Queudrue?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Does seem a bit of a come-down in all honesty, Quedrue and Young.  :undecided:

Nevertheless, if we were forced into making such low-key signings, it really would signal that we've got naff all to blow big on, and they're two Premiership wing-backs - who are both experienced and potentially effective - for cheap money. Certainly not mindblowing but if we've got no more than £5m to spend on full-backs, i'd be happy if these two were the products.

And if Sam can help Quedrue find the form of his Boro days, we'll have an excellent stop-gap on our hands.

Where's the cash Roeder bid for Crouch and Davies with?

We could still be after another left back though, as Sam did say he wanted 2 LB's not so long ago.

And Young would provide decent depth at RB tbh.

Everyone's assuming that in a year's time we'll be in a position to attract much better players. We can't really afford to be working on assumptions like that.

Even if we do finish in the top 6, our pulling power won't improve much at all. I seem to remember when we finished 5th we were attracting similar players to those we are now, and everyone was complaining that we needed CL football to get anyone better. That hasn't changed.

If we fork out, say, £6m for Baines now he might not develop much, in which case we've paid a pretty penny for an 'alright' left back. Alternatively, he might go on to have another good season and his value will go up, while bigger clubs than ourselves take a look at him. We waited to see how Carrick would do and and ended up with Butt, we waited to see how Miguel would do and ended up with Carr. Queudrue would be very much a Shepherd-type signing, going for the cheaper option and turning your nose up at a young up and coming player because he isn't the finished product and would cost a bit.

We could still be after another left back though, as Sam did say he wanted 2 LB's not so long ago.

I think we've got enough depth there already with Geremi and Solano tbh, he's not needed and would just be a waste.

Holding out for both of these statements... He said that he wanted two left-backs, so there's every chance we do have some cash to spend, so we may yet see an <insert name> coming through the door yet, with Quedrue merely providing squad depth.

Plus, if Young comes in - that's exactly what he'd do. Geremi's a good, and much better, option for right-back than Young is.

It's either: lack-of-cash-so-getting-half-decent-players-in-on-cheap...

Or: plenty-of-cash-so-i'll-add squad-depth-then-buy-significant-improvements...

Both technical terms, btw.

I think we've got enough depth there already with Geremi and Solano tbh, he's not needed and would just be a waste.

Think I'd like to have a more natural, defensively sound right-back for some of the more physical away games if I'm honest.

Reckon we'll be getting one of Young or Fanni for just that reason. I'd prefer Fanni tbh, as we know Young is very limited while Fanni might turn out top drawer.

Good post by OML as well, agree entirely.

Given Allardyce's comments about Babayaro playing more games this season, as well as his complaints about having to fill so many holes in the squad, and the fact we have no evidence of these "two new left backs" quotes, I think it's pretty safe to say we'll only be buying one left back and Babayaro will provide the competition. I also don't think we're big enough to buy someone like Queudreu, at the age of 28, as a backup player when he can probably get first team football elsewhere in the Prem. Players generally only agree to that if there's loads of money or medals in it for them.

Everyone's assuming that in a year's time we'll be in a position to attract much better players. We can't really afford to be working on assumptions like that.

Exactly.

Players will look at us and see that we've missed out on Europe this season but have qualified on a regular basis over the past decade, they may take a chance with us if Allardyce can sell them a story that we're going places, however if we fail to qualify for it for 2 years running players will look at the situation differently IMO.

Think I'd like to have a more natural, defensively sound right-back for some of the more physical away games if I'm honest.

Reckon we'll be getting one of Young or Fanni for just that reason. I'd prefer Fanni tbh, as we know Young is very limited while Fanni might turn out top drawer.

Aye, I'd rather sign Fanni too, he may turn out like Chimbonda but if he doesn't work out we can always play Geremi there for the rest of the season.

With Young you know what you're getting, an average Premiership defender.

Aye, I'd rather sign Fanni too, he may turn out like Chimbonda but if he doesn't work out we can always play Geremi there for the rest of the season.

With Young you know what you're getting, an average Premiership defender.

Young's definitely proven though. He's decent cover on the cheap.

If Sam's midset is...

Right-back: "Sign Geremi for the starting role, pick up Young on the cheap for squad depth."

Left-back: "Sign PlayerX for the starting role, pick up Quedrue on the cheap for squad depth."

... i like his thinking.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Aye because Shorey has proven to be a lot better.

Was that sarcastic or serious?

What do you think? Shorey is 26 years old and has as many good seasons in the premiership as Baines but even less experience.

He's played 231 games for Reading! He's been voted their best left-back of all-time. He's been called up to the England squad.

Baines has played 145 games for Wigan. I don't know if you actually watch football apart from MoTD highlights, but Shorey is a far better defender than Baines. Baines has never been selected for the England senior squad.

Guest Moe-Ali

if we sign quedrue, he will be a starter..come on we're not manchester united ffs, we cant have proven epl players on the bench. specially recently signed ones. highly doubt quedrue will be a bench player

Aye because Shorey has proven to be a lot better.

Was that sarcastic or serious?

What do you think? Shorey is 26 years old and has as many good seasons in the premiership as Baines but even less experience.

He's played 231 games for Reading! He's been voted their best left-back of all-time. He's been called up to the England squad.

Baines has played 145 games for Wigan. I don't know if you actually watch football apart from MoTD highlights, but Shorey is a far better defender than Baines. Baines has never been selected for the England senior squad.

Readings best left back of all time, thats me sold!

Konchesky has also been selected for the England squad so with your theory he MUST be better than Baines!

Can people please stop typing Young Fanni in this thread? Its hard enough to concentrate as it is!

Edit: Sorry about this quoting, don't know whats happened! :lol:

Difference between Young and Quedrue for me, is that the latter was an excellent player at Boro. Young for me I have Never rated as anything above average.

Solid enough for backup and better than Carr - tick

But not a great improvement on what we already have, although SHOULD be better defensively than Geremi and Solano, isnt close to being as good going forward.

We have had an excellent summer as it is, ive wanted new full backs here for years and its a part of the pitch that should have been addressed years ago, but if we ended up with Quedrue and a CB that can play at right back I wont be too upset for now.

We need better, but it will improve Babayaro and Carr to actually have competition. Regardless of the mindset/attitude a player might have, being able to come to training everyday/matchday knowing you will get picked regardless will always de-motivate you.

IC Newcastle claim we're interested in a Franck Signorino, 26 yr old French guy who apparently has same agent as Quedrue. Could be a wires crossed case all along re: Quedrue; the papers maybe were aware we'd talked to this agent and just put two and two together.

(Wiki's got nowt on him except an update from a Deportivo de la Coruna fan who suggests he's signing for them in the next few hours :) )