Henry signs for Barcelona

SUPERTOON

Guest Triglett

Wenger's been here and done this before many times over and brought in more than suitable replacements. Anelka for Henry, Overmars for Pires, Petit for Edu, Vieira for Fabregas, Bergkamp for Van Persie, Lauren for Eboue etc etc. Hasn't stopped Gooners calling for his head though, year after year, every summer. Honestly, it happens  :o

I'm worried what this means for us and Bent. Apparently they were keen on him, and he supported Arsenal as a kid. They've mainly been linked with Trezeguet though, which I could definitely live with.

Hmm. I hope Barca keep Etoo too. Them two with Ronaldinho and Messi down the sides, wow. That will be fun. I'd much prefer them to flog the deadwood - Guily, Gudjohnsen, that Argentine fella who scored against Chelsea, and so on.

I'm disappointed for Arsenal tho. Even tho I'm of the opinion that Henry is past his best, and even if Wenger is alright with this, you can't replace a player like that easily. I hope they don't turn to shit - I want them to carry on being good. Be a shame to lose the last piece of flair (from a team that I can tolerate) from the business end of the premiership.

Yeah, but after that CL final Henry produced the worst case of "Bad loser syndrome" I've ever seen.  Everything he said was a load of shit.

Ya, that was hilarious. :laugh:

Guest Guinness

Disappointed he's leaving our league to be honest, great player who always entertains. Also disappointed because it could mean they got for Oba.

They are welcome to Owen.

Could not agree more, would much rather have the money for Owen an replace him, I would be sad to see martins leave though.

Even without Henry last season, some half decent finishing infront of goal and Arsenal would still have been in the title race.

Agreed.

As long as they replace Henry with a good striker that can complement Van Persie they'll be fine.

They are welcome to Owen.

Could not agree more, would much rather have the money for Owen an replace him, I would be sad to see martins leave though.

Would you be happy to see us replace him with Smith?

Guest Toonie

Look if we loose Owen for 9 Million. that 9 million more we have to spend on a rock solid defense. A strike force of Martins, Viduka, Shola and possibly Alan Smith is top class. Martins scored 15 goals this season, Viduka scored 19, Smith can score as well and Shola is a great back up. We also have Andy Caroll coming along nicely who in a few years will be Prem. quality.

Owen is 28 and isn't getting any better. We need to hold onto Martins, negotiate a new contract without a buy out clause and keep building our defense.

For 9 million, we can get another 2 or 3 good defenders which is the top priority now.

Look if we loose Owen for 9 Million. that 9 million more we have to spend on a rock solid defense. A strike force of Martins, Viduka, Shola and possibly Alan Smith is top class. Martins scored 15 goals this season, Viduka scored 19, Smith can score as well and Shola is a great back up. We also have Andy Caroll coming along nicely who in a few years will be Prem. quality.

Owen is 28 and isn't getting any better. We need to hold onto Martins, negotiate a new contract without a buy out clause and keep building our defense.

For 9 million, we can get another 2 or 3 good defenders which is the top priority now.

28 in December or summit.

What we've got to think of it is we paid £16m, £3.5m was part of the Woodgate deal, the FA paid the last year of his wages, plus other compensation, and this time next year he'll be in his last year of his contract, and Liverpool saw fit to sell him for £8m when that came about, when he was highly rated by everyone, and 4 years younger.

Its hard to swallow, but it looks like we have too.

Yeah i'd agree apart from i think if Owen leaves then we need someone better than Smith. Anelka would be good.

Martins scored 17 [/pedant]

Guest toon tone rudeboy

Where has it been said that Arsenal have been interested in Martins?  I missed that.

Guest Toonie

Ideally, I would like to have Dean Ashton come in to partner Martins. I would prefer to have him than have Viduka and Smith.

Guest toon tone rudeboy

Oliver reported months ago saying Wenger thought Martins was a great player and had enquired about him.

Has anyone other than Oliver said this?

Just to point out to some people who may not know, Wenger has said he will honor his contract (which ends this coming season). He has said nothing about staying on after that. After David Dein and now Henry leaving it hardly looks to be plain sailing at Arsenal at the moment. Owen certainly wouldn't be a like-for-like replacement for Henry.

Wenger is on the Real shortlist apparently. I dont think he is likely to leave them before the end of next season, he is an honourable man.

Will be interesting to see who he goes for to fill the hole, Henry has never had a top class partner so Id expect them to bring in a couple of decent players.

Wenger is on the Real shortlist apparently. I dont think he is likely to leave them before the end of next season, he is an honourable man.

Will be interesting to see who he goes for to fill the hole, Henry has never had a top class partner so Id expect them to bring in a couple of decent players.

Did yuo not hear that Henry is on his way to Barcelona?

Did yuo not hear that Henry is on his way to Barcelona?

Now that would be funny! :lol: