Owen very close to leaving?

KaKa

Some very interesting info in the chronicle today ...

Owen pretty much appears to have a week to manufacture a move away, as Oliver says that if he returns to training next Friday then he will pretty much be certain to stay next season. He has been given a special pardon apparently so he doesn't have to come back to training with everyone else at the start of the week.

Something fishy going on here. I think he might be close to a move which is why he has delayed his return to training. I think by next Friday he might very well be gone.

According to Mr. Oliver we are indeed interested in Alan Smith if Owen or Martins leaves! He also says that Alan Smith has already turned down Borough.

Something might very well be in the works as it appears the Alan Smith story was indeed true. I think Owen might be going the other way, and if anything we will probably be receivng the £3.5 million along with Smith for little Micky.

*A lot of this is speculation I know, but just my feelings on the situation which I think might be worth discussing. So take a deep breath before responding. Thanks.

Can we not get someobody better than Alan fucking Smith?

I'm all for Owen leaving, but I don't see the point in getting Smith. He'll expect to start games consistently, and that can only be detrimental to our progress.

Extra rest from the international matches probably. Taylor and Milner will probably have an even longer training break.

Also, the club give Owen time out for sponsorship commitments sometimes, so it may be because of that.

Something might very well be in the works as it appears the Alan Smith story was indeed true. I think Owen might be going the other way, and if anything we will probably be receivng the £3.5 million along with Smith for little Micky.

That deal would equate to something less than Owen's release clause tbh. If we're going to sell him, just sell him.

Guest sicko2ndbest

With the compo deal working out at 10 million, he now owes us nothing

Personally this is the time he needs to come out and put the speculation to bed.

If he dosnt then i would be quite happy to see him go for his release clause price.

Happy if he stays, happy if he goes

That deal would equate to something less than Owen's release clause tbh. If we're going to sell him, just sell him.

Hmmm ... well I guess I was thinking along the lines of Borough's supposed £6million bid for him. That added to the £3.5million would be £9.5million.

However you might be right. We don't know if that £6 million Borough bid was even legit.

Signing Michael Owen has been a mill stone round the neck of NUFC.  If we can spoon him off for 9 million and get our 10 million compo, we could sign another proven goal scorer.  One that doesn't come with baggage.

Hmmm ... well I guess I was thinking along the lines of Borough's supposed £6million bid for him. That added to the £3.5million would be £9.5million.

However you might be right. We don't know if that £6 million Borough bid was even legit.

No - it's just my opinion mate. Smith is worth no more than £4m imo. If Boro are daft enough to go out and pay £6m for him, that's there problem, because he's not worth that at all.

With the compo deal working out at 10 million, he now owes us nothing

Personally this is the time he needs to come out and put the speculation to bed.

If he dosnt then i would be quite happy to see him go for his release clause price.

Happy if he stays, happy if he goes

Good point about the compo deal. Definitely would make it easier for him to leave, as you say it would remove some of the guilt he would no doubt be feeling.

Could you imagine his press conference if he did join another club though?

Reporter: "So Michael ... a message for the Newcastle fans?"

Could get pretty ugly.

Even if we do get compensation, we've still paid him £100,000 every week for the last two years. Even if we do make it back, it doesn't nullify the fact that we've offered him monstrous amounts of cash, for him to do absolutely nothing, and then bugger off. Him leaving, for me, would still be one of the most disloyal departures i'll have witnessed in my time supporting Newcastle.

KaKa, I think you have over analysed the Chronicle article.

It is basically Oliver reciting his Arsenal ITKness, and mentioning that Owen has a delayed return to training (common practice for internationals), before announcing the bleeding obvious fact that we wont be signing any more strikers unless one of our current batch leave.

Owen will be here next season, banging in the goals that will put us in potential title race by next February.

Even if we do get compensation, we've still paid him £100,000 every week for the last two years. Even if we do make it back, it doesn't nullify the fact that we've offered him monstrous amounts of cash, for him to do absolutely nothing, and then bugger off. Him leaving, for me, would still be one of the most disloyal departures i'll have witnessed in my time supporting Newcastle.

Aye agreed, but we cant his this muck going on in January, is he or isn't he leaving, or even next summer or the January after that.  Like the Viera situation at Arsenal a few years back.

Mill stone round the neck. 

Guest shaun11177

Alan Oliver seems desperate that Owen should go to Arsenal, is he on commission.

Agreed if Owen wont sign a contract extension in January we have to sell otherwise he might just run his contract down to nothing.

It is basically Oliver reciting his Arsenal ITKness, and mentioning that Owen has a delayed return to training (common practice for internationals), before announcing the bleeding obvious fact that we wont be signing any more strikers unless one of our current batch leave.

Owen will be here next season, banging in the goals that will put us in potential title race by next February.

Well I certainly wasn't stating it as fact, but I thought it would be interesting to discuss the possibility of the scenario I mentioned. That scenario was the first thing that came to mind when I read the article.

You might indeed be right though and it will be very interesting to see what happens in the next week, prior to his return to training.

Aye, i don't disagree, Northerngimp. Whereas a few weeks ago i was all for him staying, i think i'm now gradually jumping on the 'Owen out' bandwagon*, but it still wouldn't take away the fact that he'd be an utter, utter turd to try and get himself out (IE, not sign a new contract).

*Although, actually more for footballing reasons rather than the media 'mill stone' as you called it (i don't think he'll work in a 4-3-3)

Well I certainly wasn't stating it as fact, but I thought it would be interesting to discuss the possibility of the scenario I mentioned. That scenario was the first thing that came to mind when I read the article.

You might indeed be right though and it will be very interesting to see what happens in the next week, prior to his return to training.

One thing you can be certain of is that Oliver never hints at anything. If he knows something, or incorrectly thinks he knows something, he'll be shouting it from the rooftops.

Easy tiger.

Guest eyeball_tickler

owen has still done very little wrong in my eyes, so until he leaves or at least says he wants to leave i'll be supporting him.

According to Mr. Oliver we are indeed interested in Alan Smith if Owen or Martins leaves! He also says that Alan Smith has already turned down Borough.

I'll cry if we sign Smith to replace one of those two, Smith would maybe be a worthy replacement for Ameobi - NOT martins or Owen.

Aye, i don't disagree, Northerngimp. Whereas a few weeks ago i was all for him staying, i think i'm now gradually jumping on the 'Owen out' bandwagon*, but it still wouldn't take away the fact that he'd be an utter, utter turd to try and get himself out (IE, not sign a new contract).

Yeah total agreed.

Anybody with self repecst & morals would have come out at the end of the season and said "I owe NUFC at LEAST a season, expect me here in July ready for pre season training"

Sadly this is football, and footballers have no morals.

I am really not @rsed if he stays or goes, just please make your mind up either way asap, so if you do leave we have time to purchase a replacement.