Raul top target for Toon - NotW.

Optimistic Nut

bluelaugh.gif

http://notw.typepad.com/extratime/2007/07/raul-top-target.html#more

BILLIONAIRE Mike Ashley wants to bring a global superstar to Newcastle - with Raul and Deco high on his wanted list. The new Toon owner wants to signal his intent to make Newcastle a worldwide brand by signing one of the biggest names in world football. And both Real Madrid striker Raul and Barcelona midfielder Deco are players he has identified as possible transfer targets.

A Newcastle source revealed: “Now Mike has overall control of Newcastle he wants to make a statement of intent to the rest of the football world.

“He wants to land a worldwide superstar which will show he means business and will make everyone sit up and take notice. “He wants to make Newcastle the best and both Raul and Deco are players he has on his wanted list. “Nothing has happened yet but Newcastle hope to make moves over the next few weeks as both players are facing uncertain futures.” Raul’s future at Real Madrid is hanging in the balance because of the sacking of Fabio Capello and the influence he has on the dressing room.

Portuguese superstar Deco has always insisted he wants to play in England at some stage in his career and could be surplus to requirements if Barca land Frank Lampard.

Don't think we're in a position to sniff our nose up at either tbh.

Aye. We're short on strikers like.

We have Viduka, Owen & Martins who are good enough, two of them have clauses to leave and are vulnerable at the moment.

If both of them leave (one of them pretty much nailed on to be staying now, the other i would be gobsmacked if he buggered off), i might consider Raul.

And i'd take Shola as fourth choice tbf.

Probably bollocks, but we thought that when we were linked with Rooney and Owen, so you just never know.

I've never been a fan of Raul, and a quick glance at his scoring record in the league doesn't make good reading:

06-07 ... 7 goals 35 games

05-06 ... 5 goals 26 games

04-05 ... 9 goals 32 games

And this is for one of the best teams in the league, surrounded by excellent attacking players in a side renowned for its attacking instincts. He did score well a few years back, twice scoring 25 goals in the league, but that was when Real Madrid were brilliant with players like Redondo, Figo, Ronaldo and Zidane. Raul was a good player back then, but he's 30 now and is well past his best. It's true his game is as much about setting people up as it is scoring goals, and he does often turn up in the big games, but his best days are long gone, he'd be coming here for the wrong reasons trying to settle into a league not suited to his game at all. Not to mention we already have 4 strikers and it's the last place we need this kind of investment.

Deco makes more sense, and of the two I'd much rather see him here, but there are major question marks over him. He has all the signs of a player who wouldn't make it in England, but you never can tell for sure. I get the feeling he'd be either brilliant or terrible.

Probably bollocks, but we thought that when we were linked with Rooney and Owen, so you just never know.

I've never been a fan of Raul, and a quick glance at his scoring record in the league doesn't make good reading:

And this is for one of the best teams in the league, surrounded by excellent attacking players in a side renowned for its attacking instincts. He did score well a few years back, twice scoring 25 goals in the league, but that was when Real Madrid were brilliant with players like Redondo, Figo, Ronaldo and Zidane. Raul was a good player back then, but he's 30 now and is well past his best. It's true his game is as much about setting people up as it is scoring goals, and he does often turn up in the big games, but his best days are long gone, he'd be coming here for the wrong reasons trying to settle into a league not suited to his game at all. Not to mention we already have 4 strikers.

Deco makes more sense, and of the two I'd much rather see him here, but there are major question marks over him. He has all the signs of a player who wouldn't make it in England, but you never can tell for sure.

Out of interest, what was Bergkamp's scoring record like in the Premiership in his last few seasons? Was still crucial to how Arsenal played.

Hope it's bullsh*t

Would prefer if we signed someone young with lots of talent thats likely to stay for a while and help us win something......

And yeh we don't need any more strikers with Owen And Oba mabye leaving, a "world class" striker signing would only make

em wanna leave more....

Get a midfielder imo.  8)

And this is for one of the best teams in the league, surrounded by excellent attacking players in a side renowned for its attacking instincts. He did score well a few years back, twice scoring 25 goals in the league, but that was when Real Madrid were brilliant with players like Redondo, Figo, Ronaldo and Zidane. Raul was a good player back then, but he's 30 now and is well past his best. It's true his game is as much about setting people up as it is scoring goals, and he does often turn up in the big games, but his best days are long gone, he'd be coming here for the wrong reasons trying to settle into a league not suited to his game at all. Not to mention we already have 4 strikers.

Deco makes more sense, and of the two I'd much rather see him here, but there are major question marks over him. He has all the signs of a player who wouldn't make it in England, but you never can tell for sure.

Out of interest, what was Bergkamp's scoring record like in the Premiership in his last few seasons? Was still crucial to how Arsenal played.

Well... yeah? But that was at his club. Raul would be moving. You could say he's crucial to the way Madrid play, he probably is in fairness, but to move to Newcastle? He'd hardly have the same impact and role here, would he?

I'm honestly not going to go into this. :lol: Raul come to Newcastle? No.

Struggling to see the motive behind any move like this tbh. I'm hereby dismissing it as NOTW bollocks.  :) 

Signing a good player and raising the club's profile.

Hundreds of players that could do that.

I'm with Midds. :coolsmiley:

Guest 22bnw

I think Deco would be like a better Emre, I don't think he'd stick around though he's not made for England

Struggling to see the motive behind any move like this tbh. I'm hereby dismissing it as NOTW bollocks.  :) 

Signing a good player and raising the club's profile.

Hundreds of players that could do that.

I'm with Midds. :coolsmiley:

Such as? Newcastle signing Raul would make everybody in Europe take notice. It won't happen, but how anybody could turn their nose up at f*cking RAUL, is unbelievable tbh.