Martins or Gudjohnsen?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Kenton Magpie

Long ball upto Viduka who flicks it onto Martins sprinting passed two defenders.

Long ball upto Viduka and Gudjohnsen who get in each others way.

I am not saying this is the only way we will play but if Martins stays I would expect to see him play more away games than home, where we will be looking to hit teams quickly and Martins pace will key.

When was the last time you saw Martins sprint by two defenders last season?

very few if i recall correctly!

Guest Town-Toon

Martins did run passed defenders but not with the ball.  His dribbling is poor.  When he had the ball at feet he could not take anyone on, but given through balls few defenders will catch him

Well unfortunately our most likely first team forward line is bound to be Michael Owen and Viduka as I'm not sure Owen and Martins is a real possibility as Sam loves to have one target man upfront.

Therefore Martins might as well be allowed to move on. Eiidur would be an excellent fit, because he has the presence to play alongside Owen, but he also has enough movement and speed to lpay off of Viduka, therefore he would be comfortable alongside either should one of them be injured or off form. In addition to this Eidur could also play in the same team as both Owen and Viduka as he can operate as an attacking midfielder also. On the whole I would say the addition od Eidur would give us a lot more otions and would make our attack a lot more versatile.

So the reality is that Gudjohnsen would be a more valuable piece for us than Martins in this current team. Ideally though I would love to have Martins stay because I think his potential is out of this world and I beleive he will fulfil it, but for me it has to be either Owen or Martins along with Viduka, Gudjohnsen and Shola. This combination of players would give us the best options. At this moment in time Owen is probably better for us as he is more experienced and has more clout.

I'll tell you what though, Martins at Arsenal will cause years of heartache. Hopefully, we will put together a decent enough team with new exciting players of our own so it doesn't bother us too much.

Surely more people could argue that Gudjohnsen is the better player right now?

Who fits better into Allardyce's favoured tactics and formations?

Gudjohnsen is technically a better player but he doesn't have the ability to change a game like Martins has, he's similar to Viduka in that he has good link up play but he isn't as deadly as Viduka in front of goal, you say he fits into Allardyce's favoured tactics and formations but does he? Chelsea played the same sort of formation but the only place Gudjohnsen could fit in was in midfield, he done a decent job there but his lack of pace meant he wasn't a goal threat as he couldn't get up the pitch quick enough.

That's another thing too, if we were to lose Martins and replace him with Gudjohnsen then we'd possibly have the slowest strikeforce in the Premiership, Viduka, Ameobi and Gudjohnsen have little pace between then and Owen hasn't shown any sort of pace since he's been back from injury, the fact he's tried to bulk up his upper body suggests he's slowed down and is having to change his game.

If we are going to lose Martins lets get someone in who isn't similar to the other 3 who can stretch games with his pace.

Gudjohnsen is technically a better player but he doesn't have the ability to change a game like Martins has, he's similar to Viduka in that he has good link up play but he isn't as deadly as Viduka in front of goal, you say he fits into Allardyce's favoured tactics and formations but does he? Chelsea played the same sort of formation but the only place Gudjohnsen could fit in was in midfield, he done a decent job there but his lack of pace meant he wasn't a goal threat as he couldn't get up the pitch quick enough.

That's another thing too, if we were to lose Martins and replace him with Gudjohnsen then we'd possibly have the slowest strikeforce in the Premiership, Viduka, Ameobi and Gudjohnsen have little pace between then and Owen hasn't shown any sort of pace since he's been back from injury, the fact he's tried to bulk up his upper body suggests he's slowed down and is having to change his game.

If we are going to lose Martins lets get someone in who isn't similar to the other 3 who can stretch games with his pace.

No I didn't. ;)

No I didn't. ;)

Zip it, Dave. :rant:

It looked like you did but I was half asleep. :blush:

Been a while since we've had a player who can create something out of nothing, to that extent (ie the goal vs spurs). He might've been blowing hot and cold under Roeder, but I'm sure we'll see a different Obafemi Martins under Big Sam.

Hope he doesn't leave for a long long time.

Gudjohnsen is more creative, Martins will get you more goals. Depends what we need at the moment.

Martins spent much of last season having to do the work of two strikers, or playing alongside the ineffective Sibierski. We saw the best and the worst of him, but after a year in England and playing in a better team with a couple of actual strikers alongside him (rather than Sibierski, Dyer etc) I think we'll see more from him.

As much as I'm a fan of Gudjohnsen, I'm dying to see what Martins can do in a proper football team. At times he was devastating for Inter Milan.

Gudjohnsen is more creative, Martins will get you more goals. Depends what we need at the moment.

Martins spent much of last season having to do the work of two strikers, or playing alongside the ineffective Sibierski. We saw the best and the worst of him, but after a year in England and playing in a better team with a couple of actual strikers alongside him (rather than Sibierski, Dyer etc) I think we'll see more from him.

As much as I'm a fan of Gudjohnsen, I'm dying to see what Martins can do in a proper football team. At times he was devastating for Inter Milan.

Like always, I completely agree with you

Like always, I completely agree with you

thirdeded

Guest BigAl2

Gudjohnsen is a class act and would be more of an influence to the type of football that we played, ie more vision better first touch.

I don't want to lose Oba but he doesn't have the alround game of Gudjohnsen.

Guest sittingontheball

We won't need Gudjohnsen if we get Deco  bluelaugh.gif

Re the Arsenal link, would they pay Oba more than we do already? It would piss off a lot of their other players.  Would he'd go there for less just for CL?

In the short term Gudjohnsen would be a lot more use to us.

Really hope we keep Oba though because I feel that in a few years he could be absolutely quality. He'll never work that occasional wild first touch out of his game IMO, but with his pace and power you can still be a top player with an occasionally dreadful first touch, as Etoo' for one has proved.

We really do need a Gudjohnsen type player though, someone to get on the ball and pull the strings in the attacking third.

Tough choice.

Incredibly difficult to choose between two exceptional players and I've just about gone for Martins for more logical reasons than any (he's already our player, would Gudjohnsen come?)

Would love to have both and would think they would make a mouthwatering partnership together, that's for sure.