Allardyce justifies his 'Bolton like' signings

KaKa

I'll wait til Allardyce makes all his signings before i judge him, but to be honest, im not that impressed so far, esp in relation to some other signings by other clubs.

Which transfers?

Guest trotter58

I'm sure he will to, seems to have the right idea by building a solid foundation rather than thinking let me go for the hollywood signings.

im looking for the team spirit to go up 100%

how have you guys found team spirit over the last 2 seasons?

One thing you will not have to worry about is team spirit. Big Sam had a simple policy, the players are in charge of the dressing room and he was in charge of what happens on the pitch. He trusted the senior players to sort out any problems with the more junior members of the squad. Anyone who doesn't like it, is swiftly shown the door! The Bowyer/Dyer incident would NEVER have happened under Big Sam, if it had, neither player would have played for the club ever again.

Guest trotter58
What's your stance on cheerleaders, music and those wankers with a flag each?

Good question! They were inflicted on us by the same w*nkers who decreed that we will play in all-white rather than our traditional colours for the last 100 years. The same w*nkers who replaced the red rose of lancashire with a couple of ribbons on our club crest.

What's your stance on cheerleaders, music and those wankers with a flag each?

Good question! They were inflicted on us by the same w*nkers who decreed that we will play in all-white rather than our traditional colours for the last 100 years. The same w*nkers who replaced the red rose of lancashire with a couple of ribbons on our club crest.

Then your opinion is valid. Caaaaarry on.  O0

Guest trotter58
This is one of my fears about Allardyce. He will probably build a squad around his desired formation but some of our better players on paper like Duff and Owen would probably operate better in a 4-4-2.

He WILL build a squad around his desired formation. Remember we had Jay Jay Ockocha and Youri Djorkaeff in the same team and they were expected to fit into the 3-5-1 formation!

Agree with TT on this War Room thing. Sounds fucking class.  :lol:

Just hope this means we'll be fully prepared for every match, unlike last season where we showed up looking soft as shite. Charlton away was the classic example. Everyone on this board knew we'd get raped, by one of the worst teams in the league,  and we did.

Bring more of this stuff on.  :thup:

Guest trotter58

Agree with TT on this War Room thing. Sounds f****** class.  :lol:

Just hope this means we'll be fully prepared for every match, unlike last season where we showed up looking soft as s****. Charlton away was the classic example. Everyone on this board knew we'd get raped, by one of the worst teams in the league,  and we did.

Trust me, you WILL be fully prepared for each and every game. Every player will know their role. Gone are the days of conceeding goals at free-kicks and corners. Just be prepared to sacrifice flair for efficiency. (We lost to Charlton TWICE last season!)

Just hope this means we'll be fully prepared for every match, unlike last season where we showed up looking soft as s****. Charlton away was the classic example. Everyone on this board knew we'd get raped, by one of the worst teams in the league,  and we did.

Trust me, you WILL be fully prepared for each and every game. Every player will know their role. Gone are the days of conceeding goals at free-kicks and corners. Just be prepared to sacrifice flair for efficiency. (We lost to Charlton TWICE last season!)

You didn't see much of us last season, did you? :lol:

as long as it's winning football i'll have no complaints.I think bolton were underatted, i was one of the guys to say ''I hate bolton they're crap'' but looking at it sensibly they did play high tempo and good foot ball at times.

Many BWFC supporters were very disgruntled with the football we played under Big Sam. At best it was functional and regimented, at worst it was absolutely dire. True we were successful but crowds have fallen steadily and in part this can be attributed to the football we played sometimes.

I'm sure you'd be getting a full house in the championship like.  :lol:

Guest trotter58

You didn't see much of us last season, did you? :lol:

Forget the flair, what greater thrill can there be than seeing your centre-forward trample all over Jens Lehman's feet at corner kicks before giving him a sharp dig in the ribs just as he attempts to collect the ball?! Quality tactics!

Guest trotter58

as long as it's winning football i'll have no complaints.I think bolton were underatted, i was one of the guys to say ''I hate bolton they're crap'' but looking at it sensibly they did play high tempo and good foot ball at times.

Many BWFC supporters were very disgruntled with the football we played under Big Sam. At best it was functional and regimented, at worst it was absolutely dire. True we were successful but crowds have fallen steadily and in part this can be attributed to the football we played sometimes.

I'm sure you'd be getting a full house in the championship like.  :lol:

One criticism of Big Sam is that he established us as a top eight Premier League club but that he didn't really know how to integrate the better quality signings we were then able to attract, into his particularly rigid style of play. Can he adapt to managing a big club where expectations are much greater?

Well "newcastle like" signings have often ended up being complete disasters or woefully inadequate so...

