Now it's Nicky Shorey - The Sun

sempuki

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007270213,00.html

Shore up my leaky defence

SAM ALLARDYCE has joined the growing list of bosses chasing new England star Nicky Shorey.

Newcastle are desperate for reinforcements at left-back.

And £5million-rated Shorey is a top target after the Magpies new boss cooled his interest in Wigan’s Leighton Baines.

Shorey, 26, is in high demand after proving his Premiership quality with Reading last season and winning his first England call-up.

One of Allardyce’s first tasks at St James’ Park is to bolster his defence.

Celestine Babayaro took the left-back slot for much of last season but Peruvian midfielder Nobby Solano, who yesterday agreed a new one-year contract, was forced to deputise on several occasions.

Centre-half Titus Bramble has also left to join Wigan.

Billionaire Mike Ashley’s Toon takeover has released substantial funds for Big Sam to start building a team.

He has already signed Aussie striker Mark Viduka and is set to raid former club Bolton for defender Tal Ben Haim.

Reading are desperately trying to hang on to Shorey and have opened contract talks with him in an effort to fend off interest from their rivals.

West Ham are also keen on him and are prepared to pay around £6m for the ex-Leyton Orient player.

Allardyce is also facing a fight with Borussia Dortmund to land Czech Republic star David Rozehnal.

He has been tracking the Paris St Germain ace and is ready to launch a £2m bid but Dortmund also want the 26-year-old defender. Rozehnal’s agent Pavel Zika said: “I am convinced that everything will be decided very soon.

“So far Newcastle have shown their interest only in the papers.

“The question now is if they really confirm their interest and enter the negotiations. Both clubs are high-

quality and both competitions are good. I think David slightly prefers Dortmund but the discussions with the clubs will be decisive.”

Rozehnal began his career with Czech side Sigma Olomouc and twice won the Belgian title with Bruges before his move to PSG in 2005.

Meanwhile, Joey Barton’s switch to St James’ Park is being held up by a row with Manchester City over a £300,000 loyalty payment.

Eastlands chiefs are refusing to give in to Barton and Allardyce is fuming over the hold-up.

He blasted: “They are out of order. This is a private matter, a confidential issue that should not have been made public. I’m flabbergasted and want the situation resolved.”

PFA chief Mick McGuire added: “This is not an easy situation because City believe Joey is not entitled to the money, because it was the player who triggered the move by activating the part of his contract that says he can talk to other clubs who bid £5.5million.

“City believe by doing that he effectively asked for a transfer.”

City would prefer for everything to be delayed until new owners and a new manager are in place.

Out of Shorey and Baines, I'd go for the latter as he has far more natural ability. Shorey is solid enough but is a pretty limited player, what you saw against Brazil is about all your going to get with him.

Out of Shorey and Baines, I'd go for the latter as he has far more natural ability. Shorey is solid enough but a pretty limited player, what you saw against Brazil is about all your going to get.

Shorey's quality on the ball from what I saw last season and probably the better defender, he was average against Brazil.

Celestine Babayaro took the left-back slot for much of last season but Peruvian midfielder Nobby Solano, who yesterday agreed a new one-year contract, was forced to deputise on several occasions.

Hardly the most accurate account I've read.

how do people get away with writing such shite?

jesus christ

PFA chief Mick McGuire added: “This is not an easy situation because City believe Joey is not entitled to the money, because it was the player who triggered the move by activating the part of his contract that says he can talk to other clubs who bid £5.5million.

That doesn't make sense to me, if the clause was triggered it was triggered by a club offering the fee.

probably stems from their boss asking them where there scoop for tmrw's paper is two hours before it goes to press..

just page fillers, if it was in anyway important you think someone would be checking to make sure they didnt look like tits.

how do people get away with writing such shite?

jesus christ

Sort of does the writers credibilty not much good.

So Baines is 5"8 and will cost £5m

Shorey is 5"9 and will cost £5m

And we arent interested in Baines because he will cost too much and is too short??

Bloody tabloids

The issue is more likely to be aerial ability rather than height if there's any truth in the reason we're no longer interested in Baines. Haven't seen enough of either to say who is better in the air though.

I'd be very happy if we signed Shorey, he looks very confident on the ball, does the simple thing and is willing to overlap the winger to support. I thought he was one of our best players against Brazil. I don't think £5m is particularly expensive for his quality.

I haven't seen much of Baines so can't really comment on who I'd prefer out of the 2 however.