Football is just a game...isn't it?

JH

I was watching the Graham Poll documentary on BBC1 last night and he was saying about how he was feeling terrible about his mistake in the World Cup and how he might have ruined his career and that he was going to be the centre of controversy and stuff like that.

He then got a text off his daughter that said something along the lines of "Dad, I don't know what happened out there but I think you made the right decision because you always do. Even if you don't, you know that we'll still love you anyway" and it got him to thinking that football is just a game. His mother also said something similar about how there was so many terrible things going on in the world and yet Graham Poll was splashed all over the front pages while more serious news was pushed back later into the paper.

It got me to thinking football is just a game isn't it?

I mean people are so passionate about it and get so much into it that it often can become their lives. When decisions don't go their way, they get really offended by it and start shouting and screaming at the referee; when teams get relegated, you see fans in the stand in tears. People riot and fight and hate each other over football; alot of the arguments and troubles today in Europe are over football games.

Football referees and players and coaches get death threats and are constantly abused by irate fans that aren't happy that their team is failing. People care so much about football and it plays such a vital part in the way that some people live their lives; they'll go to the end of the world to support their club.

Is it just a game? or is it so much more?

Yes, of course it is just a game - but it is VERY important in the lives of a lot of people.

Poll should expect citicism for his mistake, but I think anyone with half a brain would realise that death threats etc are clearly going too far.

Guest smoggeordie

Football is more than a game, but nowhere near life and death. A football club is a national icon and represents the city on a national and possibly international stage. If a team is in the news for the wrong reasons, it reflects badly on the city and vice versa. NUFC symbolises the north east and is a major part of the culture of the area. When the team is successful people are happy, when we're losing, it darkens the mood at most places you go.

Anyway, it's not a game anymore, it's a business.

I don't buy the 'it's only a game' attitude. It's a f*cking important game, and lets face it, he didn't drop a b0llock during a casual kick around, he dropped a b0llock during a match in the World Cup finals, and it was an inexcusible mistake.

Now, I agree that some of the abuse directed his way went a bit OTT, but there was a bit of self-pity in there and ultimately it was his fault, and to use the 'it's only a game' excuse, when as a Football referee at the highest level, he should know damned well the game's importance amongst the teams, players and their fans is extremely poor.

I don't wish ill on the bloke, and anyone threatening him or any referee with violence or revenge for their actions - even if they are wrong, is just a pr!ck. But he made a massive mistake and he was inevitably going to be scrutinised and have any future decisions criticised.

I was watching the Graham Poll documentary on BBC1 last night and he was saying about how he was feeling terrible about his mistake in the World Cup and how he might have ruined his career and that he was going to be the centre of controversy and stuff like that.

He then got a text off his daughter that said something along the lines of "Dad, I don't know what happened out there but I think you made the right decision because you always do. Even if you don't, you know that we'll still love you anyway" and it got him to thinking that football is just a game. His mother also said something similar about how there was so many terrible things going on in the world and yet Graham Poll was splashed all over the front pages while more serious news was pushed back later into the paper.

It got me to thinking football is just a game isn't it?

I mean people are so passionate about it and get so much into it that it often can become their lives. When decisions don't go their way, they get really offended by it and start shouting and screaming at the referee; when teams get relegated, you see fans in the stand in tears. People riot and fight and hate each other over football; alot of the arguments and troubles today in Europe are over football games.

Football referees and players and coaches get death threats and are constantly abused by irate fans that aren't happy that their team is failing. People care so much about football and it plays such a vital part in the way that some people live their lives; they'll go to the end of the world to support their club.

Is it just a game? or is it so much more?

End of the day football reaches many people, some are arseholes some are not, its the type of person more than anything else.

Those who do organised fighting amongst fans are not true football fans, in fact one the way home i bet no one even thinks or talks about the score, they are there for the fighting and using football as the vehicle to do that.

Guest Gemmill

Just a game.  Pisses me off a bit when Newcastle lose, or when someone isn't pulling their weight on the pitch, but the people who let it ruin their weekend, get into fights over it, get depressed about it etc. need to have a good word with themselves imo.

