The Taylor vs. Huddlestone debate

KaKa

Sorry but this deserved it's own thread ...

Taylor grabs opportunity to impress McClaren

Matt Hughes

Steven Taylor has done enough in the European Under-21 Championship to earn the sobriquet that has haunted many talented young sportsman – Future England Captain. But there is little chance of the adulation going to his head. The Newcastle United defender provided another example of his professionalism yesterday by speaking passionately about his desire to return to this stage as a senior international in two years’ time and, in doing so, he implicitly criticised those players such as David Bentley and Gabriel Agbonlahor who preferred to go on holiday.

Taylor struggled through extra time with an ankle ligament injury on Wednesday and when he hobbled on to the pitch to dispatch England’s tenth penalty against Holland, the contrast in commitment could not have been clearer. As José Mourinho, the Chelsea manager, has noted, the 21-year-old is made from the same stern stuff as John Terry and could one day succeed him as England captain, while the international futures of Bentley and Agbonlahor look bleak.

“When you get into the national team you have got to play to the best of your ability and have pride in the shirt,” Taylor said. “The players who didn’t come are probably kicking themselves, wishing they were involved because we were so close to getting to the final. We believe we could have won.

“The players who weren’t in the squad had their reasons, but we’re paid to do a job, even if it’s a friendly. I was delighted to be named in this squad and my biggest regret was to miss the first game, which hurt me a lot, seeing the lads against the Czech Republic.

Related Links

Pearce looking to restore reputation

England pay for failing to invest in youth

“I want to be back in Sweden in that squad. I would love to play, even if I’ve been capped by the seniors, as it’s a massive tournament. This experience has made me more hungry.”

Further evidence of Taylor’s leadership potential came in the dignified manner he dealt with the slurs of Holland’s coach, Foppe de Haan, who called him a coward and a cheat as he limped towards the sidelines before returning to score the penalty.

“I was told by the fourth official to go off the pitch,” Taylor said. “As I walked off, their manager came up to me, shouting ‘coward’ and ‘cheat’. That’s the last thing I am. He didn’t apologise. I wish Holland all the best, good luck to them, but there’s no way he’s going to call me a cheat or a coward.

“I went up and grabbed the ball straight away and there was no better feeling than sticking it in the net. I didn’t want to make it too obvious to the ‘keeper I had a bang, but he might have clicked a little bit. When I celebrated, I made sure I jumped on my left foot.”

Steve McClaren, the England head coach, was one of many watching observers to be impressed and after selecting Taylor for the England B game against Albania last month, a call-up for the senior side’s friendly against Germany in August would be a fitting reward for his efforts. Sam Allardyce should also urge the Newcastle board to sort out the improved contract he is due in case Mourinho acts on his admiration.

“After I had the drugs test, McClaren came into the dressing-room and was really encouraging,” Taylor said. “It was nice for the England manager to come down and see the players as the lads did themselves justice and we’ve done our country proud.

“The under21s is a great honour but to play in the senior side would be the icing on the cake, a dream come true. We have to go back to our clubs, make sure we perform and then it’s up to the manager. Hopefully, he has seen enough.”

What will become of the likely lads?

Five to watch

Steven Taylor (Picture 1) England’s outstanding player of the competition will surely graduate to Steve McClaren’s senior squad before long. The Newcastle United defender’s strength, commitment and attitude are reminiscent of John Terry, while he has been blessed with more natural pace than the England captain. Led by example throughout, despite not being the captain. 9 out of 10

Scott Carson (Picture 2)With his height and shot-stopping prowess, has the ability to put pressure on Paul Robinson for the No 1 shirt after an impressive tournament in which he made outstanding saves in every match. Must work on his approach to penalties, however, after saving only one of Holland’s 16 spot-kicks and barely getting near the others. 8/10

Nedum Onuoha (Picture 3) Took advantage of Anton Ferdinand’s groin injury to assert his credentials and played so well that he could not be dropped. McClaren is spoilt for choice when it comes to centre backs, but an injury-free season at Manchester City should see him improve further. Given his intelligence and diligence, could yet become a senior international footballer. 8/10

Mark Noble (Picture 4) Brought England’s slow-starting campaign to life with an impressive passing display against Italy and appeared to be the only man in the squad with an eye for the killer ball. The West Ham United midfield player’s enthusiasm was also infectious and he has the ability and attitude to make the step up in due time. 7.5/10

Leroy Lita (Picture 5) Has matured both as a man and as a footballer during 12 months in the Barclays Premiership with Reading, with three goals in as many starts for the under-21s a testament to his improvement. His finishing remains erratic, but his acceleration and agility will cause plenty of problems to defenders next season. Given the paucity of alternatives, a senior cap is not entirely fanciful. 7.5/10

Five flops

David Bentley (Picture 6) and Gabriel Agbonlahor (Picture 7) ended their short-term international prospects by refusing to travel and Kieran Richardson and Tom Huddlestone’s journeys were counter-productive. Richardson offered little except a tantrum when he was substituted against the Czech Republic and Huddlestone’s only contribution was the bad language that caused his sending-off against Serbia. Justin Hoyte also looked out of his depth.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article1969227.ece

Nuff said tbh.