Too fucking right! Who wants big name flops? Or big names who jsut come as a stepping stone in their career with their little get out clauses!

Once...?

This is one of my fears about Allardyce. He will probably build a squad around his desired formation but some of our better players on paper like Duff and Owen would probably operate better in a 4-4-2.

He WILL build a squad around his desired formation. Remember we had Jay Jay Ockocha and Youri Djorkaeff in the same team and they were expected to fit into the 3-5-1 formation!

Think you meant 3-5-2 which you played at one point and which i think Sam might return to at Newcastle as has been rumoured to be the case.

Guest trotter58
Think you meant 3-5-2 which you played at one point and which i think Sam might return to at Newcastle as has been rumoured to be the case.

We have never, repeat NEVER, played 3-5-2! Big Sam plays with ONE up front in a 4-5-1 formation.

We have never, repeat NEVER, played 3-5-2! Big Sam plays with ONE up front in a 4-5-1 formation.

Football: Bolton's lack of home comforts hurt Allardyce

Independent, The (London),  Jan 14, 2002  by Guy Hodgson

THE THREE flags waved as part of the pre-match entertainment had the wrong message below the Bolton Wanderers' crest. "I feel good", it read, which is some way from the truth. Worried, fearful, concerned maybe, but good, surely not.

Apprehension swirls in the biting wind at the Reebok and with good reason. Bolton have 24 points this season which is about eight more than most people outside Lancashire expected them to have in January, but 20 were accrued before November was out. Since then it has been a weak midwinter for Sam Allardyce's team.

This result, grafted from the unpromising position of twice being a goal down, spoke volumes for Bolton's spirit, but the lack of a win shouted even more. Slowly, inexoriably, they are being dragged into a relegation battle they thought they might avoid when they headed the Premiership in September.

The reason is not difficult to find for their supporters have had the weakness laid bare before them: Bolton do not get enough from their home matches. Two wins, 11 points and nine goals is relegation form. No wonder the second part of the club's name is Wanderers.

"We have to start winning games," the manager Allardyce conceded. "We had the two good opportunities before Chelsea had a sniff and if we had gone ahead I think we would have been resolute enough to hang on for three points. But all of a sudden the Premiership kicks in and the quality of the player punishes you."

The frustrating thing for the home supporters was that they knew all about the quality of the player who inflicted most of the damage. Eidur Gudjohnsen had two seasons at the Reebok before he was transferred to Chelsea and on Saturday, without his normal foil, the injured Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, he was a plane above every one but the inimitable Gianfranco Zola.

Strong and inventive, he lit up the first half and transformed the second with a goal of power and simplicity. He passed to the right wing and then exploited the doziness of Bruno N'Gotty when Mario Stanic returned the compliment to turn and shoot low into the corner.

The second Chelsea goal, too, had few frills - a thumping drive from Mikael Forssell - which contrasted with the anxious fretting at the other end. Kevin Nolan got his just desserts with the second equaliser, but him apart only Michael Ricketts appeared to have the necessary aplomb. His goal was a poacher's pounce on a ricochet and a lovely dribble round Carlo Cudicini.

"I think he's done enough to warrant a look at by England," Allardyce said. "He's got 14 goals now, and we don't create as many chances as the bigger sides, so his ratio of goals per chances is fantastic. At the moment centre-forwards of his size and stature are not scoring so he's worth a look at."

Imagine a strike force of Ricketts and Gudjohnsen, who Wanderers had to let go to help the club's financial problems, and you understand why Bolton goes to sleep to the sound of sobbing. I feel good? Make that desperately wishing for what might have been.

Goals: Gudjohnsen (52) 0-1; Ricketts (55) 1-1; Forssell (65) 1-2; Nolan (78) 2-2.

Bolton Wanderers (3-5-2): Jaaskelainen 5; Diawara 6, Bergsson 6, N'Gotty 5 (Barness 5, 77); Southall 5, Nolan 7, Frandsen 6 (Gardner 5, 71), Farrelly 6, Charlton 6; Ricketts 6, Pedersen 5 (Bobic 5, 56). Substitutes not used: Johnson, Poole (gk).

Chelsea (4-4-2): Cudicini 6; Melchiot 5, Terry 6, Desailly 6, Le Saux 5; Stanic 5, Morris 6 (Jokanovic 5, 76), Lampard 6, Dalla Bona 6; Zola 7 (Forssell 6, 64), Gudjohnsen 7. Substitutes not used: Ferrer, Keenan, De Goey (gk).

Referee: J Winter (Stockton-on-Tees) 7.

Booking: Chelsea: Stanic.

Attendance: 23,891.

