Wenger reportedly wants Oba for 13 million according to Sun.

madras

Guest sicko2ndbest

Big Sam just on SSN

''Leaves newcastle in a precarious position as every one knows about his clause. We will sit down with him and hopefully persuade him NUFC is the right place to be''

Don't see why people are happy about this. First of all, we really don't need the money. Second, we will have to replace him, does anyone have any suggestions? Tevez? Would probably cost us £20m at least. Third, we still might loose Owen and would have to replace him as well, and I can't for my life see us getting two high-profile strikers this window.

Despite a £3m profit, it would be terrible business IMO

Big Sam just on SSN

''Leaves newcastle in a precarious position as every one knows about his clause. We will sit down with him and hopefully persuade him NUFC is the right place to be''

Big Sam is just...great.

Big Sam just on SSN

Did he comment about anything else other than Oba?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Allardyce aims to hang on to Martins

28/06/2007 - 10:26:01

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce hopes to persuade striker Obafemi Martins to remain on Tyneside amid speculation he could be a target for Arsenal.

The 22-year-old Nigeria international has a £13m get-out clause in his contract, and is being touted as a possible replacement for Thierry Henry at the Emirates Stadium.

Arsene Wenger is an acknowledged admirer of the player, who scored 17 goals in his first season in England after clinching a £10m move to Newcastle from Inter Milan last summer.

However, Allardyce will sit down with Martins next week when he returns for pre-season training and attempt to convince him of his ambitions for the club.

The manager said: “All I can say from the club’s point of view and mine is that it is only speculation because we have had no official contact from anybody at Arsenal at the moment.

“Everybody knows about the clause situation he has – that leaves us in a very poor position as a football club.

“We have got the player contracted, it does not mean we have got the player and we can decide if we want to sell him or not because there is a get-out clause in that contract.

“We are left in a very precarious position regarding that. All the speculation that is flying around is difficult to cope with, but it is something we will have to try to find out over the next few days.

“When Oba comes back, we will sit down and say: ’What exactly is the situation?’ and if he has any problems, try to resolve them and hopefully persuade him Newcastle is the place for him next season.”

Speculation has been rife over the futures of Martins and £17m record signing Michael Owen, who also has an escape clause in is contract, although Allardyce is hopeful of retaining the services of both.

He said: “I don’t think there is any need to speak to Michael – that was all covered weeks and weeks ago, as far as I was concerned.

“There has been no speculation regarding Michael since then. Now it has moved on to Oba and when that sort of clause is inserted in a contract, those are the sort of players that bring up more speculation than everybody else.”

Meanwhile, Allardyce, who hopes to seal his move for Paris St Germain defender David Rozehnal later today, has admitted his interest in Chelsea utility man Geremi.

He said: “Geremi is something we would like to pursue, but many other clubs in the Premier League will be doing exactly the same thing as Newcastle.

“Hopefully we can persuade him – if we get the opportunity – to join this football club and not the others who will be chasing him as well as us.

“It is a long way from done, but there is an interest there and hopefully we can progress it over the next few days.”

Allardyce’s comments came as the Magpies announced a multi-million pound four-year drinks sponsorship deal with Carling this morning.

Guest Darth Toon

Suppose it all comes down to whether he wants to go - personally I would be very surprised to see him stay if Arsenal come in with a genuine offer, and will be sad to see him go.

Think he'll do well down there if he does go - imagine having to step into the shoes of Alan Shearer and Thierry Henry in the space of 2 seasons - he'll be off to Real Madrid to replace Raul next!

Martins  is going to make some feckers eat some freakin' sour humble pie I'll tell you that much.

Some of you lot disgust me. Do you know the calibre of player we have on our hands here. Just because he isn't the most cultured footballer, that doesn't mean he isn't a good one.

It's so easy to put all the blame on Oba. How many times did our pathetic team fail to get him the ball in decent positions? Do you have any idea how frustrating that is? Of course everytime he then got the ball he was so over eager and desperate to do something with it that he ultimately pressed too hard and messed up. Did you see his frustration at all? At least it meant something to him. He was desperate to do well for Newcastle.

Wow ... a part of me hopes he leaves just to see what the response will be when he inevitably lights us up in every game he faces us.

The better the whole team is as an attacking unit the better Martins will be. It cannot all be left to him. Yes, he will do some things that leave you scratching your head but the more opportunities you create for him the better he becomes and the more confident he is in his play. Martins is one of the most devastating and unpredictable players in the league.

