Alcoholic sponsors on kids shirts banned.

Mr. Snrub

Just seen this on the news there.  I wish every club had no sponsor on their shirt at all, but this is fucking ridiculous.  We're turning into the French!

Young fans of some of Britain’s most popular football teams will have to wait until they are grown-ups to wear exact replica shirts after a ban on booze ads was announced today.

Clubs including Liverpool, Everton, Rangers and Celtic will be forced to blank out alcohol sponsorship on all their children’s size kits if they decide to renew the contracts with their current shirt sponsors.

The new voluntary code from the alcohol industry’s social responsibility organization, the Portman Group, supported by the English FA, will cover all teams, including cricket and rugby clubs.

If teams do not comply with the voluntary code, which will apply to all new or renewed contracts signed after January 1st next year, then the alcohol brand will be removed from the shelves of Britain’s stores, they were warned today.

David Poley, chief executive of the Portman Group, said the move came about because drinks companies were concerned their image was being damaged by youngsters acting as "walking billboards" for booze.

Yeah, a kid gets a football top with Carling on it, clearly means he'll turn into an alcoholic wreck.  :rolleyes:

Just seen this on the news there.  I wish every club had no sponsor on their shirt at all, but this is fucking ridiculous.  We're turning into the French!

Young fans of some of Britains most popular football teams will have to wait until they are grown-ups to wear exact replica shirts after a ban on booze ads was announced today.

Clubs including Liverpool, Everton, Rangers and Celtic will be forced to blank out alcohol sponsorship on all their childrens size kits if they decide to renew the contracts with their current shirt sponsors.

The new voluntary code from the alcohol industrys social responsibility organization, the Portman Group, supported by the English FA, will cover all teams, including cricket and rugby clubs.

If teams do not comply with the voluntary code, which will apply to all new or renewed contracts signed after January 1st next year, then the alcohol brand will be removed from the shelves of Britains stores, they were warned today.

David Poley, chief executive of the Portman Group, said the move came about because drinks companies were concerned their image was being damaged by youngsters acting as "walking billboards" for booze.

Yeah, a kid gets a football top with Carling on it, clearly means he'll turn into an alcoholic wreck.  :rolleyes:

I'm sure it did, what a load of shit. :tickedoff:

Just seen this on the news there.  I wish every club had no sponsor on their shirt at all, but this is f****** ridiculous.  We're turning into the French!

Young fans of some of Britain’s most popular football teams will have to wait until they are grown-ups to wear exact replica shirts after a ban on booze ads was announced today.

Clubs including Liverpool, Everton, Rangers and Celtic will be forced to blank out alcohol sponsorship on all their children’s size kits if they decide to renew the contracts with their current shirt sponsors.

The new voluntary code from the alcohol industry’s social responsibility organization, the Portman Group, supported by the English FA, will cover all teams, including cricket and rugby clubs.

If teams do not comply with the voluntary code, which will apply to all new or renewed contracts signed after January 1st next year, then the alcohol brand will be removed from the shelves of Britain’s stores, they were warned today.

Since when did Carling have alcohol in it?  :lol:

People obviously unaware how advertising works. 

Not a particularly bad move, still probably not needed all the same.

yup, will be a blow for the relevant companies but wouldn't be suprised if they carried on sponsoring teams regardless due to the exposure the firms get on tv especially to the lucrative asian market. Probably find there'll be someway around it though, and i presume this means the Carling Cup will have to be changed as if not it renders the ban absolutely laughable.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Young fans of some of Britains most popular football teams will have to wait until they are grown-ups to wear exact replica shirts after a ban on booze ads was announced today.

Clubs including Liverpool, Everton, Rangers and Celtic will be forced to blank out alcohol sponsorship on all their childrens size kits if they decide to renew the contracts with their current shirt sponsors.

The new voluntary code from the alcohol industrys social responsibility organization, the Portman Group, supported by the English FA, will cover all teams, including cricket and rugby clubs.

If teams do not comply with the voluntary code, which will apply to all new or renewed contracts signed after January 1st next year, then the alcohol brand will be removed from the shelves of Britains stores, they were warned today.

most of these kids are in Glasgow, so yes

Guest Knightrider

What a namby pamby country we really do live in, patronising fuckers. Mind, I abhor any form of advertising on things like football shirts (one of the main reasons why I no longer buy them) so I'm not fussed like.

What a namby pamby country we really do live in, patronising fuckers. Mind, I abhor any form of advertising on things like football shirts (one of the main reasons why I no longer buy them) so I'm not fussed like.

Makes more sense than someone having their plastic pig banned from sitting on top of their computer at work as some fuker has a problem with eating bacon.

Guest TheOrder

fair enough tbh.  :thup:

People would be pissed off it they had 'Lambert & Butler' sprawled across them.

Thats class :D

In my country, all advertising for alcoholic drinks is prohibited. But surely children shouldn't be taught that bland drinks like Carlsberg and Carling are real beer anyway.

Norway?

Its the same here in the Middle East, Liverpool replace the Carlsberg logo in their shirt  with "Liverpool" .

I think they should think about coming down harder on footballers that break laws and cause disruption in public because in my mind that has more effect on a kid than a word on shirt

Guest Alan Shearer 9

What a namby pamby country we really do live in, patronising fuckers.

schpot on

I think they should think about coming down harder on footballers that break laws and cause disruption in public because in my mind that has more effect on a kid than a word on shirt

Fuck that, we are on the verge of signing Joey Barton!