Scott Parker signs for West Ham - £6.5m (+£500k) fee confirmed

Dokko

No better than Guthrie.

Parker is lot better than Guthrie.

He wasn't when he played here.

Parker in his first season here was miles better, his 2nd only a lot better.

Parker in his first season was very poor with the odd exception (Arsenal at home the obvious). His distribution was very poor, he didn't get forward and he couldn't form a partnership with any of the other central midfielders. He didn't look comfortable being the one to get forward more (alongside Butt) or the more defensively minded (alongside Emre). He looked clueless the majority of the time, and it was no surprise that we massively improved as a team when he was out with glandular fever in the second half of the season.

He wasn't without his attributes, he could time his tackling pretty well and had a lot of energy, but his reading of the game was hopeless (2-2 with ManU at home he was twice dragged out of position trying to play the hero and ultimately leaving Scholes free to score). He also had very little creativity - the majority of his passes seemed to go to the left back after endless pirouettes - and posed little to no goal threat.

From what I've seen of Guthrie he offers a similar amount on the pitch to what I saw from Parker, only he looks to have more potential. Parker may well have improved at West Ham, can't say I've watched them much this season, but I don't remember him looking up to much when we lost 3-1 at the Boleyn Ground.

False. Everything you're referring to was in his second season under Roeder when he was captain surely? In his first season he was effective in linking the defence with attack and particularly good at breaking down the oppositions play.

Second season he was ineffective and looked out of his depth as captain.

Agree with that. It was in his second season when Roeder tried to use him as an attacking midfielder that it all went wrong.

And Mowen's criticism of Parker not linking with Butt in Parker's first season is bollox as Butt was on loan at Birmingham then.

Fair play, obviously got my seasons mixed up on that one.

If Parker was so outstanding in our first season, why were we an awful team that only got better once Roeder came in and Parker wasn't playing any more? Why did we look much more capable of playing the ball through the middle and liking play between defence and attack once he wasn't playing anymore?

He looked the best of a bad bunch because he put big slide tackles in, but he really wasn't.

I wish HTL was here, he'd back me up :lol:

This coincided with Souness leaving, nothing to do with Parker in that season.

We were awful for two seasons with one small exception, and Parker wasn't playing in that period. The team was noticably worse when he was in it. By the way, everyone seems to think I'm saying he's shit, I'm not at all - I said he's no better than Guthrie. They're both pretty average.

Guest Mucky01

how can he still get away with those 2 footed, scissor kick lunges that he launches at the opposition all the time?

I thought they had changed the rules to stop all that insane tackling?

Guest Heneage

Parker was good in his first season as a tough tackler. He made one of the best tackles i've ever seen against Watford at home in his own box. But he had his flaws, the whole turning circle was annoying, at first it seemed clever and that he had vision and looked calm, but it turned out to be the opposite.

He completely lost his way here, him and Duff ran round like a couple of mad dogs chasing their own tails. Each had to do a 360 as soon as they got the ball.

Mind you Souness deploying him as the water carrier for the play maker that was Amdy Faye was something else. I still get the shivers thinking about just what the fuck Souness was on. It must have been some serious gear.

I'll never forget his tackle on Joe Cole, it was brilliant.

I agree. But it's one outstanding performance against Arsenal and a few memorable tackles like that which seem to have people viewing him as a much better player than he actually is. Apart from being an excellent tackler he wasn't much special. Doesn't read the game that well, very rarely dribbles, not a great finisher, not a great passer, lacks composure. Much better than Nicky Butt though, obviously.

I'm glad we sold him if only because when Butt eventually goes I want to replace him with a big CM who can boss the middle of the park like M'Bia or Veloso. Parker in comparison is a pesky gnat without any great defensive or attacking qualities, just a tidy player with a good work ethic.

I'm glad we sold him if only because when Butt eventually goes I want to replace him with a big CM who can boss the middle of the park like M'Bia or Veloso. Parker in comparison is a pesky gnat without any great defensive or attacking qualities, just a tidy player with a good work ethic.

I have watched him 2 games of late & he does not boss a midfield.

I have watched him 2 games of late & he does not boss a midfield.

He wasn't arsed in the first game, second game I saw he looked a lot better.

Was disapointed we let him go tbh, putting him back to dm alongside barton would have been good. We needed income though.

To buy who?Never been replaced as our DM.As Butt,who was here when he left stepped in.

I think it was more a notion that Barton coming in would replace Parker (and level out the transfer fee), the thought of moving Parker back to DM (where he had performed best) wasnt even considered, also probably and now Ironically we thought we were overstocked in midfield too.