Who would you sign now?

toptoon

Guest Knightrider

People wanting Bellamy back = :lol:

People wanting yet more trophy signings = :lol:

People wanting a top 4 finish = :lol:

Some of the names mentioned in here = :lol:

Me, I'll leave it all in the capable hands of Sam Allardyce.

Bellamy and Robert catapulted Newcastle from mid table into a top 4 team the last time, and bellamy is young enough to be instrumental enough to do it again.

You will never match the teams that buy the "trophy winning players", unless you buy them yourself...especically up front. Its quality up front that makes all the difference.

I think Shay, Shearer, Bobby, Speed, Nobby and even Dyer at times (season we finished 4th) were just as important myself. Bellamy and Robert were key players but the team itself was the key component of that era not any one player. Like I said in another thread, we can do better now and need to stop harping on about Bellamy. Viduka will give us more, Martins is better, so is Owen.

yes they were all important, but the injection of pace and quality up front makes the difference.

I don't think Viduka will be better than Bellamy was, but he will make a difference, as I've been saying all last season we needed a forward and a midfield player to support the front men.

I don't think Martins is that good tbh. And the jury is out on Owen. If we can't get him to extend I see little point in keeping him as we have had no return at all hardly because of his injuries.

I don't know why you and others have this thing about "trophy players" mate, a few years of buying average ones and you would be screaming out for top quality players, or the "trophy" players, that the trophy winners buy.

His pace did make an impression but from what I remember, the first few seasons here he was often like a headless chicken, other more intelligent players benefitted from his pace which therefore helped the team. He was no catylist, take Shearer's games and goals out of that season and we'd have been as goalshy as we were last season (Bellamy certainly wasn't going to score all the goals). The spine of that team made that team and the manager managing it, not Bellamy whose finishing was poor and so too was his final ball. Shearer made great use of Bellamy's pace, it was he who made it all work, he and Nobby, Speed and the manager for identifying the need for pace. In many ways Bellamy was just a small part (an important one of course) of a very good team in an attacking sense that just clicked together, every singled on of them, with Shearer's excellence at doing what he did best, proving the focal point.

As for Martins, I don't rate his game too highly but then for his first few seasons I never rated Bellamy's game too highly either, just his pace and unselfish running. Martins made up for what he lacks with 17 goals and numerous assists which is hard currency.

As for trophy players, well spubking £17m on Owen helped us a great deal didn't it? That type of signing for me was a trophy signing. Ironically I prefer us to buy the Robert's and Bellamy's like Sir Bobby did, an unknown and a failed Coventry player, players signed not on their name, but on what they could add to the team the now and tomorrow.

We'll always disagree regarding Bellamy, which is fine, but outside of my comments on Bellamy, if we were to bring him back, I'd see it as a big step back so do hope we don't because we can do better and should always have that attitude.

Viduka could for me do a Sir Les, i.e. become a hugely popular figure here who contributes to something bigger, even if it only lasts for 2 years. He's certainly got the ability.

Guest Knightrider

Bellamy is being punted around at 12m, apparently, which strikes me as a tad over the top. I really don't know what to make of the bloke. We've been linked with him and opinion is divided over him, as I guess it would be at pretty much any club he was linked with.

Not wanting to be patronising here Brummie, but he would be an ideal player for Villa because his pace and running could drastically change your side offensively which I feel is where your major problems lie, until you can go out and get a much better all-rounder for the long-term. We already have a potent attack, what we now need is a Bellamy in midfield, someone who will drastically change how we operate in there so the already excellent forwards can really flourish.

Bellamy is being punted around at 12m, apparently, which strikes me as a tad over the top. I really don't know what to make of the bloke. We've been linked with him and opinion is divided over him, as I guess it would be at pretty much any club he was linked with.

Not wanting to be patronising here Brummie, but he would be an ideal player for Villa because his pace and running could drastically change your side offensively which I feel is where your major problems lie, until you can go out and get a much better all-rounder for the long-term. We already have a potent attack, what we now need is a Bellamy in midfield, someone who will drastically change how we operate in there so the already excellent forwards can really flourish.

Oh, I agree with you in terms of his game, he is without doubt what we are missing. I worry about his temperament, though, and whether he'd unsettle what is a pretty settled dressing room.

How much did he go to them from Blackburn for? 6 million? That's a pretty spectacular price hike in 12 months.

Guest Knightrider

Oh, I agree with you in terms of his game, he is without doubt what we are missing. I worry about his temperament, though, and whether he'd unsettle what is a pretty settled dressing room.

