Jamie Carragher to quit England.

Newcastle Fan

Guest youcantseeme

Carragher's f****** class. Should have been played a lot more in his favourite position for England imo.

Aye, can't believe people like Brown and King get in ahead of him. Should be first choice cover after Rio and Terry imo.

King is a much better defender than Carragher and scores goals.

Joke?

Ledley King is injury prone, and is in no way better than Carragher. Ledley King can come back when he has done it against the best, like Carragher has.

Guest kingdawson

Carragher's f****** class. Should have been played a lot more in his favourite position for England imo.

Aye, can't believe people like Brown and King get in ahead of him. Should be first choice cover after Rio and Terry imo.

Joke?

Ledley King is injury prone, and is in no way better than Carragher. Ledley King can come back when he has done it against the best, like Carragher has.

Yeh and Carragher can come back when his done it on an international stage against players with actual pace. The fact that he hasent had a decent match for England proves exactly why Mclaren decided to play a half fit King ahead of him at cb. Bye bye and good riddance.

Guest gggg

Yeah he should come back when he's done it against the likes of Croatia, Estonia and Russia. I mean who are Barca, Juve and Chelsea anyway?

The whole "International level" thing is laughable, most International teams would get relegated in the Premiership.

Oh and he probably hasnt had a decent match because he's been played out of position 28 times.

Guest kingdawson

Yeah he should come back when he's done it against the likes of Croatia, Estonia and Russia. I mean who are Barca, Juve and Chelsea anyway?

The whole "International level" thing is laughable, most International teams would get relegated in the Premiership.

If its laughable can you please explain to me why Carragher plays so well at club level yet so shite on the international stage?

Guest kingdawson

Oh and he probably hasnt had a decent match because he's been played out of position 28 times.

His also played centre back for England and done rather rubbish to say the least. Everytime he's up against a striker with pace he goes missing.

I think Carragher has had enough quality games in the Champions League to prove his worth tbh.

I rate Ledley King aswell for what its worth, I just think Carragher is better.

Guest Dr. Pongle

He's better out of positon tho innit?

You've lost me tbh.

Press Ctrl + W and it makes it clearer.

Durham is an idiot but that's what you expect. It his job to go on the wind up to get callers and content for his show.

Carragher taking the bait like that was crazy really. Some of it was funny but I think he'll be feeling a bit embarrassed when he gets up in the morning and it's splashed over the back pages. You can be sure talksport will be milking it as well.

Durham is an idiot but that's what you expect. It his job to go on the wind up to get callers and content for his show.

Carragher taking the bait like that was crazy really. Some of it was funny but I think he'll be feeling a bit embarrassed when he gets up in the morning and it's splashed over the back pages. You can be sure talksport will be milking it as well.

Is it online anywhere to listen to?

Fair play to Carragher I say, felt a bit pissed off and that some unfair comments were said about him and responded. Don't think he went too over the top and explained his reasons.

They were calling him a bottler for not fighting for his place but then talking about times when they were at clubs not getting games and handing in a transfer request because of it. Surely thats exactly the same sort of thing so what right do they have to call him a bottler?

Guest youcantseeme

Joke?

Yeh and Carragher can come back when his done it on an international stage against players with actual pace. The fact that he hasent had a decent match for England proves exactly why Mclaren decided to play a half fit King ahead of him at cb. Bye bye and good riddance.

I know you're a spurs fan, so I'll just laugh the comment off since you don't have much experience about proper quality players. Champions League is a better measure of a player, not international matches against San Marino.

Guest Geordiesned

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/liverpool/article2051287.ece

July 10, 2007

England star in radio rage after critics put boot in

An apoplectic Jamie Carragher phoned a radio station yesterday to defend himself live on air against accusations that he was “a bottler” for considering retiring from international duty.

In an astonishing outburst, Carragher, the Liverpool defender, called talkSPORT’s Drivetime show shortly after 5pm and hit back at Adrian Durham, the programme’s co-presenter, for claiming that he no longer had the stomach to play for England.