How can you compare two players who play in two diffrent positions??

Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

There was a debate going on recently about who would make it into the England first team first.

The Spurs guys thought Huddlestone had a better chance than Taylor.

Needless to say I found this article quite interesting thats all.

Good stuff. Taylor was always going to be a top player and of England standard. You didn't need 10 games, 20 games or any other such rubbish to see it. It has been obvious from day 1.

The best thing for him now, is to put him alongside  a player of more experience to bring him on.

There was a debate going on recently about who would make it into the England first team first.

Not impressed with Huddlestone at all

Good stuff. Taylor was always going to be a top player and of England standard. You didn't need 10 games, 20 games or any other such rubbish to see it. It has been obvious from day 1.

The best thing for him now, is to put him alongside  a player of more experience to bring him on.

I'm happy for him and hopefully this should really lift his spirits and give him confidence going into next season. This along with our new coaching setup and some experienced defenders to help guide him and he should be well on his way.

How bad did this tournament make Bentley look? Especially given the way the players fought for it at the end. Big mistake not going, Ashley Young looked great too and so now Bentley has extra competition.

If thats the case than Taylor is far better then Huddlestone..

The thing is, Taylor plays in a position that England have more than enough players playing in already, Huddlestone on the other hand have a bigger chance of getting in not because he's a playing in a position that can still be filled.

If thats the case than Taylor is far better then Huddlestone..

The thing is, Taylor plays in a position that England have more than enough players playing in already, Huddlestone on the other hand have a bigger chance of getting in not because he's a playing in a position that can still be filled.

I think the midfield competition is just as tough with the likes of Carrick, Barton, Parker (even though I don't rate him), Jenas (though he hasn't really done much internationally), Gareth Barry etc. Not to mention his two under 21 teammates who he couldn't get in ahead of in Reo-Coker and Noble.

If we played a 4-3-3 on the other hand then I would agree that Huddlestone had a much greater chance than Taylor, as I think this formation is far more suited to his abilities.

Guest kingdawson

Sorry but this deserved it's own thread ...

Taylor grabs opportunity to impress McClaren

Matt Hughes

Steven Taylor has done enough in the European Under-21 Championship to earn the sobriquet that has haunted many talented young sportsman Future England Captain. But there is little chance of the adulation going to his head. The Newcastle United defender provided another example of his professionalism yesterday by speaking passionately about his desire to return to this stage as a senior international in two years time and, in doing so, he implicitly criticised those players such as David Bentley and Gabriel Agbonlahor who preferred to go on holiday.

Taylor struggled through extra time with an ankle ligament injury on Wednesday and when he hobbled on to the pitch to dispatch Englands tenth penalty against Holland, the contrast in commitment could not have been clearer. As José Mourinho, the Chelsea manager, has noted, the 21-year-old is made from the same stern stuff as John Terry and could one day succeed him as England captain, while the international futures of Bentley and Agbonlahor look bleak.

When you get into the national team you have got to play to the best of your ability and have pride in the shirt, Taylor said. The players who didnt come are probably kicking themselves, wishing they were involved because we were so close to getting to the final. We believe we could have won.

The players who werent in the squad had their reasons, but were paid to do a job, even if its a friendly. I was delighted to be named in this squad and my biggest regret was to miss the first game, which hurt me a lot, seeing the lads against the Czech Republic.

Related Links

Pearce looking to restore reputation

England pay for failing to invest in youth

I want to be back in Sweden in that squad. I would love to play, even if Ive been capped by the seniors, as its a massive tournament. This experience has made me more hungry.

Further evidence of Taylors leadership potential came in the dignified manner he dealt with the slurs of Hollands coach, Foppe de Haan, who called him a coward and a cheat as he limped towards the sidelines before returning to score the penalty.

I was told by the fourth official to go off the pitch, Taylor said. As I walked off, their manager came up to me, shouting coward and cheat. Thats the last thing I am. He didnt apologise. I wish Holland all the best, good luck to them, but theres no way hes going to call me a cheat or a coward.

I went up and grabbed the ball straight away and there was no better feeling than sticking it in the net. I didnt want to make it too obvious to the keeper I had a bang, but he might have clicked a little bit. When I celebrated, I made sure I jumped on my left foot.

