David Rozehnal

Guest Darth Toon

Guest samtoonarmy

Great signing. I havent herd a great deal about him but what I have herd he does sound like a good solid defender and I think he will be a great player for us.  :celb:

I just hope theres more defenders on there way!

and via the middle east by the looks of that photo... naughty donkey

That looks to me more like Pakistan, Bangladesh maybe some parts of india close to the border with the earlier two...

Definitely NOT Middleast...

Guest khainufc

PRESENTING

David Rozehnal

DAVID ROZEHNAL FACTFILE

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1064477,00.html

Czech International David Rozehnal was Sam Allardyce's third signing as manager of Newcastle United on 29 June 2007 when the Sternberk born defender put pen to paper on a four-year-deal at St. James' Park from Paris St Germain - United beating off competition from Borussia Dortmund for his signature.

David, an accomplished centre-half with 34 international caps to his name, began his career at Sigma Olomouc in 1999 where he played 72 games, scoring twice. He then moved to Club Brugge in 2003 and in two seasons in Belgium he played a further 50 matches, one goal, before transferring to Paris St Germain in July 2005.

David played for the Czechs at Euro 2004 in Portugal and also in Germany at the 2006 World Cup - playing against USA, Ghana and Italy in the opening round as the Czechs surprisingly crashed out of the tournament after the group stage.

Last season at Paris St Germain, David was voted his club's Player of the Season and was also selected in the Ligue 1 team of the season in France.

David played eight times for the Czech Under 21s before making his debut in February 2004 for the senior team against Italy.

David, who will be the second Czech to play for the Magpies, after Pavel Srnicek, remarkably becomes the sixth United player to join the club from Paris St Germain, following in the footsteps of David Ginola (1995), Didier Domi (1998), Alain Goma (1999), Laurent Robert (2001) and Sylvain Distin (2001).

Born 5 July 1980, Sternberk, Czech Republic

Height 6'03" (1.91m)

Weight 80kg

Position Defender

Squad Number TBC

Date Signed 29 June 2007

Debut TBC

Previous Clubs Sigma Olomouc 1999-03 (72 (2), Club Brugge 2003-05 (50 (1), PSG 2005-07 (78 (1)

International Career 34 Czech caps, 0 goals; 8 Czech Under 21 caps, I goal

Debut 18 February 2004 v Italy

and via the middle east by the looks of that photo... naughty donkey

That looks to me more like Pakistan, Bangladesh maybe some parts of india close to the border with the earlier two...

Definitely NOT Middleast...

Was gonna say Northern Africa personally (Morocco/Tunisia), but you could be right. :D

Pleased that this has finally got wrapped up, and Sam's long term plans for the guy sound spot on in all honesty. Obviously, the guy's hardly a world beater, and he's never played in this league before. With the other signings we'll make (hopefully more proven options than Edmilson), we can afford to ease him in. Was a shame we weren't in the same position when Onyewu came here.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Did you know they put a sell on clause in his contract!

This is not the time for that kind of jokes really...

NEWCASTLE UNITED PLC

Newcastle United Plc is pleased to announce the finalisation of the transfer of

Czech International defender David Rozenhal from Paris Saint Germain (PSG) for a

transfer fee of €4.3m, with a further €0.3m payable contingent on future

appearances of the player for Newcastle United. A maximum of €0.25m may also be

payable to PSG if the player registration is sold for more than €5.25m in the

future.

No joke mate its in black and white.

Guest sicko2ndbest

so basically PSG get around 150k if we sell him for more than £3 million or so, hardly devastating really

I only deal in facts dont shoot the messanger  ;)

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=474727&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=Czech+eyes+Premier+education

Newcastle's new signing David Rozehnal is hoping his sojourn in the Premier League will toughen him up.

The Czech Republic international has moved to St James' Park from Paris Saint Germain in a £2.9million deal, despite attracting interest from Borussia Dortmund and Sevilla as well.

Rozehnal freely admits he is not the most robust of defenders, but hopes his move to England and the physically demanding Premier League will add a new dimension to his game.

"I believe that the Premiership will give me the toughness that I still don't have at the level I need," Rozehnal told Sport. "I will not get it without hard work.

"I go there to work hard to improve myself in this attribute. Only if I am not successful, I will start thinking why.

"I started as a striker, then I moved into midfield and eventually I became a defender, that is the main reason [why toughness is lacking].

"Even though, I think I have improved a lot in this attribute. Of course though, it is not there yet."

Magpies boss Sam Allardyce saw off late interest from Sevilla to clinch Rozehnal's signature, whilst Borussia Dortmund were priced out of a bid for the defender.

Rozehnal admits he was happy to choose England, even if he still holds La Liga in great regard.

"Any of those other clubs would not have been a disappointment for me," said Rozehnal.

"After that though, when I returned from my first visit to Newcastle, I realised that it has really turned out as best as it could. I am excited.

"Of course I am still dreaming [of Spain]. I have always dreamed of Spain and that will not fade away quickly.

"Anyway, what I have managed to see in England so far, I can say that I would not mind if I stayed here for a couple of years."

At least the bloke's honest, I suppose. Nice to see that he's fully aware of his apparent major weakness and that he intends to improve on it - especially after quite a few people on here mentioned his size for a centre-half.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=474727&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=Czech+eyes+Premier+education

Newcastle's new signing David Rozehnal is hoping his sojourn in the Premier League will toughen him up.

The Czech Republic international has moved to St James' Park from Paris Saint Germain in a £2.9million deal, despite attracting interest from Borussia Dortmund and Sevilla as well.

Rozehnal freely admits he is not the most robust of defenders, but hopes his move to England and the physically demanding Premier League will add a new dimension to his game.

"I believe that the Premiership will give me the toughness that I still don't have at the level I need," Rozehnal told Sport. "I will not get it without hard work.

"I go there to work hard to improve myself in this attribute. Only if I am not successful, I will start thinking why.

"I started as a striker, then I moved into midfield and eventually I became a defender, that is the main reason [why toughness is lacking].

"Even though, I think I have improved a lot in this attribute. Of course though, it is not there yet."

Magpies boss Sam Allardyce saw off late interest from Sevilla to clinch Rozehnal's signature, whilst Borussia Dortmund were priced out of a bid for the defender.

Rozehnal admits he was happy to choose England, even if he still holds La Liga in great regard.

"Any of those other clubs would not have been a disappointment for me," said Rozehnal.

"After that though, when I returned from my first visit to Newcastle, I realised that it has really turned out as best as it could. I am excited.

"Of course I am still dreaming [of Spain]. I have always dreamed of Spain and that will not fade away quickly.

"Anyway, what I have managed to see in England so far, I can say that I would not mind if I stayed here for a couple of years."

At least the bloke's honest, I suppose. Nice to see that he's fully aware of his apparent major weakness and that he intends to improve on it - especially after quite a few people on here mentioned his size for a centre-half.

You don't have to be physically tough when you are his size, as long as he throws himself about and commands a bit of respect he'll do fine. I guess we plan to put another stone on him in muscle which he could do with, but tbf, he could easily get by without it if he's mentally strong.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest elbee909

I find it odd that people talk about muscularity as if it's all that important for a centre-half.  Woodgate was hardly what you'd call Mr. Universe but he was still strong - fitness problems notwithstanding.  Rio Ferdinand isn't exactly herculean either.

Can anyone tell me that's been to the 2 friendlies, whether they think this guy can do the business in the prem?

Or is he another dope head like all the rest!

Answers on a post card!

havent been there but people have mainly been impressed with him.