Staff at the radio station were so taken aback that at first they thought it was a crank caller and asked Carragher to disclose personal details, including his date of birth, before putting him through to Durham.

“Don’t ever call me a bottler on radio with all those thousands of people listening,” Carragher raged. “I’ve had the stomach to fight for my place for the last eight years. All I can do is play as well as I can for Liverpool. I’ve never really played centre half for England and, to be honest, I’ve never really played that well for England because I’ve played a lot of the time at full back. But at centre half, I don’t think I’ve really played as much as maybe I deserved.”

Carragher had confirmed in an interview with a local newspaper that he was on the verge of announcing his international retirement. The 29-year-old had originally considered leaving the national set-up after the World Cup finals last summer but decided to stay on for the Euro 2008 qualifying matches. Yet, having since fallen below the likes of Ledley King and Jona-than Woodgate in the pecking order, he has concluded that now may be the right time to stop.

He was particularly dismayed that, in the absence of the injured Rio Ferdi-nand, Steve McClaren, the England head coach, overlooked him in favour of King for the Euro 2008 qualifier against Estonia last month.

Carragher has been in constant contact McClaren in recent weeks and has been persuaded to put a decision about his future on hold until the next international friendly, against Germany on August 22, but it appears unlikely that the defender will represent his country again. Asked by Durham why he was not prepared to fight for an England place, Carragher said: “There’s that many people he [McClaren] has played ahead of me. It’s a game of opinions, but when you’re at my age they are all younger than me. They are all going to improve and maybe I won’t at my age.

“I played in the Champions League final. There’s not much more you can do at club football but win it, which we did a couple of years ago. He [McClaren] played Ledley King [against Estonia] who is a top player, but he’s been injured all season, so how would you feel in my situation, what would you do? When John Terry was out, Woodgate played.

“I’m 29, I’ve been doing it for eight years and obviously I haven’t proved it enough, so it’s not going to change now, is it? It’s not like I’ve just got in the squad and I’ve jumped out.”

When asked by Mickey Quinn, the stand-in co-presenter and former Coventry City and Newcastle United striker, if he thought that he would regret retiring, Carragher said: “Time will tell. But for me now it’s time to concentrate on my Liverpool career.”

Nor did Carragher believe that there was much chance of him being picked for the World Cup finals in 2010 in South Africa. “If I’m not getting a game at 29, there’s no chance of me getting a game at 32,” he said. “Every centre half the manager has picked is younger than me.”

Liverpool are confident of completing the signing of Ryan Babel, the highly rated Ajax and Holland winger, in the next few days. While Liverpool have offered just under £7 million for Babel, Ajax are thought to value the 20-year-old at closer to £10 million, but, given the player’s desire to move to Anfield, a speedy resolution to the negotiations is expected.

Rafael BenÍtez, the manager, is also hoping that Yossi Benayoun will sign this week, although West Ham United’s £6 million valuation of the Israel winger could be a stumbling block. Liverpool made an improved third offer of £5 million last week.

Babel has been linked with a move to Arsenal, but after BenÍtez lost out to Chelsea for Florent Malouda, the France winger, he moved to secure the services of the versatile attacker. “I can confirm that Liverpool have made a bid for Ryan,” Winnie Haatrecht, the player’s agent, said yesterday.

Joke?

Aye, it's not like McLaren would make the wrong decision ever, is it?

Joke?

No joke, an honest opinion (probably should take the 'much' out of the statement though TBF). 

King does seem to be injury prone, I agree.  I wasn't taking that into account (do you also think that Carragher is better than Woodgate?) 

In my opinion, Ledley King is a better tackler than Carragher with better positioning and composure (how many times do you see Carragher diving in with last ditch slides compared with King?) and he scores goals.

In fact, I rate King above John Terry in these departments too (except maybe goalscoring) and as a better overall defender.  Popular opinion disagrees with me about this admittedly.

I would suggest that the majority of people who disagree with me would be 'tricked' by the fact that both Carragher and Terry play in defensively-minded teams and, so, have more help in defence whereas King is left exposed more often at Spurs.