Steve McClaren, the England head coach, was one of many watching observers to be impressed and after selecting Taylor for the England B game against Albania last month, a call-up for the senior sides friendly against Germany in August would be a fitting reward for his efforts. Sam Allardyce should also urge the Newcastle board to sort out the improved contract he is due in case Mourinho acts on his admiration.

After I had the drugs test, McClaren came into the dressing-room and was really encouraging, Taylor said. It was nice for the England manager to come down and see the players as the lads did themselves justice and weve done our country proud.

The under21s is a great honour but to play in the senior side would be the icing on the cake, a dream come true. We have to go back to our clubs, make sure we perform and then its up to the manager. Hopefully, he has seen enough.

What will become of the likely lads?

Five to watch

Steven Taylor (Picture 1) Englands outstanding player of the competition will surely graduate to Steve McClarens senior squad before long. The Newcastle United defenders strength, commitment and attitude are reminiscent of John Terry, while he has been blessed with more natural pace than the England captain. Led by example throughout, despite not being the captain. 9 out of 10

Scott Carson (Picture 2)With his height and shot-stopping prowess, has the ability to put pressure on Paul Robinson for the No 1 shirt after an impressive tournament in which he made outstanding saves in every match. Must work on his approach to penalties, however, after saving only one of Hollands 16 spot-kicks and barely getting near the others. 8/10

Nedum Onuoha (Picture 3) Took advantage of Anton Ferdinands groin injury to assert his credentials and played so well that he could not be dropped. McClaren is spoilt for choice when it comes to centre backs, but an injury-free season at Manchester City should see him improve further. Given his intelligence and diligence, could yet become a senior international footballer. 8/10

Mark Noble (Picture 4) Brought Englands slow-starting campaign to life with an impressive passing display against Italy and appeared to be the only man in the squad with an eye for the killer ball. The West Ham United midfield players enthusiasm was also infectious and he has the ability and attitude to make the step up in due time. 7.5/10

Leroy Lita (Picture 5) Has matured both as a man and as a footballer during 12 months in the Barclays Premiership with Reading, with three goals in as many starts for the under-21s a testament to his improvement. His finishing remains erratic, but his acceleration and agility will cause plenty of problems to defenders next season. Given the paucity of alternatives, a senior cap is not entirely fanciful. 7.5/10

Five flops

David Bentley (Picture 6) and Gabriel Agbonlahor (Picture 7) ended their short-term international prospects by refusing to travel and Kieran Richardson and Tom Huddlestones journeys were counter-productive. Richardson offered little except a tantrum when he was substituted against the Czech Republic and Huddlestones only contribution was the bad language that caused his sending-off against Serbia. Justin Hoyte also looked out of his depth.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article1969227.ece

Nuff said tbh.

This country's bizzare fasination with Bravery and determination over actual skill is the reason why England will never ever win another major tournament again. Ok Taylor played excellently against Holland but he was poor the other matches (especially the first game) yet the article gives him a 9/10 purely because he carried on playing whilst he was injured and took a penalty.

This country's bizzare fasination with Bravery and determination over actual skill is the reason why England will never ever win another major tournament again. Ok Taylor played excellently against Holland but he was poor the other matches (especially the first game) yet the article gives him a 9/10 purely because he carried on playing whilst he was injured and took a penalty.

He's shit at being suspended, i'll give you that one.

I think you have a fair point overall though, irrespective of the individuals involved in this particular thread.

Guest kingdawson

He's s*** at being suspended, i'll give you that one.

I think you have a fair point overall though, irrespective of the individuals involved in this particular thread.

sorry i meant the 1st game he played.

He's shit at being suspended, i'll give you that one.

I think you have a fair point overall though.

I'd agree with this as well. Fair play to Taylor for doing us and the country proud, but the media bollocks on these shores is marvellous to behold sometimes. You'd think the lad had just fucking pulled four squadmates out of a blazing inferno in Iraq the way they've gone on. Let's hope he keeps his feet on the ground after all of it - that's my main worry.

I do think he's got a massive future if he keeps his head though, more potential than Huddlestone, but not by too much.

Carrick , Barton, Parker,  Jenas, etc..

Compared to:

Rio Ferdinand, John Terry,Jaime Carragher Ledley King, Sol Campbell, Jonthan Woodgate, Titus Bramble, etc..

More like Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, David Beckham, Scott Parker, Kieron Dyer, Jermaine Jenas, Joey Barton, Nigel Reo-Coker and Mark Noble

Compared to Rio Ferdinand, John Terry,Jaime Carragher Ledley King, Sol Campbell, Jonthan Woodgate (Bramble has no chace of being ahead of Taylor).