My day to day happiness doesn't hinge on the result of a football match, and you've got something wrong with you if yours does.  FACT!

As for Graham Poll - he should just fuck off into obscurity tbh.  If he expects people to be interested enough in him to buy his soon-to-be-released autobiography then he should expect to put up with a bit of shit for making a tit of himself at the World Cup. 

Guest redmayne

and life is just there to be lived

fuck off

fight that inch in everything you do

go get that fit bird or marry the saggy fat lass that in tellectually leaves you with gordon brown

i'd rather die than stop fighting

BTW invicta im sure you're are 16

I suppose it's okay to get worked up about football - it's an individual choice - providing there's a point where you can stop and get it in perspective. You can get angry about a referee if you want, but don't take it so that it intrudes on the guy's life outside football.

I saw the documentary, and what struck me was how immature a lot of the attitudes are, that managers and players show towards referees. It's a difficult job, and there are so many decisions where there's no clear right or wrong. What's more, they themselves lie and cheat all the time to get an advantage, but react with outrage when the ref makes an honest mistake.

The only manager that I thought really showed a bit of class when dealing with referees was Brian Clough. He never criticised any of them publicly, and wouldn't tolerate any of his players showing dissent. It didn't do his team any harm at all. They kept focused instead of getting worked up about things they couldn't control.

Guest ryanegg

It Really Depends On Who You Ask And Their Age , A 8 Year Old Kid Will Tell You Its His Life, A 13 Year Old Will Still Love It But Also Loves Girls And Alcohol,You Get The Few Who Are Not Interested At All But There Really Isn't Many Blokes Not Interested In Football.Say If You Asked A Hooligan This Question,He'd Show You Scars To Prove Its A Way Of Life Or Even A Religion.

Guest TheOrder

It Really Depends On Who You Ask And Their Age , A 8 Year Old Kid Will Tell You Its His Life, A 13 Year Old Will Still Love It But Also Loves Girls And Alcohol,You Get The Few Who Are Not Interested At All But There Really Isn't Many Blokes Not Interested In Football.Say If You Asked A Hooligan This Question,He'd Show You Scars To Prove Its A Way Of Life Or Even A Religion.

Life Is Capital Letters At The Start Of Every Word.

Life Is Capital Letters At The Start Of Every Word.

propernountastic!  :)

Guest ryanegg

Sorry It's hard to get out the habit  :laugh2:

Guest Geordiecunny

It is always something that arises. Often when I get really empassioned about an issue I take a step back and think about the truly important things in life. But then I realise that to me, Newcastle United are truly important.

People often criticise "Supafans" for treating football as a religion- personally I have more time for people whos life is dedicated to football then religion. Religion is speculative yet football is earthy, you can truly immerse yourself in it. Supporting a team whether your at the game or not makes you part of something- something real that matters not just to you but to millions of others.

Criticise me if you like but thats just how I feel about Newcastle- It's a love and a passion.

Only when with my friends, with my family and at the football do I feel part of something special.

Its a relationship tbh. One that involves arguing, spending shitloads of money, shouting and getting angry like any relationship. It annoys you and frustrates you, but it can also give you loads of joy and make your week, and it can involve some of the best moments of your life. This relationship is there for life though and it doesn't turn funny once a month.

What the f*** have i been on  :lol:

Guest ChickenKiev

It's pretty sad in my opinion when peoples lives are so controlled by football. It's a game and that's all it is. Yes I get emotional about football but as some people have mentioned it doesn't have any impact on my life.

Its a relationship tbh. One that involves arguing, spending shitloads of money, shouting and getting angry like any relationship. It annoys you and frustrates you, but it can also give you loads of joy and make your week, and it can involve some of the best moments of your life. This relationship is there for life though and it doesn't turn funny once a month.

What the f*** have i been on  :lol:

Aye and its like we have woken up to find our missus has transformed into (insert hot woman here).

Guest Gemmill

Wow.  Just wow. :lol: