salaries all at the top end, they could get all the players they want if the players are only interested in the moey and nothing else.

Guest Northern Boys Love Gravy!

But in the article at the top of the page, it was saying about Parker moving later today and Barton being finalised later this week.  If Parker does go to the bingo club today, what would stop them going after Barton as well, or am I missing something here?  With all the talk of them having more than £50m to spend and salaries all at the top end, they could get all the players they want if the players are only interested in the moey and nothing else.

heard on SSN that WHU are plannin of buyin Barton aswel....

Apparently theyve offered £1mill more in wages a year. Could be interestin.... :idiot2:

Guest taps01

it also says in the artice at the top that barton has his heart set on a move to st james's park

Yes but that's all guess work by the press. If Sam has any sense, now he can talk to Barton he gets that sorted first then agrees to sell Parker and both deals go through on the same day.

Can't see Barton wanting to move there instead of us. Money or not, he knows Parker is probably going there and he's been very vocal in his admiration for Allardyce since he took over here.

It's just Willie the Wanker trying to up the money involved imo.

I thought that was the idea anyway....

Why am i starting to get the feelin that WHU will end up snatchin both players from under our nose?  :idiot2:

it also says in the artice at the top that barton has his heart set on a move to st james's park

As I said earlier, his agent was on the radio earlier saying they were going to talk to the bingo club today.  Barton's heart may be set on SJP but his wallet may tell him to go elsewhere.

I just hope we get the deals wrapped up asap. for example tal-ben haim, leighton baines, and barton for example.

Some of the stick Parker gets is unbelievable imo. Quite happy for him to go for £7million though. Butt is a better DM and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

I think over his time at the club there have been more posts on this forum claiming how great he is and that is what is unbelievable.

There was a time not too long ago when those who thought Parker was crap and said so were in a very small minority on here. It seems he's been sussed now by the majority. It took a long time but that's ok, just as long as this heap of talentless s**** buggers off.

I was having a dig at the sheep. I think you called him right before most, along with Crumpy, although the criticism was ott. He's a canny player but nothing special imo. I think a move suits all parties.

In fairness though i called it very early in the peace - ie. at the time of his signing - and when the vast majority were salivating over his 'gutsy defensive hacker-esque' performances under Clueless, when utilized as a sideline-to-sideline protector of the back 4, i also claimed that this particular role upset our formational balance across the midfield line.

I know i hate the waiting. As much as i like summer break with all the transfers rumours i hate waiting for our transfers to go through as they seem to take forever. Like Man U signed Nani and Anderson in one night.

Its like nothing gets mentioned for weeks, and you almost start thinking that we must of lost interest in the player we are being linked with.... tal-ben haim was a good example, in the papers for weeks saying that he is going to be the first signing of the allardyce era, but guess not....

Well if Barton chose a club just because of the money i wouldnt want him here!

i think its fair to say that most players recently have chosen us because of money.

parker, duff and owen to name just 3

Guest alex

Some of the stick Parker gets is unbelievable imo. Quite happy for him to go for £7million though. Butt is a better DM and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

I think over his time at the club there have been more posts on this forum claiming how great he is and that is what is unbelievable.

There was a time not too long ago when those who thought Parker was crap and said so were in a very small minority on here. It seems he's been sussed now by the majority. It took a long time but that's ok, just as long as this heap of talentless s**** buggers off.

I was having a dig at the sheep. I think you called him right before most, along with Crumpy, although the criticism was ott. He's a canny player but nothing special imo. I think a move suits all parties.

In fairness though i called it very early in the peace - ie. at the time of his signing - and when the vast majority were salivating over his 'gutsy defensive hacker-esque' performances under Clueless, when utilized as a sideline-to-sideline protector of the back 4, i also claimed that this particular role upset our formational balance across the midfield line.

Well done to you too then ;)