Owen Speaks ... and he wants to stay

KaKa

Guest Invicta_Toon

the idea that a player can sign a 4 year contract and then every pre-season be allowed to have look round and weigh up his options before 'committing' himself to the club, is ridiculous

it's not up to the player to decide he wants to stay, it's up to the club to tell him he's needed. god you all crucified bellamy and dyer for their bigger than the club attitudes, total hypocrites tbh

A post that might stand some faint chance of making sense if the release clause was not in his contract.

Exactly!! Vic, you're absolutely right in what you say up there. However the clause does skew the situation slightly, and certainly Owen's not the one to blame for that.

May I ask you Vic....you say you were excited when the takeover happened, but you say you're now a little bored waiting for something good to happen. Please describe in your own words, what you would consider being a "good thing to happen"? Keep in mind that we're well on the way to having a bigger and better playing squad than last season, hopefully a lot more cash, handled by professionals who will want the best for the club (in order to net the biggest profits as a business), a manager in place who is very good at what he does, and renewed optimism amongst the toon army all round.

Over to you..

It might be nice to sign a decent player for money

It might be nice to have a decent 1st team, rather than a huge squad for a non-European season

It might be nice to be told the truth about Parker

It might be nice to see Allardyce hasn't reverted to type by signing mavericks and freebies

It might be nice to have a football professional running the club

It might be nice to have fans that see when Owen is peddling PR bullshit

It might be nice to play 4-4-2

Hey guys.

I'm new around here, been a lifelong Toon fan.

Great news that Owen wants to stay, hopefully we can persuade Oba to as well, if Oba stays that will be one quality strike force.

Owen, Martins, Viduka - Would be hard pressed to find a better 3 in the league. Ameobi and Carroll will also provide decent back-up.

Guest Invicta_Toon

- Read the rules.

- Don't get wound up by Vic.

is that your cheat sheet?

on a post-it note on your monitor?

I wanted Owen to leave at the start of the summer. Think he'll almost certainly be gone next summer anyway, and I felt that he was a player that wouldn't fit into the way Big Sam might want to play in certain games. Think it's very obvious what his strategy has been all summer and he's only now saying he's happy here because he knows he's stuck here.

However, now that he's here I'll be getting behind him and hoping he does the business for us. He's head and shoulders above all of our other strikers and if he catches form he has the ability to propel us towards the Top 4 this coming season. Also think Allardyce's training methods could prove to be massively helpful and should hopefully keep him fit for the majority of games.

One thing this is going to tell us pretty quickly is how good a mind for tactics Big Sam really has. At Bolton he's always gone with the tried and tested 4-5-1/4-3-3 with two creative winger/forward types either side of a target man. Owen won't fit into this system, so we'll have to adapt a new one. In football you always play to accentuate the strengths of your best players, and as of right now Michael Owen is our best player. I've confidence in Sam, and I'll be looking with great interest to see how we set up for our first games this season.

A big worry for me is that January transfer window, specifically one of the big clubs left in the CL seeing Owen in form for us and thinking he could be the final piece of the jigsaw to bring them success. If they offer enough to activate his clause, there's nothing we can do, and I've little faith in Owen to come out and stick with us to the end of the season in such a case. If we lose him then, we won't be able to replace him properly until the summer really, as teams won't generally let their best players go in January unless they have some sort of clause or financial crisis at the club. Add to that that we'll be losing Martins around January-February and we could see our striking options severely hurt, and our season could fizzle out.

So January is a worry but other than that I see us as having a season to prove to Michael Owen that his future lies here. He'll have a season left on his contract come next summer and if he won't sign a new one then, flog him. If he's proven his fitness by then I'm sure we'll find someone to take him on the cheap. But if we can convince him, through signing quality players and having a top notch management setup, that his future is here then we could tie up one of the world's best natural goalscorers for the foreseeable future, something that may come in handy for the Ashley revolution. Reckon we'll need Top 4 or very close to it though, so it's going to be very tough.

the idea that a player can sign a 4 year contract and then every pre-season be allowed to have look round and weigh up his options before 'committing' himself to the club, is ridiculous

it's not up to the player to decide he wants to stay, it's up to the club to tell him he's needed. god you all crucified bellamy and dyer for their bigger than the club attitudes, total hypocrites tbh

No its not, thats what happens when you put a release clause in a contract. Dyer and Bellamy didnt have release clauses, why are they relevant?

so he's fucked the club royally then, which makes it even worse that he's given leeway by fans to organise his life according to his own self interest

and I'm pretty sure Bellamy had a champions league clause

He did at Blackburn, not here.

