Who would you sign now?

toptoon

Guest elbee909

Just one signing that grabs us by the balls and makes everyone take notice of us again.

I don't care if people take notice of us or not, the signings we make, whether known or unknown, should just improve our overall performances.  Our football should do the talking now, not the £££ signings.

If you're happy to settle for simply finishing 6th to 8th, then great, Viduka, Ben Haim & Barton are perfect. But I reckon with a couple of top-class signings to add to that, Arsenal & Spurs are there for the taking.

I agree, its a thin line between success and failure imo.

Guest Northern Boys Love Gravy!

If Mike Ashley offers Sam the money to go after any player (realistically). who would you advise he go for?

Squad:

Barton

Harper

Given

Ramage 

Car         Hunty     Edgar     

Nobby    Taylor     Ben Haim   Baba

Dyer                      Emre       Duff

Milner    Barton     Butt         Zoggy

Carroll

Martins      Ameobi

Owen        Viduka

Got to be two fullbacks for me and i'd definately go all out for Micah Richards as he would add so much to our team young, quick, skillfull ,strong and tall, scores goals very hard to beat and gets up and down the line very well reminds me alot of a young Lillan Thuram. Saying that Nobby did do a good Job last year.

Left back has to be improved more so than any other position. I'm struggling to think of any fantastic foreign LB's but we must hopefully be able to get one of Leighton Baines, Shorey or Matty Taylor who could all do a good Job for us.

Tuncay on a free has to be a great signing especially as he's such a good playmaker and can play up front or either wing. He's been playing LW alot which suits us as Duff's out for 6 months and Zoggy doesn't fill me with any confidence at all. The thought of Tuncay on one Wing and either Milner or Dyer teeing up chances for Viduka and Owen/Martins or Barton breaking from midfield excites me alot.

We'd have some Squad the problem then being who to leave out, but for me at the moment i'm thinking:

GIVEN

RICHARDS  TAYLOR  HAIM  BAINES

MILNER     BARTON    BUTT   TUNCAY

OWEN    MARTINS/VIDUKA

Subs

Harper/Krul

Edgar

Emre/Dyer

Martins/Viduka

Ameobi/Carroll

The Mackems are desperate to sign Duff  so we could double our money on him £10m and get Tuncay on a free!

I'd probably go for something along the lines of:

Craig Gordon (hearts)

Micah Richards (man city)  Tal-Ben Haim (bolton)  Sol Campbell (pompey)  Leighton Baines (wigan)

Gabriel Agbonlahor (villa)        Joey Barton            Matt Taylor (pompey)        James Milner

Michael Owen                  Obafemi Martins

Subs

Shay Given

Steven Taylor

David Rozendhal

Mark Viduka

Tom Huddlestone

Peter Crouch

............Yea??

(Mark Viduka) - £0

(Joey Barton) - £5.5m

(Tal Ben Haim) - £0

David Rozenhal - £3.3m

Nijtap Geremi - £5-6m

Leighton Baines - £5-7m

Rozenhal, obviously, adds more depth to the defense. Healthy competition at the very least, plus he's quite pacy apparantely which would make a change. He might be decent, i'll trust Sam's judgement. Geremi is someone i'd really like us to go for, i reckon he's a really decent player, at a good age aswell - 28. Currently, we've got one right-winger, and one right-back. If we signed Geremi, we'd have two right-wingers and two right-backs. Baines, i'm a big fan of. Hasn't really done much this past season but Wigan were generally shit. He's a young lad who'll get better and i think would be worth the money. I'd hang onto Babayaro and let Carr go.

------------------------------- Given ------------------------------

Geremi ------ Ben Haim ------------- Taylor ---------- Baines

------------------------------- Butt -------------------------------

------------------ Barton ------------- Emre --------------------

------- Milner ----------------------------------- Martins -------

------------------------------ Owen ------------------------------

(Hope that team comes out alright, looks the right shape on mine but i've got a small monitor)

Obviously, the forward line all depends on Martins and Owen, and whether or not either of them can work in that role. I think Martins probably will with some guidance, Owen is the questionably one. Viduka is a good signing, and i'm absolutely chuffed cos i've wanted him here all season, but Milner simply has to be in the team for me.

Think the rest of the team works tbh. Defense, good. Midfield, good. Butt protecting the back four, Emre the 'mixer', ball-winner, roaming around supplying the wide men so to speak. I bet he'd be good at that role. Barton as the tenacious, attack natured centre-mid, helping out the main man up top. Still, i bet Barton and Emre could alternate roles quite comfortably.

