Premiership hurts England - Poom

AyeDubbleYoo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6703431.stm

Estonia goalkeeper Mart Poom has suggested England's difficulties at international level could be caused by the Premier League's competitiveness.

Estonia face England in a crucial Euro 2008 qualifier on 6 June, with Steve McClaren's side desperate to win to boost their qualification hopes.

"It's very hard to have the best and the biggest league and also the best national team," Poom told BBC Sport

All those players will be involved in the Champions League as well as the two domestic English cups.

"That type of schedule is very demanding and by the time an international game comes around players often seem drained - they aren't robots.

I think Poom has a point here, and it made me think - would it be better to take a different approach to selecting the national team, picking fresh and hungry players from the lesser Premierleage sides and even the Championship?

Would we get better performances at international level?

Guest Knightrider

Both are problems but the overiding issue as to why England fail at the highest level simply boils down to the football culture in England on and off the pitch and until we recify this we will continue to fail. We simply aren't producing the players correctly or handling them properly when they do come through.

S

Both are problems but the overiding issue as to why England fail at the highest level simply boils down to the football culture in England on and off the pitch and until we recify this we will continue to fail. We simply aren't producing the players correctly or handling them properly when they do come through.

Blame the FA, they like to have there pushover patsy's in place.  Big Phil would have done wonders for England.  Instead, they install a shittier English version of Sven.  Though, if they had half a brain, we'd be up shit's creek still stuck with Roeder. 

Codswallop. We're crap because our managers are crap. When we've had a manager who knew what he was doing we've got to semis. The competent ones got us to competitions, the complete idiots failed to even qualify.

I thought having no good wingers, a central midfield pairing that just does not work, a fat, dodgy keeper and a lack of good strikers is why the England national team is shite.  Fair enough, though, it's actually because the Premiership is too tough.

I thought having no good wingers, a central midfield pairing that just does not work, a fat, dodgy keeper and a lack of good strikers is why the England national team is shite.  Fair enough, though, it's actually because the Premiership is too tough.

Spot on, sadly.

I think this has been a problem for many years now. By the time that major international tournaments or other games come round at the end of the season, our players are knackered and unable to play the kind of high tempo game which we need.

That, and our younger players spend too much time competing, and not enough time practising their technique - although I think this is a problem that is improving.

I thought having no good wingers, a central midfield pairing that just does not work, a fat, dodgy keeper and a lack of good strikers is why the England national team is s****.  Fair enough, though, it's actually because the Premiership is too tough.

Can't agree really.

I'm not English so I can look at England in a fairly detached manner and I have to say there should be absolutely nothing stopping England from winning the big tournaments.

No stand out goalkeepers at the moment but its certainly not a glaring weakness.

Incredible talent in defense.

One of the best midfielders in the world in Gerrad and countless other top players.

Rooney and Owen up front, not fantastic options after that but hardly a real problem.

The problem is the manager. You need a strong minded manager who won't just be a yes-man that tries to keep everybody happy rather than playing the best team he can put out.

Instead you have McClaren, who's a fucking woefully average Premiership boss, not fit in the least to manage such a talented group of players as what England have.

Really missed the boat with Scolari, he'd have been fantastic for you lot.

Could do worse though, you could have Steve Staunton in charge. He still persists on playing John O'Shea at right-back and Steve Finnan at left-back for a thus far unexplained reason.  :lol:

What Shak says.

Throughout the history, constantly successful teams like Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina etc have always picked the strongest teams available, bar those players at odds with the managers. It is not only about constantly successful teams, but less successful teams have always picked the strongest available. It is common sense really you can't win anything without quality.

England B against Albania. Despite the supposed overwhelming difference in reputations, and the "hunger" of the lesser English players, England did not really prevail one-sidedly in the game.

THe problem lies on the manager. There is no 100% accurate yardstick to gauge a manager before appointing them (Klinsmann a roaring success; Staunton, Donadelli not so. Lippi + Scholari are good to their teams but not Sven)

But it is definitely silly to appoint Steve McLaren, when at the time there were obviously better and more qualified managers interested in the job, Sam Allardyce, Martin O'neill, Luis Felipe Scolari etc. If the FA blame Sven for the previous failure, it is pure hypocrisy to promote the assistant manager of the said regime. After potraying himself as someone set up to correct Sven's mistake, first by exiling David Beckham, he now resorts to Sven's favourite formation and players.

It is not about the players, or the league. It is down to the manager I reckon.

Guest Knightrider

We have the players but they just can't adapt and that's down to coaching, environment and the hype - i.e. the football culture in this country. IMO.

When we've had a manager who knew what he was doing we've got to semis.

Venners? The bloke before him to manage a England team for a international competition on home soil won the trophy. Have a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_European_Football_Championship for the history, if you can be arsed & you will what El Tel achieved was more a par score than greatness.

Venebles is the luckiest England manager in history tbh. If you actually break down Euro 96, we were average in the 2 years of friendlies leading up to it, then in the first game we drew against the worst team in the competition, the second game Scotland were probably equal to England before Uri Geller intervened. Holland was the exception, in the Quarters, Spain had a good goal disallowed, before finally losing in the Semis.

One of the best midfielders in the world in Gerrad and countless other top players.

Such as?  Well there's no point in counting Lampard for a start.  Those 2 won't do well in the centre together no matter who's manager.  Hargreaves is the only other one consistently playing well.  Jenas, Carrick, Dyer, Downing and the likes just aren't good enough.  Having Beckham back will be a big plus, though.

Rooney and Owen up front, not fantastic options after that but hardly a real problem.

Hardly a real problem?  So erm, who was England's top scorer at the WC last year and with how many goals..

When we've had a manager who knew what he was doing we've got to semis.

Venners? The bloke before him to manage a England team for a international competition on home soil won the trophy. Have a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_European_Football_Championship for the history, if you can be arsed & you will what El Tel achieved was more a par score than greatness.

SBR?

As for Venables, at least he had us playing some decent football. When you look at the players we have available today, there's no reason why England should be so crap.

The Premiership is played at an unbeleivable pace cp. any other league - so waht we get are "Energizer Bunny" players who run up and down like madmen, when skileld wingers get stick becuase "tehy don't tackle back" etc  etc

English teams often look liek chickens withteir heads cut off  TBH

Most of the foreign palyers who star in the PL are pretty laid back and "lazy" compared to their team mates

You don't see the likes of Henry playing in his own penalty area for example