Who would you sign now?

toptoon

Not many mentions of Dyer.

Regardless of how much of a tit he is, i think Sam will want to utilise him to his full potential which, as we all know, is very high.

I'm guessing we all saw the last 2 England matches. I haven't seen that kind of pace from KD since...well, his early days really.

:lol: Where have i heard that before. Loan him out for a couple of years to gain some experience imo.

Regardless of how much of a tit he is, i think Sam will want to utilise him to his full potential which, as we all know, is very high.

I'm guessing we all saw the last 2 England matches. I haven't seen that kind of pace from KD since...well, his early days really.

Good thing about Dyer, is that with that formation he can fill in about four of those positions. Five if you count right-back.

Good thing about Dyer, is that with that formation he can fill in about four of those positions. Five if you count right-back.

Fill them in aye. Badly.

Craig Bellamy

Would you swap him for Owen? (since Liverpool want £9m and the supposed release fee is £9m)

Actually, I would have liked him to play alongside Owen preferably.

Owens contract bothers me. He is a free agent in 18 months. If he won't extend - and I think he owes us this - then I would immediately look around to getting the biggest fee possible, or the best part exchange. Bellamy and a few million quid comes into this category.

I have to say this, because you shouldn't sell your best players, the trouble being now as compared to the past, the Bosman ruling has moved the goalposts. We don't want to lose Owen for nothing in 2 years time.

I'm very worried about Owen's contract, tbh less worried due to the arrival of Ashley, but pride would still be stung if we get fuked over on this one.

We can lose all of the £9m on Luque, but to lose the same on Owen due to the circumstances would be painful, bit like what Boro are experiencing right now with Viduka  :lol:

If we could get Bellamy back with money on top its worth considering. I think Owen is the better goalscorer, but Bellamy is Newcastle, its no wonder he wants to come back here, he belongs just like Owen belongs with them.

agree with all of that

Guest elbee909

Six if you count goalie.

I thought we'd stopped looking to buy quick fixes? I thought we were starting to rebuild the club from the ground up? How can any manager do anything constructive with this club if he's expected to finish top 4 instantly or whatever?

Spot on, Keefaz. If we finish 9th next season, and atleast maybe pushed for a European place, i'll be chuffed.

Would be interesting to hear his thoughts - but i doubt Brummie is too displeased with Villa's final position, in spite of the potential they showed at the start of the season. Considering that they were a team that would inevitably have gone down sooner or later.

I've mentioned it before, but if you'd asked our fans at the start of last season what we'd have been happy with, we'd have said mid table. The club was so incredibly fucked up after years of neglect, and we had no chance to move in the summer transfer market other than Petrov (who Lerner paid for before he'd even completed his takeover). We had a fantastic start, a dreadful middle, and a really brilliant close to the season. Optimism is sky high now, we're apparently going from our worst season ticket sales in years over last summer to the best in years this summer (up 350% compared to the same time last year, apparently). If we can continue improving, I'll be happy. A little optimism changes an awful lot and builds momentum.

The really fantastic thing is that the club over the last year has gradually been changed from top to bottom, out of all recognition. We were - and to some extent, so were you - a frustrating basket case which needed picking up and given a hard fucking shake, everything was wrong, from the marketing dept stuck in the 1970s, to the small-time corner shop thinking of the board, the lack of ambition, the wasted potential. I'd say you've got problems of your own, different problems to ours possibly, but things that need sorting.

A new manager and a new owner are going to need time to sort them out, so demanding top 6 finishes in year one is short termist and mental.

You can do it one of two ways when you come into big money. The West Ham way, which is reckless, risky as fuck and at times bordering on desperation. Or you can use the money sensibly, change the club around at every level and look to evolve gradually. I'd much rather this and build for *consistent* ongoing success rather than spaff 50m pounds in one summer in a desperate gamble at instant success.

Villa and Newcastle both have managers with strong personalities, characters, who are only going to get real success if they shape the club in their own image, they're the kinds of manager who'll want to build their own dynasties. The sensible thing to do is back them with the money, and let them get involved at every level. I know MON has his finger in absolutely everything at the club - right down to stuff like shirt design - and I strongly suspect you'll get the best out of SA if you let him do the same, he's that kind of manager too. All you can do is back him and give him time, it won't happen overnight.

Seriously, all rivalries apart, football in this country needs clubs like Newcastle, Villa, Spurs and Everton to close the gap. The first three have got a chance now, but whilst one of them is obv much closer, none of them will do it overnight.

Guest Knightrider

People wanting Bellamy back = :lol:

People wanting yet more trophy signings = :lol:

People wanting a top 4 finish = :lol:

Some of the names mentioned in here = :lol:

Me, I'll leave it all in the capable hands of Sam Allardyce.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

If Allardyce ever met you in person he would probably do a shit on you or something equally as degrading. Stop pretending your mates with him :lol:

People laughing at other people's suggestions without offering suggestions of their own = :lol:

Guest Knightrider

I thought we'd stopped looking to buy quick fixes? I thought we were starting to rebuild the club from the ground up? How can any manager do anything constructive with this club if he's expected to finish top 4 instantly or whatever?

Spot on, Keefaz. If we finish 9th next season, and atleast maybe pushed for a European place, i'll be chuffed.

Would be interesting to hear his thoughts - but i doubt Brummie is too displeased with Villa's final position, in spite of the potential they showed at the start of the season. Considering that they were a team that would inevitably have gone down sooner or later.

I've mentioned it before, but if you'd asked our fans at the start of last season what we'd have been happy with, we'd have said mid table. The club was so incredibly fucked up after years of neglect, and we had no chance to move in the summer transfer market other than Petrov (who Lerner paid for before he'd even completed his takeover). We had a fantastic start, a dreadful middle, and a really brilliant close to the season. Optimism is sky high now, we're apparently going from our worst season ticket sales in years over last summer to the best in years this summer (up 350% compared to the same time last year, apparently). If we can continue improving, I'll be happy. A little optimism changes an awful lot and builds momentum.

The really fantastic thing is that the club over the last year has gradually been changed from top to bottom, out of all recognition. We were - and to some extent, so were you - a frustrating basket case which needed picking up and given a hard fucking shake, everything was wrong, from the marketing dept stuck in the 1970s, to the small-time corner shop thinking of the board, the lack of ambition, the wasted potential. I'd say you've got problems of your own, different problems to ours possibly, but things that need sorting.

A new manager and a new owner are going to need time to sort them out, so demanding top 6 finishes in year one is short termist and mental.

You can do it one of two ways when you come into big money. The West Ham way, which is reckless, risky as fuck and at times bordering on desperation. Or you can use the money sensibly, change the club around at every level and look to evolve gradually. I'd much rather this and build for *consistent* ongoing success rather than spaff 50m pounds in one summer in a desperate gamble at instant success.

Villa and Newcastle both have managers with strong personalities, characters, who are only going to get real success if they shape the club in their own image, they're the kinds of manager who'll want to build their own dynasties. The sensible thing to do is back them with the money, and let them get involved at every level. I know MON has his finger in absolutely everything at the club - right down to stuff like shirt design - and I strongly suspect you'll get the best out of SA if you let him do the same, he's that kind of manager too. All you can do is back him and give him time, it won't happen overnight.

Seriously, all rivalries apart, football in this country needs clubs like Newcastle, Villa, Spurs and Everton to close the gap. The first three have got a chance now, but whilst one of them is obv much closer, none of them will do it overnight.

Cracking post mate, agree 100% with it.

Guest Knightrider

People laughing at other people's suggestions without offering suggestions of their own = :lol:

OK then:

Haim - free

Brown - £5m

Hoyte - £3m

Baines - £5m

That along with those already at the club covers defence, attack is sorted so onto midfield:

I haven't a clue.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Wes Brown? :lol: Oh dear. Is he still living off the rep Fergie gave him, ginger cunt.

Guest Knightrider

Wes Brown? :lol: Oh dear. Is he still living off the rep Fergie gave him, ginger cunt.