However, we can't firmly predict waht Sam is going to do, for the rest of the transfer window or starting line-ups-wise. Which is why i'm peeing myself with excitement.

After signing the Ben Haims, Rozenhals, Vidukas, Bartons and what nots, we should sign 1 eye-catching player as a signal of intent, just to show we mean business.

It doesnt have to be a superstar, it only needs to be a player with proven class either in rightback, centreback, left/right wing or centre midfield. It could be the difference between us finishing 5-6th possibly pushing 4th, and scrapping in top 8.

Players I can think of right now:

Arteta

Yobo

Lucho Gonzalez

Lahm

Diego

Would love to see us push the boat out for either Yobo/Arteta, players who can really make a difference in our team.

Viduka is going to be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Probably. Meaning one of Milner/Martins/Owen would be dropped. At a guess, it'd probably be Martins.

(Mark Viduka) - £0

(Joey Barton) - £5.5m

(Tal Ben Haim) - £0

David Rozenhal - £3.3m

Nijtap Geremi - £5-6m

Leighton Baines - £5-7m

Rozenhal, obviously, adds more depth to the defense. Healthy competition at the very least, plus he's quite pacy apparantely which would make a change. He might be decent, i'll trust Sam's judgement. Geremi is someone i'd really like us to go for, i reckon he's a really decent player, at a good age aswell - 28. Currently, we've got one right-winger, and one right-back. If we signed Geremi, we'd have two right-wingers and two right-backs. Baines, i'm a big fan of. Hasn't really done much this past season but Wigan were generally s***. He's a young lad who'll get better and i think would be worth the money. I'd hang onto Babayaro and let Carr go.

(Hope that team comes out alright, looks the right shape on mine but i've got a small monitor)

Obviously, the forward line all depends on Martins and Owen, and whether or not either of them can work in that role. I think Martins probably will with some guidance, Owen is the questionably one. Viduka is a good signing, and i'm absolutely chuffed cos i've wanted him here all season, but Milner simply has to be in the team for me.

Think the rest of the team works tbh. Defense, good. Midfield, good. Butt protecting the back four, Emre the 'mixer', ball-winner, roaming around supplying the wide men so to speak. I bet he'd be good at that role. Barton as the tenacious, attack natured centre-mid, helping out the main man up top. Still, i bet Barton and Emre could alternate roles quite comfortably.

However, we can't firmly predict waht Sam is going to do, for the rest of the transfer window or starting line-ups-wise. Which is why i'm peeing myself with excitement.

Replace Martins with Viduka and move Owen to that position and Viduka up top alone and I think you're not far off what Big Sam is looking for.

.....................Given

Brown...Taylor...Ben Haim...Baines

...........Barton.....Emre/Butt

................Joe Cole (I wish!)

....Anelka.....................Martins

................Viduka

Replace Martins with Viduka and move Owen to that position and Viduka up top alone and I think you're not far off what Big Sam is looking for.

Yeah, i think you're right really. Like i said to Leazes, if he's going to drop one of Martins/Owen/Milner, it'd be Martins. Which i suppose is understandable, but kind of a shame because i reckon Martins would work better down that left 'wing' than Owen. And i love Oba.

I keep standing up for Mickey but we really should just flog him. :lol: ;)

BTW... does that team come out alright for you? Just wondering, cos like i say, my monitor's tiny and i'm wondering if all the names come out all over the place. Just in advance to matchday threads. :lol:

Yeah, i think you're right really. Like i said to Leazes, if he's going to drop one of Martins/Owen/Milner, it'd be Martins. Which i suppose is understandable, but kind of a shame because i reckon Martins would work better down that left 'wing' than Owen. And i love Oba.

Out of Owen, Martins and Milner he'll drop Milner simply because he doesn't have the pace to play in that position, either that or he'll play Milner as the attacking midfielder.

Out of Owen, Martins and Milner he'll drop Milner simply because he doesn't have the pace to play in that position, either that or he'll play Milner as the attacking midfielder.

Arguably, yeah - but in spite of Milner's lack of pace - he's excellent on the ball and there isn't a player in our side who can beat his man better than him. I still reckon he'd be alright.

Not many mentions of Dyer.

Regardless of how much of a tit he is, i think Sam will want to utilise him to his full potential which, as we all know, is very high.

I'm guessing we all saw the last 2 England matches. I haven't seen that kind of pace from KD since...well, his early days really.