Who would you sign now?

toptoon

If Mike Ashley offers Sam the money to go after any player (realistically). who would you advise he go for?

Squad:

Barton

Harper

Given

Ramage 

Car         Hunty     Edgar     

Nobby    Taylor     Ben Haim   Baba

Dyer                      Emre       Duff

Milner    Barton     Butt         Zoggy

Carroll

Martins      Ameobi

Owen        Viduka

Got to be two fullbacks for me and i'd definately go all out for Micah Richards as he would add so much to our team young, quick, skillfull ,strong and tall, scores goals very hard to beat and gets up and down the line very well reminds me alot of a young Lillan Thuram. Saying that Nobby did do a good Job last year.

Left back has to be improved more so than any other position. I'm struggling to think of any fantastic foreign LB's but we must hopefully be able to get one of Leighton Baines, Shorey or Matty Taylor who could all do a good Job for us.

Tuncay on a free has to be a great signing especially as he's such a good playmaker and can play up front or either wing. He's been playing LW alot which suits us as Duff's out for 6 months and Zoggy doesn't fill me with any confidence at all. The thought of Tuncay on one Wing and either Milner or Dyer teeing up chances for Viduka and Owen/Martins or Barton breaking from midfield excites me alot.

We'd have some Squad the problem then being who to leave out, but for me at the moment i'm thinking:

GIVEN

RICHARDS  TAYLOR  HAIM  BAINES

MILNER     BARTON    BUTT   TUNCAY

OWEN    MARTINS/VIDUKA

Subs

Harper/Krul

Edgar

Emre/Dyer

Martins/Viduka

Ameobi/Carroll

The Mackems are desperate to sign Duff  so we could double our money on him £10m and get Tuncay on a free!

Colloccini. I belive he can become good again. And then I'd try to get Saviola (worth a try) Mertesacker, Baines/Bridge, Zaccardo and maybe Heitinga if Zaccardo wouldnt come. Maybe Dario Dainelli as well, but then, maybe we'd get a luxury-problem with too many good defenders :)

Micah Ricards is well out of our league at the moment as well.

Would have been two months ago, but if Manchester City don't complete their takeover, Richards is well within our grasp if we wanted him.

Would have been two months ago, but if Manchester City don't complete their takeover, Richards is well within our grasp if we wanted him.

No, he is not. He will cost at LEAST £15m and then he will only go to one of the big 4.

I'm wondering if we should be setting our sights a little higher. No disrespect to names mentioned here, but with a large amount of funds undoubtedly available soon if not now, shouldn't we follow a similar recruitment process to a top 4 club, if that's where we want to be?

Nothing wrong with Sam's choices so far, or Ben Haim, but looking at full backs and another CB we should question whether Man U would be naming similar names to us... I definitely don't see Sol Campbell appearing on the wish list of Fergie, Jose etc.

No, he is not. He will cost at LEAST £15m and then he will only go to one of the big 4.

Billionaire owner

Ambitious and highly regarded manager renowned by top players across Europe.

Chance to play in front of 52,000 fans a week

Chance to play in a team featuring one of the best striker quartets in Europe.

Club on the up

Club familiar with regular European football

Club that can afford to spend £15 million on a full back

Club that can guarantee forst team football

Someone please tell me why there is no chance?

Billionaire owner

Ambitious and highly regarded manager renowned by top players across Europe.

Chance to play in front of 52,000 fans a week

Chance to play in a team featuring one of the best striker quartets in Europe.

Club on the up

Club familiar with regular European football

Club that can afford to spend £15 million on a full back

Club that can guarantee forst team football

Someone please tell me why there is no chance?

Billionaire owner but we don't know how much of a budget Allardyce will be given. He is certainly not an Abramovich and it would stun me if we spent that much on full bakc even with Ashley.

Club familiar but not in Europeon football and we'll see if we are truly a club on the up when we actually play a some competitive matches under Allardyce.

RIchards, i think he would definetly come 'castle if a bid was excepted and another really good young full back is Gael Clichy of arsenal,  have seen him take Ronaldo and Lennon (to name a couple) out of games he has played in.

Doubt Arsenal would let Clichy go though, or clichy would want to come!

Looking at the alleged £40m budget,, add another £7m from selling Parker, and £15m for Richards is easily affordable. Wouldn't be that much either if City are desperate to sell.

Guest Emre05

I know we need to get defenders in but my next signing would be a playmaker or attacking midfielder in the mould of lampard / pires who can get 10-15 goals a year.. This could probably cost 15 million but it would show that we mean business ( like what optimistic nut said earlier i believe )

defenders will come in but still if we have the money, we need to pay big for 1 or 2 players I feel to put us ahead of the villas, everton, west ham , spurs, blackburn etc ..

we were not that far behind last year from the top 7 until it went pear shaped in the last 6-8 matches so if we can get this right I feel we could make major strides this year

Guest Magpiecn

I think if we want to play european games regularly,we should not only  have a good first team,but also  good substitutes.Our team will be ok if we change the defence.No matter what will we buy,Richards,Ben Haim,but they will all play in the first team.But what about the substitutes,with some like Carr, Pattison?So I think we shoud look for the youth after buying Ben Haim or Richards or Baines.Kevin Nolan will also be a good sign.