How much did he go to them from Blackburn for? 6 million? That's a pretty spectacular price hike in 12 months.

Actually thinking about it, I'm sure with a bit of scouting and some money, you could buy such a dynamic player but without all the crap and injury baggage. Mark my words, by the time Bellamy is 30 he'll need nursed through games because his knees are fucked. He's a short term type impact player to speed up the journey from a-b, or a player to keep a Blackburn in the upper parts of mid-table.

Or if you're a sentimental Toon fan, bring back the glory days all on his own :lol:

Posted this in another thread:

People need to take off their rose tinted specs regarding Bellamy. Yes he was a good player for us and was especially a good team player because his dynamism helped others but by the same token the cunning play of Nobby, the power and leading of the line from Shearer, the pace of Dyer and the steadyness of Speed also all helped shape Bellamy's game. Since then Bellamy has looked distinctly average, even for Blackburn at times. His goals and the manner in which he took them masked some poor performances and lets be honest here, even during his time at Newcastle were he did play his best football, it wasn't like he was putting in MOTM performances every week and lets not even talk about his injuries or his ill-discipline. In his first three seasons at Newcastle, Bellamy was considered a good player but had just as many critics as he had fans due to his finishing, final ball etc. It was only under Souness which coincided with Shearer's game becoming less and less effective BTW which is often overlooked did Bellamy suddenly become a "great player for us". Well Souness is history and so is Bellamy. We already have 3 top forwards and one solid back-up with an exciting prospect in Carroll coming through, we also have money and new found ambition to aim a lot fucking higher than a player who wiped his arse with our shirt more than once, who regardless of all the other things that went on, was the main holder of his own destiney as to whether he stayed here or went and he chose the latter. I say fuck him and fuck all the daft shite about him coming back. Let him rot wherever he resides. We owe him nothing and shouldn't degrade oureselves by welcoming the tosser back or even thinking about it.

he had very few poor performances, in fact probably the least in total than anyone else.

I didn't think the Souness orchestrated campaign against him would still be so strong, especially in view of the fact that the changes he made, and all the players he brought in, have proved to have been so much of an utter disaster.

I don't think its rose tinted specs at all, more of a refusal to believe what a shithead manager conducted and remaining true to your convictions as to a players ability, especially to a player who in actual fact put on the shirt and performed with true desire and will to win than most of the rest of the team, if not all of them. Even Shearer, who certainly DID disappear in more games than Bellamy did.

As does Martins.

Simple fact is, Bellamy would improve the team, he was instrumental in Blackburn qualifying for europe last season - see how they have also slipped a few places too when he left - and is a better forward than Martins, and I think people who say this on the back of their believing Souness' spin about him rather than footballing ability, are the ones wearing rose tinted specs with Martins photo on them.

Guest Knightrider

Bellamy would improve the sqaud, wouldn't get in my own XI however. He is also a better footballer than Martins but Martins equals that out by being a better goalscorer and less of a twat so all things are pretty equal there.

People wanting Bellamy back = :lol:

People wanting yet more trophy signings = :lol:

People wanting a top 4 finish = :lol:

Some of the names mentioned in here = :lol:

Me, I'll leave it all in the capable hands of Sam Allardyce.

Bellamy and Robert catapulted Newcastle from mid table into a top 4 team the last time, and bellamy is young enough to be instrumental enough to do it again.

You will never match the teams that buy the "trophy winning players", unless you buy them yourself...especically up front. Its quality up front that makes all the difference.

I think Shay, Shearer, Bobby, Speed, Nobby and even Dyer at times (season we finished 4th) were just as important myself. Bellamy and Robert were key players but the team itself was the key component of that era not any one player. Like I said in another thread, we can do better now and need to stop harping on about Bellamy. Viduka will give us more, Martins is better, so is Owen.

yes they were all important, but the injection of pace and quality up front makes the difference.

I don't think Viduka will be better than Bellamy was, but he will make a difference, as I've been saying all last season we needed a forward and a midfield player to support the front men.

I don't think Martins is that good tbh. And the jury is out on Owen. If we can't get him to extend I see little point in keeping him as we have had no return at all hardly because of his injuries.

I don't know why you and others have this thing about "trophy players" mate, a few years of buying average ones and you would be screaming out for top quality players, or the "trophy" players, that the trophy winners buy.

