Dein to be offered role of Chief Executive

stozo

In both the People and the Mirror this morning that David Dein will be offered the job of Chief Executive once Mike Ashley has completed his takeover.

Also in the Sunday Sun - Link

Newcastle's would-be new owner Mike Ashley has targeted his first big signing - former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein.

Ashley, who is set to take full control of United, possibly this week, wants friend and neighbour Dein to run the club and deliver his dreams of glory.

Publicity-shy Ashley is loath to involve himself in day to day matters at St James's Park.

Instead, the billionaire wants to install a dynamic, experienced operator in the dual role of chairman/chief executive long performed by current Newcastle supremo Freddy Shepherd.

And Dein - the man who took Arsene Wenger to Arsenal in 1996 - fits the bill perfectly.

During 24 years with the Gunners, Dein forged a reputation as one of European football's key powerbrokers.

As well as establishing Arsenal as a formidable force on the pitch, he became vice-chairman of the FA, before representing the Premier League on the FA board.

Dein was pivotal in the FA's successful bid to land Sven-Goran Eriksson as England coach and was one of the panel who chose Steve McClaren as the Swede's successor.

He was also chairman of the G14 group of European super clubs until leaving Arsenal last month amid a row over his support for a proposed takeover of the club by American tycoon Stan Kroenke.

Dein and Ashley have homes literally yards apart in London's exclusive Totteridge Common, and know each other well.

But it may need much persuasion for Dein to come on board at Newcastle, with the long-time Gunner harbouring long-term hopes of a return to Arsenal.

It is understood that Kroenke would look to reinstate Dein in an executive position if he goes on to win control of the London giants.

However, if Dein was to take charge of Newcastle, it would place a further question mark against the future of new United boss Sam Allardyce.

During his days at Bolton, Allardyce was fiercely critical of Dein's influence within football.

And that raises the distant but tantalising prospect of Arsene Wenger - who was dismayed by long-time ally Dein's exit from Arsenal - being targeted for the manager's job at St James's Park.

Another good move for us then, also might open the door to Wenger in the future.

To be honest I think Wenger is getting ot the stage where he'll be too old for a new job. He's 57 and in a few years will be 60.

Dein was the man though who also got Sven for England and tried to get Big Phil for England.

Guest khyberpass

Dein is at the top of the food chain when it comes to chiefs....think it would be a class appointment, but not sure a man who IS Arsenal through and through would come to the Toon.

Almost certainly already had a man in mind to replace Wenger when he retired (which Wenger had always stated would be the case after Arse); that may be the most interesting factor...Big Phil S in charge would be v. entertaining!!!!

BUT FFS, give Sam a chance 1st!

I would be furious if Sam got sacked after his first year, it would be ridiculous, im more excited about what he will do more than all of the changes at the minute, Newcastle is a FOOTBALL club not just a business and Sam knows his football, let him sort out our shambles of a squad and setup first, that is the first step to our new look club.

"Instead, the billionaire wants to install a dynamic, experienced operator in the dual role of chairman/chief executive long performed by current Newcastle supremo Freddy Shepherd."

Something Freddy could have and should have done years ago.  Sadly.

Whether this is true or not, it another good positive piece of press for us.

We need to get as much positive PR as possible to help develop a feelgood factor around the club and the city

Guest Ridzuan

I think this would be a good move if it really happens.I thought Dein had done well during his time with Arsenal.Im guessing if Big Sam cant do the job that Ashley wants in a season time,he will go for Wenger maybe.

Whether this is true or not, it another good positive piece of press for us.

We need to get as much positive PR as possible to help develop a feelgood factor around the club and the city

"Agreed / Agreed / Agreed!!"

There has been, and even now still is, such a lot of 'automatic' inferiority-complex thinking, speaking and writing, around this club for so long.

I have to say, I can sort of understand why! 

But that is no excuse.

POSITIVITY, is hopefully going to become newly-fashionable around here, from now on?

Would rather have Big Sam and look to the future with him than have someone like Dein come in and start another shake-up. Not needed imo.

this club needs a good shake up from top to bottom and it should have been a long time ago ,if we sit still we die .

Guest Deep456

I would be furious if Sam got sacked after his first year, it would be ridiculous, im more excited about what he will do more than all of the changes at the minute, Newcastle is a FOOTBALL club not just a business and Sam knows his football, let him sort out our shambles of a squad and setup first, that is the first step to our new look club.

:clap: :clap: :clap: We never knew.

Guest sittingontheball

Sounds good to me. Much better than that "Geordie Nation" broken record.

Mind you, if he sells the naming rights to the stadium, I hope someone breaks both his legs.

Would rather have Big Sam and look to the future with him than have someone like Dein come in and start another shake-up. Not needed imo.

this club needs a good shake up from top to bottom and it should have been a long time ago ,if we sit still we die .

No ur absolutely right. I wouldnt mind having Dein come in with Ashley, as long as we keep Big Sam is what Im trying to say.

Having said that, I would rather Dein did not come in if that meant removing Allardyce and installing anyone else. I really believe Big Sam's appointment will prove even more historic for this club than any appointment of a Wenger or Scolari.

Not even sure on the Ashley issue should he not see that Big Sam is the way forward.

No ur absolutely right. I wouldnt mind having Dein come in with Ashley, as long as we keep Big Sam is what Im trying to say.

Having said that, I would rather Dein did not come in if that meant removing Allardyce and installing anyone else. I really believe Big Sam's appointment will prove even more historic for this club than any appointment of a Wenger or Scolari.

Not even sure on the Ashley issue should he not see that Big Sam is the way forward.

Am in agreement with that apart from the highlighted bit, Sam is solid but there are better and the two mentioned are much better.

Good if he'll do well, but i don't like this speculaiton over sam already.  We've finally got a good manager, who's just starting to work the transfer market and build a good team right through, and his future's in doubt before he's managed a game.

Good if he'll do well, but i don't like this speculaiton over sam already.  We've finally got a good manager, who's just starting to work the transfer market and build a good team right through, and his future's in doubt before he's managed a game.

Only on here.

These are 'the big plans' then? Didnt they also say allardyce would have a year to prove himself?

Wenger being lined up too? How ridiculous does that sound?

I see on BBC rumours that Henry is said to be moving to Barcelona for £15m.