£303,758

Martin Lol

That's how much Newcastle got for their Uefa Cup run.  Hardly worth the effort.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=466020&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

The four English Champions League qualifiers each got £3,646,272 for being in the group stages, while Tottenham earned £2,917,724 for their 10-game run.

Arsenal received the lowest sum due to their fourth-placed Premiership finish in 2006 and their failure to progress beyond the last 16.

However, they still received £10million more than Tottenham.

The inequality highlights the gulf between the Premier League's top four, who consistently qualify for the Champions League, and the rest.

Perhaps the most damning statistic is that Levski Sofia made £3,755,587 from losing all six Champions League group games, around £500,000 less than Sevilla got for winning the UEFA Cup.

Champions League prize money

AC Milan (winners) £26,721,694

Chelsea £23,394,444

Liverpool £21,744,696

Manchester United £21,282,373

Arsenal £13,008,610

UEFA Cup prize money

Sevilla (winners) £4,219,587

Tottenham £2,917,724

Newcastle £303,758

The strange bit about that list is that Chelsea made more than Liverpool, which reached the final.

Is this because they finished higher in the Premiership? That really doesn't make sense. Why should league position factor into Champions League prize money?

Guest gggg

Not in terms of money but in terms of coefficients it's fantastic, if we get in the champions league in the next 2 years we'd be seeded in pot 2 with a great chance of getting to the knockout stage.

Plus the money on the gates, the marketing etc. I think a homegame is worth about a million?

Although the UEFA ones weren't sell outs and the prices were lower, but still, not chump change.

The strange bit about that list is that Chelsea made more than Liverpool, which reached the final.

Is this because they finished higher in the Premiership? That really doesn't make sense. Why should league position factor into Champions League prize money?

I think you get more for a win than for a draw. Chelsea must have won more than Liverpool?

It seems very odd that there is such a large gap in prize money between Spurs and Newcastle when Spurs only progressed one round further ie Quarter finals rather than last 16.

I've got doubts whether that information is right, but if it is, I'd be interested to know the reason why.

Guest WalkervilleMag

Spurs got a Bye for a round also.  Obviously ITV were paying Spurs a heck of alot more money than us

Guest teepee

It seems very odd that there is such a large gap in prize money between Spurs and Newcastle when Spurs only progressed one round further ie Quarter finals rather than last 16.

I've got doubts whether that information is right, but if it is, I'd be interested to know the reason why.

my thoughts - it's bollocks if you ask me.

my thoughts - it's bollocks if you ask me.

It sounds like a load of sh*te.

We were on TV (full length live coverage) every round  -  Spurs were not.

We only played in one less round (in fact in the same number of rounds if you take into account Spurs 'bye').  The "prize money' for one extra round cannot be that different either (?)

It is just "typical" of the Cockney-based (so called NATIONAL) media to 'just' accept this junk (obviously wrong) and to publish it (obviously wrong) without seeming-question.

If the shortfall was about a Cockney club (eg Tottenham 'overhyped' Hotspur) they would have either queried it or just not printed it. For us  -  they just "accept" it at face value, without bothering their silly Cockney grey-cells.

IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE ACTUAL REAL "NATIONAL NEWSPAPERS" IN THIS COUNTRY.  ANYONE THINK WE WILL EVER GET ANY??

pish, my first thoughts too - fucken smart arse spurs fans "we've even earned more than you in europe" na na nah nah

what about the last 10 years pal?  wankers

Yeah, we all know that as we have been in Europe almost every season since we joined the Premier League, we will have earned huge amounts more than Spurs overall  -  but the problem is last season.

How can they have earned (according to the Cockney-based papers) "10 TIMES" (almost exactly) what we earned?

They cannot.

Why was it printed??

Why was it not queried - or, at least, 'commented on'??

pish, my first thoughts too - fucken smart arse spurs fans "we've even earned more than you in europe" na na nah nah

Yeah, we all know that as we have been in Europe almost every season since we joined the Premier League, we will have earned huge amounts more than Spurs overall  -  but the problem is last season.

How can they have earned (according to the Cockney-based papers) "10 TIMES" (almost exactly) what we earned?