Man of the match: Gudjohnsen.

Copyright 2002 Independent Newspapers UK Limited

Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved.

Guest sicko2ndbest

........................Given...........................

..........Roz.........Taylor...........New CB.........

Dyer........Butt................Emre....................Milner

...................Barton.....................................

..........Owen........................Viduka..................

If he played 3-5-2 this is who he would play with our current playing squad (i know ive put 'new cb' in but couldnt bring myself to put Damage in)

Problems are:

- You need complimentary wing backs , one defensive minded the other attacking minded we have 2 of the latter.

- You are susceptable to attacks from both flanks against a 4-4-2

- You do not create many chances from wide areas.

- It can get congested in the middle of the park

Guest trotter58
Bolton Wanderers (3-5-2): Jaaskelainen 5; Diawara 6, Bergsson 6, N'Gotty 5 (Barness 5, 77); Southall 5, Nolan 7, Frandsen 6 (Gardner 5, 71), Farrelly 6, Charlton 6; Ricketts 6, Pedersen 5 (Bobic 5, 56). Substitutes not used: Johnson, Poole (gk).

There are FOUR defenders (Diawara, Bergsson, N'Gotty, Barness/Southall) FIVE midfield players (Nolan, Frandsen/Gardner, Farrelly, Charlton, Pedersen) and ONE striker (Ricketts) in that team! 4-5-1! Allardyce has NEVER played any other formation at Bolton. Dean Holdsworth played the lone striker role when he first arrived, followed by Michael Ricketts, then Kevin Davies and now Nicolas Anelka.

There are FOUR defenders (Diawara, Bergsson, N'Gotty, Barness/Southall) FIVE midfield players (Nolan, Frandsen/Gardner, Farrelly, Charlton, Pedersen) and ONE striker (Ricketts) in that team! 4-5-1! Allardyce has NEVER played any other formation at Bolton. Dean Holdsworth played the lone striker role when he first arrived, followed by Michael Ricketts, then Kevin Davies and now Nicolas Anelka.

Pederson played upfront.

Guest trotter58
Pederson played upfront.

4-5-1 when defending, 4-3-3 when attacking. Pedersen may well have been 'up front' when we were attacking but he didn't play up alongside Ricketts for the entire game, that's the whole point of the system, otherwise you get outnumbered when you're defending.

But any manager will tell you the pool of top-class players is getting smaller. Football just is not developing the way it used to.

"They used to roll off a production line in Holland. Not any more. Germany is suffering the same as we are in England.

Portugal is the best place for young talent now but we're all like piranhas trying to get in there.

Heh?

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (23)

Robin van Persie (23)

Arjen Robben (23)

Wesley Sneijder (23)

Rafael van der Vaart (24)

John Heitinga (23)

Romeo Castelen (24)

Nigel de Jong (22)

Maarten Stekelenburg (24)

Ryan Babel (20)

Urby Emanuelson (21)

Ibrahim Afellay (21)

Stijn Schaars (23)

Hedwiges Maduro (22)

Ismaïl Aissati (18)

Ron Vlaar (21)

Gianni Zuiverloon (20)

Ryan Donk (21)

Luigi Bruins (20)

Julian Jenner (23)

Nicky Hofs (24)

Demy de Zeeuw (24)

Arnold Kruiswijk (22)

Dwight Tiendalli (21)

Royston Drenthe (20)

All players who have played internationally for Oranje or might realistically soon do.

I think a similar list could be drawn up for England.

Does anybody agree with Allardyce that there is less talented players now than 5, 10 years ago? I´m off the impression there´s more now than ever. Some of the best players in the world are stilll in their early tenties (Messi, Kaka, Ronaldo, Rooney just to name a few). Of course. he´s talking about top class players, but maybe he should develop an eye for talent that can develop into top class players.. Could be why he prefers older, proven players mind..

Edit ~ sorry for being slightly on topic. I´ll remove if required..  ;)

We won't be playing a 3-5-2 if he buys full-backs.

One criticism of Big Sam is that he established us as a top eight Premier League club but that he didn't really know how to integrate the better quality signings we were then able to attract, into his particularly rigid style of play. Can he adapt to managing a big club where expectations are much greater?

That's been nagging at the back of my mind for a while now.

I think Big Sam did an excellent job at Bolton, and I reckon he'll be a good appointment for Newcastle, but I have to say, the football Bolton played at our place last season was the worst I've seen in a long time, constant niggling and physical stuff plus the long ball at every opportunity.

Having said that, you absolutely mugged us for the three points, so it clearly works.

I think he's one of those managers who cuts his cloth accordingly, and we'll see a different approach at Newcastle.