Allardyce’s comments came as the Magpies announced a multi-million pound four-year drinks sponsorship deal with Carling this morning.

Whats this like?  :undecided:

Lager

It could all just be the media as usual putting two and two together and coming up with 5.  Aresenal have just sold their main striker, Newcastle have two strikers with get out clauses, so they automatically link them.

It could turn out to be nothing in it.

Guest 22bnw

Martins scored 17 goals in a season where the rest of the team were absolutely shocking - the last player that did that at Newcastle was...well...Shearer.

Martins scored 17 goals in a season where the rest of the team were absolutely shocking - the last player that did that at Newcastle was...well...Shearer.

And even those 17 were in a season of wildly fluctuating form for the lad.  Could easily have had about 8 more. 

I think we'd do well to do whatever's needed to keep him on board.

Haven't seen this anywhere else so I'll mention it here.

This morning on SSN, in their Transfer Talk round up, they mentioned that Sam is after Rigters the Dutch U21 striker (and top scorer of recent U21's Championship).

What makes me doubt this one, is that they reckoned it would be for a fee of about half a million.

Thought he'd be worth more than that.

Edit -> got link

Source: http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=474119&CPID=9&clid=4&lid=&title=Celtic+target+'to+leave'+NAC

Celtic target Maceo Rigters will leave NAC Breda this summer, according to his agent.

Rigters ended the recent European Under 21 Championship as top scorer as Holland retained the trophy, and skysports.com has previously revealed that both Celtic and Newcastle are following the NAC player.

It is the Scottish club who have seemingly shown the stronger interest in Rigters, who has met with his current employers to discuss his current situation.

Agent Ton Smit now believes the forward will leave NAC in search of a bigger stage.

"That [meeting] has succeeded," Smit told BN/De Stern. "The differences of interpretation have been solved.

"That's why I think that Rigters will leave NAC."

However, the Dutch club have been quick to underline that Celtic must still firm up their interest in the 23-year-old.

"First Celtic will have to undertake concrete action," said technical director Earnest Stewart. "After that will follow eventual negotiations."

And even those 17 were in a season of wildly fluctuating form for the lad.  Could easily have had about 8 more. 

New contract with no clause, take not mr ashley, and mr fat fred this is how to not but the club in jeopardy!

Haven't seen this anywhere else so I'll mention it here.

This morning on SSN, in their Transfer Talk round up, they mentioned that Sam is after Rigters the Dutch U21 striker (and top scorer of recent U21's Championship).

What makes me doubt this one, is that they reckoned it would be for a fee of about half a million.

Thought he'd be worth more than that.

He seems to be a great player with a good future, half a million seems a little low for his potential, maybe their is a buy out clause in his contract, dont know what kind of club would do that  :rolleyes:

Guest 22bnw

And many of them were absolute beauties too,  the lad has got immense quality and potential, if keeping him means putting him on Owen-like wages, I think it'd worth doing.

11 league goals in 34 games. Against the following opposition.

West Ham (A) 1

Reading (H)  1 (pen)

Blackburn (A) 2 (one without a goalkeeper in nets)

Watford (H) 2

Spurs (H) 1 (even Parker scored against Spurs in this game :tongue:)

Spurs (A) 1 (even Huntington & Butt scored against Spurs in this game :tongue:)

Fulham (A) 1

Liverpool (H) 1 (gifted by comedy defending)

Sheffield (A) 1

By no means irreplaceable.

i wil be very sad  if he leaves us :( but on the other hand whyshould he leave us we er a club on the uppside and should within two years  time be at same status as arsenal or higher.

Especially if they replace Henry with Martins.  :razz:

11 league goals in 34 games. Against the following opposition.

West Ham (A) 1

Reading (H)  1 (pen)

Blackburn (A) 2 (one without a goalkeeper in nets)

Watford (H) 2

Spurs (H) 1 (even Parker scored against Spurs in this game :tongue:)

Spurs (A) 1 (even Huntington & Butt scored against Spurs in this game :tongue:)

Fulham (A) 1

Liverpool (H) 1 (gifted by comedy defending)

Sheffield (A) 1

By no means irreplaceable.

i wil be very sad  if he leaves us :( but on the other hand whyshould he leave us we er a club on the uppside and should within two years  time be at same status as arsenal or higher.

Especially if they replace Henry with Martins.  :razz:

:coolsmiley::clap: :clap: