Darren Bent signs for Spurs, £16.5m fee confirmed

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

SAM BENT ON DAZ

Exclusive by Darren Lewis 23/06/2007

NEWCASTLE are shock candidates to snatch Darren Bent to ease a potential striker crisis at the club.

Until now Tottenham have been favourites to sign the Charlton marksman, with the two clubs haggling over the fee. Liverpool are also in the running, but their prime target is believed to be Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres.

Tottenham upped their bid from £12million to £14m earlier this week for Bent but the Addicks say they will nothing less than £17m.

AdvertisementNewcastle's interest - backed by billionaire Mike Ashley - will strengthen Charlton's hand.

In recent days it had looked as though the relegated club were about to relent in their impasse with Spurs over their valuation of Bent.

Toon boss Sam Allardyce has lingering concerns over get-out clauses in the contracts of both Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins.

Allardyce fears losing one or even both forwards before the end of the transfer window.

Bent turned a £75,000-a-week, five-year deal to go to West Ham earlier this month - after Upton Park chiefs had agreed a £17m fee - insisting he is driven by ambition and not money. Newcastle can match that ambition with Big Sam's sights set firmly on ending the long wait for silverware at St James' Park.

Manchester City could also enter the running for Bent. City are desperate for a string of big-name signings - and a striker in particular - as the Eastlands club were the lowest scorers in the Premiership last season.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Martins wants to go back to Italy.

If we get the 13mil thats in the contract put it staright on Bent + add-ons i think that is a great deal.

Bent has all the positive attributes Martins has without the dodgy private life

No, Owen's staying for the time being because no top 4 club will pay £9m.

I don't think the fee is off putting.

It his wages, injury record that they are probably are not sure on. Was going to say that none of them are looking for a striker but Henry going has changed that.

Guest Guinness

So yesterday they said we were going to sign Alan Smith, today they say we're after Bent, who's it going to be tomorrow?

Guest teepee

we'll be linked to a striker every day until martins and owen are tied to the club either by a public pledge or the transfer window closes...

£17m for a striker who's had one or two good seasons in the Premierleague? No thanks.

I seriously cannot believe THIERRY FUCKING HENRY is leaving for £16m and Bent will be signed by some dumb club for £17m.

He's really one-dimentional and needs a partner to create things for him (or for the whole team to go through him ie. play 4-5-1). That's why it's understandable Spurs are going for him (Berbatov to be the creator), but I'd be seriously annoyed if we went for him. We'd have two or three pretty much selfish strikers.

Guest Triglett

Mail and Times both report we're set to sign him for £13m + £3m in add ons. Not completely unreasonable.

You get linked with Defoe every window...reckon there's any chance of that happening with Allardyce?

The Journal is reporting that both Martins and Owen will start the season at Newcastle. Of course the buy out clauses could change things swiftly, but if they do stay, Darren Bent, Alan Smith and the Mirror can fuck right off with my full blessing.

If we get the 13mil thats in the contract put it staright on Bent + add-ons i think that is a great deal.

Martins said he puts his future here at Newcastle just after the gun-attack so why would he want to go back to italy now!  :undecided:

Martins said he puts his future here at Newcastle just after the gun-attack so why would he want to go back to italy now!  :undecided:

He's obviously got deep roots there - he played in Italy for years, and he went there during the season for treatment (if memory serves) and also after the shenanigans in Lagos. The Italy rumours bother me more than Arsenal/Chelsea...

Unless a massive offer comes in i doubt he will be going anywhere. I see no reason why Martins would be unhappy at Newcastle or that big sam would want rid of martins.

Owen on the other hand.....

Unless a massive offer comes in i doubt he will be going anywhere. I see no reason why Martins would be unhappy at Newcastle or that big sam would want rid of martins.

Simple reason Martins may be unhappy, no Europeon football. I don't think someone who is used to paly in the CL every year with Inter will be particularly impressed that he has no europeon football this year.