The Taylor vs. Huddlestone debate

KaKa

Guest kingdawson

So you disagree that Dawson is higher up the pecking order then Taylor?

So you disagree that Noble is higher up the pecking order than Huddlestone?

Your being ridiculous now tbh. Noble got his first under 21 cap a couple of days before the actual tournament started. Before that Huddlestone was continuosly chosen ahead of him plus the number of box to box players this country has that are already ahead of noble (Gerrard, Jenas, Nrc to name a few).

Dawson on the other hand has already been capped so no matter what way you look at things and no matter how shite you think he is, Dawson is ahead of Taylor in the pecking order.

:lol:

Since when do half of those play centre back then?

Is that what he was doing? fair enough, take cole, bridge, shorey and p. nevile from the list and add Onouyou to the list.

His name is Onuoha for goodness sake!

Guest kingdawson

:lol:

Since when do half of those play centre back then?

Is that what he was doing? fair enough, take cole, bridge, shorey and p. nevile from the list and add Onouyou to the list.

His name is Onuoha for goodness sake!

Yeh sorry, didnt know it pissed you off so much.

Guest kingdawson

My honest, unbiased list would be:

Ferdinand, Terry, King, Carragher, Woodgate, Dawson, Brown, Campbell and Lescott ahead of Taylor.

Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Hargreaves, Jenas, Barton, Reo Coker, Parker ahead of Huddlestone

A key point that has to be made is also the issue of first team appearances for their clubs.

How many people get picked for England without playing regularly for their clubs? Taylor is practically a first team defender already, but Huddlestone doesn't look like he will be in ahead of Jenas and Zokora anytime soon, not for the next couple of seasons anyway.

This works in Taylor's favour as well.

Out of sight out of mind.

Why are people even debating where the likes of Taylor, Onuoha, Huddlestone etc should rank in terms of the senior squad? They're 21, 20 and 21 respectively and at these ages I'd expect them to be well down the pecking order in terms of places in the first team. Give them a chance if it's practical but I wouldn't and shouldn't expect any of them to dislodge anyone just yet.

They're players for the future, 4-5 years away. The majority of the England defence are around their peak ages now and in a few years will be past their best - this is the time for the likes of Taylor etc to step up (providing they stay on the right track).

Out of sight out of mind.

Dont really agree, as far as England national team is concerned. Brown doesn't get too many games in Man U yet he was ahead of quite a few other regular centre backs. Phil Neville doesn't play left back for Everton yet he was the prefered left back when Cole + Bridged weren't available. Kieran Richardson doesn't get too many games in Man U yet he was ahead of Young etc as left winger.

IMO McLaren prefers big club fringe players over small club mainstays.

I think Huddlestone will get called up before Taylor will simply due to the fact that England are a nation blessed with quality centre halves, whereas Tom Huddlestone is the one and only ball playing English central midfielder. Tom Huddlestone is more unique than Taylor and hence be more useful.

Personally i couldn't give a s*** who gets called up first. :lol:

Yup, i'm along those lines.......

If either of them was called up in the near future and got a start in a 'meaningful match' i'd be more than a bit worried.

Don't mind them being called up for 'experience' but neither are ready..............yet

Dawson on the other hand has already been capped

Has he? ???

If Taylor was 23 he'd be in the England squad ahead of Dawson, the only reason he isn't is because like Dawson he has no chance of getting a game, so he's better off being left in the under 21's squad to develop, if Dawson was 21 he wouldn't be in the England squad either, anyone who's seen McClaren's interviews on Newcastle World in the past will tell you he's right up Taylor's arse.

As for Huddlestone, he hasn't even shown the ability to perform in the Premiership on a consistent basis yet, his lack of pace and all round lethargic style of play makes me doubt he ever will either.

Guest Triglett

I've already talked about Huddlestone at length, and basically, although there are some obvious deficiencies, if he uses his body to scare the shite out of opposing players, he'll be fine. He used to play at CB a lot at Derby, so I imagine he can be more dominant and aggressive if we coax it out of him. General work off the ball like his positioning and awareness need to be tweaked a fair bit, and if we work on his strengths (creativity, passing and shooting) he could be spectacular. He could be as lazy as Lumpard and it wouldn't matter.

But what I find odd is how you guys can say that Taylor should be in the full squad ahead of Dawson, or justify claims that he has more potential. It's understandable that we all stick up for our own players, and to be fair, I've probably only seen enough of Taylor to pick up the bad bits (no doubt like you with Dawson), and defenders should primarily be judged on consistency...but those 2 extra years Dawson has on Taylor have been taken away by the persistent groin and hamstring injuries he picked up earlier on in his career, while he was kept out for around a year with glandular fever. Instead of letting that hamper his progress, what he's achieved has been nothing short of remarkable - I think he was actually called up by SGE to train with the squad when he was a youngster at Forest, and he was the last captain of the U21s before NRC. He played 58 games for Spurs last season, he was the only mainstay in defence, he's adored by Jol and all the coaching staff, he's already captained Spurs on one occasion, and he was probably our player of the season after Berbatov...he's not ready for the senior side yet, and it's doubtful he'll ever make that full breakthrough with the players he's got ahead of him, but he's more deserving of a place in the squad than Taylor IMO.

The reason everyone doesn't rate Dawson is because he's always absolutely wank against us, most notably when Shearer repeatedly embarassed him for pace of all things when we beat you 3-1 at SJP a couple of seasons ago.

EDIT: and, obviously there are a lot of people (myself included) who don't see a great deal of him apart from those two games a year.

My honest, unbiased list would be:

Ferdinand, Terry, King, Carragher, Woodgate, Dawson, Brown, Campbell and Lescott ahead of Taylor.

Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Hargreaves, Jenas, Barton, Reo Coker, Parker ahead of Huddlestone

But when you conisder:

King - rumours over serious injury that will hamper him until he retires (not substantiated I grant you)

Woodgate - perma crock

Campbell - Old

Essentially leaves Dawson, Brown, Lescott and Taylor to fight for the 4th squad place (assuming Terry, Ferdinand and Carra are shoe ins).

I'd then put Taylor ahead of Lescott purely as Taylor will get rave reviews from Pearce and Mike Badwin hasn't exactly been forward in putting Lescotts name in squads. (Haven't seen enough of Lescott to give an opinion on his ability btw).

It will be interesting to see how Taylor does alongside anybody other than bramble next season, I think that he will be a squad regular after the coming season

Guest Triglett

The reason everyone doesn't rate Dawson is because he's always absolutely w*** against us, most notably when Shearer repeatedly embarassed him for pace of all things when we beat you 3-1 at SJP a couple of seasons ago.

EDIT: and, obviously there are a lot of people (myself included) who don't see a great deal of him apart from those two games a year.

:thup:

Personally i think Dawson is a decent centre back made look good because of Ledley King. Woodgate made Bramble look competent in some games ffs. When King is out of the spurs team he doesn't look half the player, that doesn't mean to say he is s*** though.

On the other hand, i believe Taylor will be better than Ledley King never mind Dawson. He's got alot to learn but out of all the young England centre backs, only that Man City kid looks as promising.

As for Huddlestone, he's not done enough to be rated a future star for me. There are truck loads of midfielders in front of him and the senior england midfield.

Guest Morph

Care how good Newcastle and Spurs England internationals are tbh.  Truth of the matter is, none of them are good enough to help England win a major tournament.

Edit: Oh wait, We've still got Michael Owen.  Toon 1-0 Spuds.

Guest kingdawson

Personally i think Dawson is a decent centre back made look good because of Ledley King. Woodgate made Bramble look competent in some games ffs. When King is out of the spurs team he doesn't look half the player, that doesn't mean to say he is s***.

On the other hand, i believe Taylor will be better than Ledley King never mind Dawson. He's got alot to learn but out of all the young England centre backs only that Man City kid looks as promising.

As for Huddlestone, he's not done enough to be rated a future star for me. There are truck loads of midfielders in front of him and the senior england midfield.

You serious??

Personally i think Dawson is a decent centre back made look good because of Ledley King. Woodgate made Bramble look competent in some games ffs. When King is out of the spurs team he doesn't look half the player, that doesn't mean to say he is s***.

On the other hand, i believe Taylor will be better than Ledley King never mind Dawson. He's got alot to learn but out of all the young England centre backs only that Man City kid looks as promising.

You serious??

By the time Taylor reaches 26 I'm pretty confident he will be as good if not better than King.

You serious??

Deadly. I rate King highley, apart form the fact he gets crocked alot. Take it from me, Newcastle fans know good defenders when they see them. They dont come along often you know.

BTW your "You serious?" attempt to be little other forum members might work on a yid forum but it won't work on here.

If i go through all your absurd posts and put "you serious" after them you would look like a toss pot too, so cut it.

Guest kingdawson

You serious??

Deadly. I rate King highley, apart form the fact he gets crocked alot. Take it from me, Newcastle fans know good defenders when they see them. They dont come along often you know.

BTW your "You serious?" attempt to be little other forum members might work on a yid forum but it won't work on here. If i go through all your absurd posts and put "you serious" after them you would look like a toss pot too, so cut it.

internet thugging at its finest.

Actually I don't rate Huddlestone. His has talents but I don't think he can fully realize his potential.

At most he will be a useful substitute but not a player that a team should build around.

Taylor still needs a lot of work though. He did have better international prospects because he's captained U19 and U21 team already and has massive reputation within the managers and coaches.

Even though Huddlestone may be a better player over Taylor, it's Taylor who has better future because of his status and his impression.

Did any spurs fans really have confidence over Huddlestone and wants him to be the key player like Gerrard, or just a useful role player only?