As for the rest, whine to the people who negotiated the release clause. And "leeway by fans" relates to no reality except your own latest sad wind-up attempt.

no leeway by fans? have you not read this thread? plenty of people perfectly happy to accept that he waits until pre-season to decide to honour his 4 year contract

The release clause in his contract has nothing to do with fans. And if it gets triggered how can it be Owen dishonouring his contract? It's part of his contract, moron.

Guest Invicta_Toon

No its not, thats what happens when you put a release clause in a contract. Dyer and Bellamy didnt have release clauses, why are they relevant?

so he's fucked the club royally then, which makes it even worse that he's given leeway by fans to organise his life according to his own self interest

As for the rest, whine to the people who negotiated the release clause. And "leeway by fans" relates to no reality except your own latest sad wind-up attempt.

no leeway by fans? have you not read this thread? plenty of people perfectly happy to accept that he waits until pre-season to decide to honour his 4 year contract

The release clause in his contract has nothing to do with fans. And if it gets triggered how can it be Owen dishonouring his contract? It's part of his contract, moron.

fine, well tell these fuckers to stop patting him on the back for speaking at last, as it means fuck all. as you say he could leave on the last fucking day. but what a good bloke anyway eh

Guest graemeh72

Owen is a tart

Only after Man U get Tevez, Chelsea get Pizzaro, Liverpool sign Torres and Arsenal sign Da Silva and get prepared to spend £4m more for Oba.....

... does he then "commit" himself

what a fucking cunt!

so he's f***** the club royally then, which makes it even worse that he's given leeway by fans to organise his life according to his own self interest

fine, well tell these fuckers to stop patting him on the back for speaking at last, as it means f*** all. as you say he could leave on the last f****** day. but what a good bloke anyway eh

oh now i get it,slag him off for commtting to NUFC or  slag him off if he says nowt.

either way,slag him off!

Owen is a tart

Only after Man U get Tevez, Chelsea get Pizzaro, Liverpool sign Torres and Arsenal sign Da Silva and get prepared to spend £4m more for Oba.....

what a f****** c***!

didn't allardyce say a couple of weeks ago (before torres and tevez) that he was 100% sure owen would stop.i notice he's said no such thing about martins.

Owen is a tart

what a f****** c***!

didn't allardyce say a couple of weeks ago (before torres and tevez) that he was 100% sure owen would stop.i notice he's said no such thing about martins.

Graemeh72 is mainly right tho - total bloody silence until he realised he isn't as popular with the big 4 as he thought...................

Guest Gemmill

Owen is a tart

what a f****** c***!

Graemeh72 is mainly right tho - total bloody silence until he realised he isn't as popular with the big 4 as he thought...................

Professional Footballer in "KEEPING OPTIONS OPEN" shocker!

Owen is a tart

what a f****** c***!

it may come as a surprise to some,but every player on our books at the minute,when signing for us,would have went to man utd,liverpool,chelsea or arsenal first given the opportunity.

Guest Gemmill

Owen is a tart

what a f****** c***!

it may come as a surprise to some,but every player on our books at the minute,when signing for us,would have went to man utd,liverpool,chelsea or arsenal first given the opportunity.

Yup.  And I wouldn't blame anyone in our squad for leaving if one of those clubs came knocking.  Geordies included.  It's a short career, and they have to look after number one.  We're the ones left to worry about Newcastle United.

Guest toonchina

Unbelievable.How could some you say Owen's saga is pure speculation?Are some of you trying to say that Owen never wanted to leave?

It was the Times who revealed his get-out clause,and it was the Times with whom Owen has special relations and where Owen writes his column.Merely a coincidence?

And when FFS had a go at Owen,it's safe to say that he must have known something that we don't.

In addition,after Big Sam had a talk with Owen,if Owen didn't want to leave at all,Big Sam would have come out and made clear of it to bring an end to the "rumours".Instead Sam said if Owen wants to go,he can do nothing about it!

The simplest reasoning would tell us that Owen wanted to leave.And now he commits his future to Newcastle simply because no one wants him.Yeah,you can also say that he's impressed with Sam's training method or something like that.But if ManU had bid for him,do you think you can read what you read in today's Times?

