Greatest Player You've Ever Seen In An England Shirt

Tooj

Posted this over at Toontastic so thought I may as well do the same over here.  :parky:

Fancied starting a topic that I thought would be a quite interesting one to talk over, especially with a lot of you folk being older than me and having more of an insight if you will.

Being only 5 at Italia '90 don't really remember seeing Gazza at that point so I only really got to see post-cruciate Gazza for England, however I do remember being about 7 or 8 and my cousin bringing round a video of Italia '90 and to this day Gazza's performance against Holland in particular was one of the greatest I've ever seen. He was running rings around the likes of Gullit with ease, in particular the one Cruyff turn he done on Koeman has to go down as one of the greatest things I can honestly say I've ever witnessed on a football field.

If not Gazza it would have to be Shearer pre '97, in particular watching him at Euro '96, the best striker in the world at the time. That was of course until a certain Ronaldo went to Barcelona. Really was something at the time looking back, I know me and Alex have discussed this before, but although we got great service out of Shearer I still feel we were robbed of the player we signed for 9 of those years, which was a real shame.

Would also be interesting obviously due to generation gaps etc what the general consensus actually is about this, me granda says Tom Finney is the greatest player he's ever saw play for England, me mam and dad both say Bryan Robson.

Fuck me, that's a question and a half.  :undecided:

Hoddle was superb, as was Robson.

Notable mentions to Shearer, Gascoigne, Lineker and Butcher. Barnes and Waddle were too inconsistent.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Top contributions from the both of you there.  :clap:

Answer me this. Who has a better goals:game ratio than Crouch for England? Answer = NO ONE. NOE ONE IS BETTER THAN CROCUH FOR ENGLAND

So many options, i mean for me anyway (i ain't seen much tbf). Well, actually so few options.

There were/are so many players that were awesome on their day.

Probably Beckham. ???

Guest Alan Shearer 9

So many options, i mean for me anyway (i ain't seen much tbf). Well, actually so few options.

There were/are so many players that were awesome on their day.

Probably Beckham. ???

If becjham didn't have Coruch on the end of his crosses there would be no goals

Posted this over at Toontastic so thought I may as well do the same over here.  :parky:

Fancied starting a topic that I thought would be a quite interesting one to talk over, especially with a lot of you folk being older than me and having more of an insight if you will.

Being only 5 at Italia '90 don't really remember seeing Gazza at that point so I only really got to see post-cruciate Gazza for England, however I do remember being about 7 or 8 and my cousin bringing round a video of Italia '90 and to this day Gazza's performance against Holland in particular was one of the greatest I've ever seen. He was running rings around the likes of Gullit with ease, in particular the one Cruyff turn he done on Koeman has to go down as one of the greatest things I can honestly say I've ever witnessed on a football field.

If not Gazza it would have to be Shearer pre '97, in particular watching him at Euro '96, the best striker in the world at the time. That was of course until a certain Ronaldo went to Barcelona. Really was something at the time looking back, I know me and Alex have discussed this before, but although we got great service out of Shearer I still feel we were robbed of the player we signed for 9 of those years, which was a real shame.

Would also be interesting obviously due to generation gaps etc what the general consensus actually is about this, me granda says Tom Finney is the greatest player he's ever saw play for England, me mam and dad both say Bryan Robson.

I'd have to probably say Gazza at Italia '90 although that may be based on some of the hype, but if it was the best I'd seen actually live then it would be Keegan who I watched many years ago at Wembley in a home international against Northern Ireland.  We won 4-1 and I missed 3 of our goals for different reasons, I did see Keegan score but missed one from Terry Mac, I think.

I go back to 1966, and I'd say Gazza. He had the capacity to lift the performance of the whole side.

But a short while from now, I'll probably be saying Rooney. He hasn't really turned it on in an England shirt yet, but he's an immense all-round talent. He has it in him to be one of the best two or three players in the world.

I go back to 1966, and I'd say Gazza. He had the capacity to lift the performance of the whole side.

But a short while from now, I'll probably be saying Rooney. He hasn't really turned it on in an England shirt yet, but he's an immense all-round talent. He has it in him to be one of the best two or three players in the world.

Finished Rio Ferdinand's autobiog (my dad picked it up for 50p). He talks about going to England training camp for France 98 when Gazza was training wearing a bin bag to try to lose weight, and he says even then he was miles better than any other player during training and couldn't believe he wasn't picked.

I can remember Italia 1990...however my memories are very vague. I can remember seeing the likes of Lineker, Beardsley, Platt, Pearce et al but no enough to stick my neck out and say "x is the best". Really I'm better going from Euro 96 onwards. There are a few candidates from the more sucessful 96 team...Shearer, Gazza...etc and some from whats followed - Gerrard, Owen, etc. I'm going to have to go for someone who did it over a longer period than that month. I feel funny saying this - not only because of who he plays for but also because their are no extraordinary moments that can I recollect, especially from major tournaments, such as what Gazza did vs Scotland.

Paul Scholes.  :idiot2:

Maybe no as spectacular as some but I honestly think he is and was a wonderful player. From 97 or so until the world cup in Japorea I think he was Englands best player. I remember the period around Euro 2000...when Keegan was in charge, he was absolutely awesome for England for a while. Strange picking someone from probably the worst England team that I can vividly remember but there you go. Scored a hattrick in one game I think, and he got the goals that beat Scotland in that playoff. Remember watching a game in the Euro2000 when I noticed a big MCFC flag in the crowd. Said "Ooh look, theres a City flag", someone else - who obviously knew nowt, had a penny drop somewhere and claimed that the only reason I was knocking one out over Scholes mad was cos he played for City...soon shut up when I pointed out that wasn't entirely accurate.

Fucking travesty that he got bumped aside for the vastly inferior Lampard :huff:

Also, Micah Richards.  :laugh:

Answer me this. Who has a better goals:game ratio than Crouch for England? Answer = NO ONE. NOE ONE IS BETTER THAN CROCUH FOR ENGLAND

Answer = Dixie Dean. Who no-one has ever seen. Or Jimmy Greaves. Who someone might have.

f*** me, that's a question and a half.  :undecided:

Notable mentions to Shearer, Gascoigne, Lineker and Butcher. Barnes and Waddle were too inconsistent.

Can't ever remember Hoddle being superb for England tbh

Duncan Edwards

How old are you? Serious question. I never saw him, told he was good but have no evidence other what me fatha has said. Even then he didnt see him often.

For me its probably Bryan Robson in 82, Lineker and Beardsley in 1996, Gazza in 1990, Shearer in 1996. Few Geordies there too but no bias  They were just the best players in their squads at the time :lol:

f*** me, that's a question and a half.  :undecided:

Can't ever remember Hoddle being superb for England tbh

Really?

Personally, I thought Hoddle was sheer class.  :undecided:

Gazza in 1990. Without a doubt. He could do the lot man - pass over a hell of a range, beat a man with skill and then stay ahead of him using his turn of pace, get stuck in (even if he was reckless at times), cover every blade of grass and he also had that innate knack of influencing games with a bit of magic when other 'flair' players might have gone missing. World class (and that's the proper usage of that phrase).