Good player who can fill in across the back-four. We could always play that man in your sig though :lol:

Guest Knightrider

If Allardyce ever met you in person he would probably do a shit on you or something equally as degrading. Stop pretending your mates with him :lol:

OK

Bellamy and Robert catapulted Newcastle from mid table into a top 4 team the last time, and bellamy is young enough to be instrumental enough to do it again.

You will never match the teams that buy the "trophy winning players", unless you buy them yourself...especically up front. Its quality up front that makes all the difference.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Good player who can fill in across the back-four. We could always play that man in your sig though :lol:

Or we could sign a decent player.

I haven't a clue.

You admit it!!

Seriously though, I'd agree with Baines and Ben Haim and wouldn't be overly disappointed with Brown as a utility man (would he really want to leave his spot as utility man at Man U to be one here though?) but I personally don't think it's unreasonable to expect one or two big money acquisitions to compliment the deep squad we're building through cheap/free pickups.

Fourth is out of our reach next year I'd agree, but the season after that there's no real reason we can't be pushing for it.

Guest Knightrider

Bellamy and Robert catapulted Newcastle from mid table into a top 4 team the last time, and bellamy is young enough to be instrumental enough to do it again.

You will never match the teams that buy the "trophy winning players", unless you buy them yourself...especically up front. Its quality up front that makes all the difference.

I think Shay, Shearer, Bobby, Speed, Nobby and even Dyer at times (season we finished 4th) were just as important myself. Bellamy and Robert were key players but the team itself was the key component of that era not any one player. Like I said in another thread, we can do better now and need to stop harping on about Bellamy. Viduka will give us more, Martins is better, so is Owen.

I think Shay, Shearer, Bobby, Speed, Nobby and even Dyer at times (season we finished 4th) were just as important myself. Bellamy and Robert were key players but the team itself was the key component of that era not any one player. Like I said in another thread, we can do better now and need to stop harping on about Bellamy. Viduka will give us more, Martins is better, so is Owen.

yes they were all important, but the injection of pace and quality up front makes the difference.

I don't think Viduka will be better than Bellamy was, but he will make a difference, as I've been saying all last season we needed a forward and a midfield player to support the front men.

I don't think Martins is that good tbh. And the jury is out on Owen. If we can't get him to extend I see little point in keeping him as we have had no return at all hardly because of his injuries.

I don't know why you and others have this thing about "trophy players" mate, a few years of buying average ones and you would be screaming out for top quality players, or the "trophy" players, that the trophy winners buy.

Guest Knightrider

Posted this in another thread:

People need to take off their rose tinted specs regarding Bellamy. Yes he was a good player for us and was especially a good team player because his dynamism helped others but by the same token the cunning play of Nobby, the power and leading of the line from Shearer, the pace of Dyer and the steadyness of Speed also all helped shape Bellamy's game. Since then Bellamy has looked distinctly average, even for Blackburn at times. His goals and the manner in which he took them masked some poor performances and lets be honest here, even during his time at Newcastle were he did play his best football, it wasn't like he was putting in MOTM performances every week and lets not even talk about his injuries or his ill-discipline. In his first three seasons at Newcastle, Bellamy was considered a good player but had just as many critics as he had fans due to his finishing, final ball etc. It was only under Souness which coincided with Shearer's game becoming less and less effective BTW which is often overlooked did Bellamy suddenly become a "great player for us". Well Souness is history and so is Bellamy. We already have 3 top forwards and one solid back-up with an exciting prospect in Carroll coming through, we also have money and new found ambition to aim a lot fucking higher than a player who wiped his arse with our shirt more than once, who regardless of all the other things that went on, was the main holder of his own destiney as to whether he stayed here or went and he chose the latter. I say fuck him and fuck all the daft shite about him coming back. Let him rot wherever he resides. We owe him nothing and shouldn't degrade oureselves by welcoming the tosser back or even thinking about it.

Guest super_shay1

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. We can do better than Bellamy....and the strikers we have now are better than him....wouldn't wanna see him back here.

Bellamy is being punted around at 12m, apparently, which strikes me as a tad over the top. I really don't know what to make of the bloke. We've been linked with him and opinion is divided over him, as I guess it would be at pretty much any club he was linked with.