I'd agree with this as well. Fair play to Taylor for doing us and the country proud, but the media bollocks on these shores is marvellous to behold sometimes. You'd think the lad had just f****** pulled four squadmates out of a blazing inferno in Iraq the way they've gone on. Let's hope he keeps his feet on the ground after all of it - that's my main worry.

I do think he's got a massive future if he keeps his head though, more potential than Huddlestone, but not by too much.

most young players will go through a stale spell,i hope the end to last season was his.

as for the huddlestone debate i think huddlestone could play earlier in a fully competitive england game(non friendly) due to the competition he has for his position as opposed to taylor for his

Guest kingdawson

I'd agree with this as well. Fair play to Taylor for doing us and the country proud, but the media bollocks on these shores is marvellous to behold sometimes. You'd think the lad had just f****** pulled four squadmates out of a blazing inferno in Iraq the way they've gone on. Let's hope he keeps his feet on the ground after all of it - that's my main worry.

most young players will go through a stale spell,i hope the end to last season was his.

as for the huddlestone debate i think huddlestone could play earlier in a fully competitive england game(non friendly) due to the competition he has for his position as opposed to taylor for his

Exactly my point.

Probably get slated for this given how much most here have seen of him but if it were up to me Nedum Onuoha would be way ahead of Taylor in the England queue. He's no come out of this tournament with the same amount of brownie points as Taylor cos he didn't play on thru his injury - and he hasn't had as much first team action due to the continuing excellence/fitness of Dunne/Distin and his own injury problems, but purely on ability to defend - For me he's miles in front of Taylor. Miles quicker, stronger, smarter, and most importantly I think he's better on fundementals such as positioning. In time I reckon Onuoha could easily play for England (as long as he's alongside a player who can use the ball). No going to pretend I don't look at him thru blue tinted glasses but he was easily Englands man of the tournament for me - best player on the pitch the other night by a fucking street. Never been anything but impressed when he's played in central defence for City either. Shame about the injury problems he's had - kept him off the radar for most non City fans I imagine - I bet most people have never seen him play centre half before this tournament. Turned a few heads tho.

Probably get slated for this given how much most here have seen of him but if it were up to me Nedum Onuoha would be way ahead of Taylor in the England queue. He's no come out of this tournament with the same amount of brownie points as Taylor cos he didn't play on thru his injury - and he hasn't had as much first team action due to the continuing excellence/fitness of Dunne/Distin and his own injury problems, but purely on ability to defend - For me he's miles in front of Taylor. Miles quicker, stronger, smarter, and most importantly I think he's better on fundementals such as positioning. In time I reckon Onuoha could easily play for England (as long as he's alongside a player who can use the ball). No going to pretend I don't look at him thru blue tinted glasses but he was easily Englands man of the tournament for me - best player on the pitch the other night by a f****** street. Never been anything but impressed when he's played in central defence for City either. Shame about the injury problems he's had - kept him off the radar for most non City fans I imagine - I bet most people have never seen him play centre half before this tournament. Turned a few heads tho.

Overall he did have a better tournament I agree.

He is a beast. The next Sol Campbell.

Onuoha just killed Anton Ferdinands England career.

Would be good for him to just train with the senior squad.

He already has a big ego, imagine if he got his first cap for England, we would have trouble on our hands and he would want away to one of the top 4 straight away!

What makes you say this?

Guest kingdawson

Probably get slated for this given how much most here have seen of him but if it were up to me Nedum Onuoha would be way ahead of Taylor in the England queue. He's no come out of this tournament with the same amount of brownie points as Taylor cos he didn't play on thru his injury - and he hasn't had as much first team action due to the continuing excellence/fitness of Dunne/Distin and his own injury problems, but purely on ability to defend - For me he's miles in front of Taylor. Miles quicker, stronger, smarter, and most importantly I think he's better on fundementals such as positioning. In time I reckon Onuoha could easily play for England (as long as he's alongside a player who can use the ball). No going to pretend I don't look at him thru blue tinted glasses but he was easily Englands man of the tournament for me - best player on the pitch the other night by a f****** street. Never been anything but impressed when he's played in central defence for City either. Shame about the injury problems he's had - kept him off the radar for most non City fans I imagine - I bet most people have never seen him play centre half before this tournament. Turned a few heads tho.

100% agree. Said the same thing yesterday. Looks a major talent. Is he actually going to start for your lot next season?

Onuoha and Taylor to be Englands first choice CBs in a few years when Terry/Woodgate and Ferdinand are past it?

Or is that very wishful thinking?

Either way both came out of the tournament with an improved reputation, and not just for their football; Taylor for the above and Onuoha I'd say for how he dealt with the racist abuse.