His pace did make an impression but from what I remember, the first few seasons here he was often like a headless chicken, other more intelligent players benefitted from his pace which therefore helped the team. He was no catylist, take Shearer's games and goals out of that season and we'd have been as goalshy as we were last season (Bellamy certainly wasn't going to score all the goals). The spine of that team made that team and the manager managing it, not Bellamy whose finishing was poor and so too was his final ball. Shearer made great use of Bellamy's pace, it was he who made it all work, he and Nobby, Speed and the manager for identifying the need for pace. In many ways Bellamy was just a small part (an important one of course) of a very good team in an attacking sense that just clicked together, every singled on of them, with Shearer's excellence at doing what he did best, proving the focal point.

As for Martins, I don't rate his game too highly but then for his first few seasons I never rated Bellamy's game too highly either, just his pace and unselfish running. Martins made up for what he lacks with 17 goals and numerous assists which is hard currency.

As for trophy players, well spubking £17m on Owen helped us a great deal didn't it? That type of signing for me was a trophy signing. Ironically I prefer us to buy the Robert's and Bellamy's like Sir Bobby did, an unknown and a failed Coventry player, players signed not on their name, but on what they could add to the team the now and tomorrow.

We'll always disagree regarding Bellamy, which is fine, but outside of my comments on Bellamy, if we were to bring him back, I'd see it as a big step back so do hope we don't because we can do better and should always have that attitude.

Viduka could for me do a Sir Les, i.e. become a hugely popular figure here who contributes to something bigger, even if it only lasts for 2 years. He's certainly got the ability.

Well, I remember us being 2nd in the league when he was injured and missed the rest of the season, and Alex Ferguson sayign that if he hadn't been injured we may well have gone all the way to the end having improved all season and crept into the title race and lasted the distance, at that stage, with 7 games to go if I remember correctly.

The 17m quid spent on Owen may well have been money well spent if not for him being injured, as was the money spent on that other "trophy signing", Shearer.

Martins disappears a lot, especially in away games. Far too often in fact.

Craig Bellamy was certainly not a "failed" player at Coventry, why else did Bobby Robson buy him for a bigger club like us ? He was played out of position a lot by Strachan, that is all.

The front players are the ones who make a top team what they are. A few years of average players and seeing the "trophy" players going to the other clubs and people would sharp change their tune.

Bellamy would improve the sqaud, wouldn't get in my own XI however. He is also a better footballer than Martins but Martins equals that out by being a better goalscorer and less of a twat so all things are pretty equal there.

less of a twat is irrelevant mate.

And, he might well be, yet.

Would you rather have Marcus Stewart or Peter Beardsley, if Stewart scored more goals in a single season ?

Guest Knightrider

less of a twat is irrelevant mate.

And, he might well be, yet.

Would you rather have Marcus Stewart or Peter Beardsley, if Stewart scored more goals in a single season ?

Daft analogy mate because the gap in quality between Stewart and Beardsley is huge where as the gap between Martins and Bellamy is down to opinion and not so obvious. Furthermore my argument isn't about goals, all I said was for every plus point regarding Bellamy over Martins, there are equal plus points Martins has over Bellamy, indeed I did say all things concerned they are equal in that respect.

After signing the Ben Haims, Rozenhals, Vidukas, Bartons and what nots, we should sign 1 eye-catching player as a signal of intent, just to show we mean business.

It doesnt have to be a superstar, it only needs to be a player with proven class either in rightback, centreback, left/right wing or centre midfield. It could be the difference between us finishing 5-6th possibly pushing 4th, and scrapping in top 8.

Players I can think of right now:

Arteta

Yobo

Lucho Gonzalez

Lahm

Diego

Would love to see us push the boat out for either Yobo/Arteta, players who can really make a difference in our team.

This. When Roman first went to Chelsea, they did similar to us, signed some of the best players from outside the big clubs (Duff, Bridge, Geremi, Johnson, etc). It wasn't until they signed Crespo & Makelele though that people realised something huge was happening there. That's what we need. Just one world-class flair player (we need creativity anyway), that shows we're serious about winning things. Otherwise, Allardyce might as well have stayed at Bolton and continued what he was doing there.

I don't think it is particularly helpful if we sign a flair player just to prove that we intent to win something. Realistically we won't win any trophy even with a trophy signing this coming season and raising everyone's expectation too much will only heap pressure on the team. The crowd will soon slag off the squad if we fail to win anything.

Rather Sam and his team be pramagtic than overambitious.

After signing the Ben Haims, Rozenhals, Vidukas, Bartons and what nots, we should sign 1 eye-catching player as a signal of intent, just to show we mean business.

It doesnt have to be a superstar, it only needs to be a player with proven class either in rightback, centreback, left/right wing or centre midfield. It could be the difference between us finishing 5-6th possibly pushing 4th, and scrapping in top 8.

Players I can think of right now:

Arteta

Yobo

Lucho Gonzalez

Lahm

Diego

Would love to see us push the boat out for either Yobo/Arteta, players who can really make a difference in our team.

This. When Roman first went to Chelsea, they did similar to us, signed some of the best players from outside the big clubs (Duff, Bridge, Geremi, Johnson, etc). It wasn't until they signed Crespo & Makelele though that people realised something huge was happening there. That's what we need. Just one world-class flair player (we need creativity anyway), that shows we're serious about winning things. Otherwise, Allardyce might as well have stayed at Bolton and continued what he was doing there.

People forget that Chelsea's building program was under way ages before RA arrived on the scene, even they did things gradually.

Up until the 12 months before Roman came over though (when they only signed De Lucas on loan), they still spent massive. People like Desailly £5m, Melchiot £5m, Lampard £12m, Hasslebaink £12m, Zenden £7m, Gronkjaer £9m, Gallas £6m, Gudjohnsen £5m.

Im surprised no-one has mentioned Duscher, He's about 26/27 and good DCM and available on a bosman. He has said a few times that he'd like to come to the premiership and i doubt he'd demand high wages. Butt had a good season but he getting on a bit now and Duscher would be a good player to succeed him.

Given

Geremi Ben Haim Taylor Shorey

Milner Barton Appiah Tuncay

Viduka  Owen

to much Football manager tbh

Errmm.......why? That team isn't that unbelievable, in fact I'd say it was quite possible...

yeah it's possbile but i can't see that Appiah,shorey and  Tuncay  are players that are so mutch better than what we have at our disposal at moment in the real world..........................................

Guest Peter Pan

Given

Viduka  Owen

Errmm.......why? That team isn't that unbelievable, in fact I'd say it was quite possible...

yeah it's possbile but i can't see that Appiah,shorey and  Tuncay  are players that are so mutch better than what we have at our disposal at moment in the real world..........................................

Appiah and Shorey are much better than we have right now... Tuncay is in his best day brilliant but much too often he is just average player.

But if you suggest that Baba is as good as Shorey or Butt plays same level with Appiah for night out night, you´d better start thinging again... :idiot2:

Given

Viduka  Owen

Shorey is certainly far better than what we currently have at our disposal. Id prefer him to baines but Shorey's one  england cap will have inflated his price.

Given

Viduka  Owen

Appiah and Shorey are much better than we have right now... Tuncay is in his best day brilliant but much too often he is just average player.

But if you suggest that Baba is as good as Shorey or Butt plays same level with Appiah for night out night, you´d better start thinging again... :idiot2:

have you ever watched appiah play ? or have you only bought him in FM? i have seen a couple of games with him and i just cant say that he is so much better than Nicky butt when playing DM.

And if he is that good why is he still playing in turkey ? and why on earth are fenerbache not a dominant  force in european football when they have  got two world beaters in their squad according to you  mackems.gif? ............................................. :idiot2: :idiot2:

As for Shorey i stand by that i dont think that he is he is a player that would revolutionize our defence and we need to aim  much higher.

Guest Peter Pan

Given

Viduka  Owen

have you ever watched appiah play ? or have you only bought him in FM? i have seen a couple of games with him and i just cant say that he is so much better than Nicky butt when playing DM.

And if he is that good why is he still playing in turkey ? and why on earth are fenerbache not a dominant  force in european football when they have  got two world beaters in their squad according to you  mackems.gif? ............................................. :idiot2: :idiot2:

As for Shorey i stand by that i dont think that he is he is a player that would revolutionize our defence and we need to aim  much higher.

Well, I only can say that I've seen Fenerbahçe playing more than couple of times, and Appiah is great player. He was pretty good when he played in Italy but nowdays he is glass above that. He's the best player in Turkish Super League, Ghana´s captain and best player after Essien and he played well in WC last summer. It's insane that someone not want him to the Newcastle over Nicky "fucking" Butt. 

• 2 weeks later...

----------------------Given------------------

Sagna----Rozehnal----Taylor----Baines

---------------------Poulsen-----------------

-----------Barton--------------Koumas-----

----Diouf---------------------------------Defoe

----------------------Viduka-----------------

If Owen, Martins, Emre and Butt move on, I think the above would work a treat.