Unbelievable.How could some you say Owen's saga is pure speculation?Are some of you trying to say that Owen never wanted to leave?

It was the Times who revealed his get-out clause,and it was the Times with whom Owen has special relations and where Owen writes his column.Merely a coincidence?

And when FFS had a go at Owen,it's safe to say that he must have known something that we don't.

In addition,after Big Sam had a talk with Owen,if Owen didn't want to leave at all,Big Sam would have come out and made clear of it to bring an end to the "rumours".Instead Sam said if Owen wants to go,he can do nothing about it!

The simplest reasoning would tell us that Owen wanted to leave.And now he commits his future to Newcastle simply because no one wants him.Yeah,you can also say that he's impressed with Sam's training method or something like that.But if ManU had bid for him,do you think you can read what you read in today's Times?

there was lots of local talk about the clause long before any paper got it,i'm not even sure the timeswere the first to print it.

and as i said earlier,allardyce did come out a few weeks ago and said he was 100% sure owen would stay

At the end of the day, paper talk is paper talk. There is nobody that can point me in the direction of a quote from Owen saying he's not commited to the club and he wants to leave. There are however quotes today saying he wants to stay.

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned (I haven't read all 11 pages of this thread) but I find it funny that he doesn't even mention Luque, when talking about Allardyce's striking options:

"With Mark, Obafemi Martins and Shola Ameobi, I am sure that the manager is excited about his attacking options and he has been working hard to strengthen the rest of the team..."

By the time he wrote this, it was already clear that Luque was staying on. Perhaps it says something about the amount of regard Owen (or the other players) have for him.

Guest toonchina

No,lad.Before May,the talk about the clause had always been about 12M.But on May 8,the Times for the first time told us it's less than 10M.

As to what Sam said,I can give you a timeline.

On May 23,Sam met Owen.

On June 7,Sam said when he met Owen and Dyer,"They weren't really going to express an opinion at that stage".

On June 10,Sam admitted he would have nothing to do if Owen wants to leave.

On June 30,Sam said it is "100% yes" that Owen will stay.But at that time,even the fans could see that Owen is probably going to stay because the top 4 had shown they have other targets.

Guest toonchina

At the end of the day, paper talk is paper talk. There is nobody that can point me in the direction of a quote from Owen saying he's not commited to the club and he wants to leave. There are however quotes today saying he wants to stay.

Unbelievable.....

Can you imagine a player as self-esteemed as Owen would come out to say he wants to leave when there is no sign that anybody would bid for him?!

If he did do that,and then only to find that nobody wants to pay 9M for him,he would be in big big embarrassment.right?

Guest zerocipher

It might be nice to sign a decent player for money

So the Czech and Aussie internationals aren't decent players?

It might be nice to have a decent 1st team, rather than a huge squad for a non-European season

What, and have the academy out there if we get destroyed by injuries again?

It might be nice to be told the truth about Parker

That he was a shite bastard and wanted gone?

It might be nice to see Allardyce hasn't reverted to type by signing mavericks and freebies

And if we finish t6 this coming season, are you going to still be bitching he spent money wisely rather than on your FM or ProEvo scouted big names?

It might be nice to have a football professional running the club

It's a business. Business profressionals are running it. What, would you rather we be like Leeds?

It might be nice to have fans that see when Owen is peddling PR bullshit

Agreed that hes full of shite.

It might be nice to play 4-4-2

We havent even had a preseason game yet. WTF do you know about the formation and what its gonna be.

No,lad.Before May,the talk about the clause had always been about 12M.But on May 8,the Times for the first time told us it's less than 10M.

As to what Sam said,I can give you a timeline.

On May 23,Sam met Owen.

On June 7,Sam said when he met Owen and Dyer,"They weren't really going to express an opinion at that stage".

On June 10,Sam admitted he would have nothing to do if Owen wants to leave.

On June 30,Sam said it is "100% yes" that Owen will stay.But at that time,even the fans could see that Owen is probably going to stay because the top 4 had shown they have other targets.

i'm sure the print version quoted allardyce as saying owen gave him assurances "weeks ago" which would place it before torres and tevez,possibly at the may 23rd meet.

obviously he is going to stay if the top 4 don't show any intrest,that goes for ENTIRE squad.