They cannot.

Why was it printed??

howay man, 'cause it's spurs don't you know?

surely you've heard that they sign every player cheaper than anyone else could have and pay them less - they only join spurs due to the allure of the seven sisters road and surrounding palatial areas

therefore it stands to reason they'd get 10 times more income than us for playing one more game doesn't it?

They cannot.

Why was it printed??

surely you've heard that they sign every player cheaper than anyone else could have and pay them less - they only join spurs due to the allure of the seven sisters road and surrounding palatial areas

therefore it stands to reason they'd get 10 times more income than us for playing one more game doesn't it?

Used to live near 'Seven Sisters'. I think you and I must have the same definition of 'palatial', in this case!!

How (does anyone know) can we find out the real figures?

Martin Jol spinning an anti-newcastle angle once more. that is prize money, we also got ticket money, sponsorship and tv money, most of our games being on terrestrial unlike spurs who were stuck out on ITV73.

That's how much Newcastle got for their Uefa Cup run.  Hardly worth the effort.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=466020&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

The four English Champions League qualifiers each got £3,646,272 for being in the group stages, while Tottenham earned £2,917,724 for their 10-game run.

Arsenal received the lowest sum due to their fourth-placed Premiership finish in 2006 and their failure to progress beyond the last 16.

However, they still received £10million more than Tottenham.

The inequality highlights the gulf between the Premier League's top four, who consistently qualify for the Champions League, and the rest.

Perhaps the most damning statistic is that Levski Sofia made £3,755,587 from losing all six Champions League group games, around £500,000 less than Sevilla got for winning the UEFA Cup.

Champions League prize money

AC Milan (winners) £26,721,694

Chelsea £23,394,444

Liverpool £21,744,696

Manchester United £21,282,373

Arsenal £13,008,610

UEFA Cup prize money

Sevilla (winners) £4,219,587

Tottenham £2,917,724

Newcastle £303,758

Those figures are bollocks IMO

They cannot.

Why was it printed??

Used to live near 'Seven Sisters'. I think you and I must have the same definition of 'palatial', in this case!!

How (does anyone know) can we find out the real figures?

I have just responded to the 'online comments' section of the Daily Mail, asking them if they queried the "strange" respective Spurs/Newcastle figures?

I am not holding my breath!

Martin Jol spinning an anti-newcastle angle once more. that is prize money, we also got ticket money, sponsorship and tv money, most of our games being on terrestrial unlike spurs who were stuck out on ITV73.

Never made an anti-Newcastle comment, never mentioned Spurs.  Simply copied and pasted the Mail's article.  How you interpret that is your problem.

Incidentally, I did look around the Uefa site to see if I could verify the figures, I couldn't find anything, maybe you can.

Does anyone actually give a shit though about how much money we took in? we all knew it was hardly anything worse talking about. Also yeah Spurs may have got more but the difference is they are stupid enough to spend what they earn on ridiculous fees such as the one for Darren Bent.

Does anyone actually give a s*** though about how much money we took in? we all knew it was hardly anything worse talking about. Also yeah Spurs may have got more but the difference is they are stupid enough to spend what they earn on ridiculous fees such as the one for Darren Bent.

That is not the point.

The point is (largely) about parochial (non-thinking/automatic) Cockney-based journalism - in a NATIONAL newspaper.

(That is my point, anyway).

We know the figures are wrong, why were they published without query?

Guest tomi

The figures are correct (sadly). Check Page 8 and 9 here

In addition to these payments, the quarter-finalists received a sum depending on the value of their national market and whether they qualified for the semi-finals.

Of course it fucking matters how much we earned. If you don't think it does I suggest you get a look-in into what's gone on in European football for the past fuckin' ten years.

Let's hope ManorPark's inquisitiveness brings us some answers. Partisan newspapers is the least of my worries.

Of course it f****** matters how much we earned. If you don't think it does I suggest you get a look-in into what's gone on in European football for the past fuckin' ten years.

Let's hope ManorPark's inquisitiveness brings us some answers.

I'll let you know if I get anything.