Owen Speaks ... and he wants to stay

KaKa

Guest toonchina

No,lad.Before May,the talk about the clause had always been about 12M.But on May 8,the Times for the first time told us it's less than 10M.

As to what Sam said,I can give you a timeline.

On May 23,Sam met Owen.

On June 7,Sam said when he met Owen and Dyer,"They weren't really going to express an opinion at that stage".

On June 10,Sam admitted he would have nothing to do if Owen wants to leave.

On June 30,Sam said it is "100% yes" that Owen will stay.But at that time,even the fans could see that Owen is probably going to stay because the top 4 had shown they have other targets.

i'm sure the print version quoted allardyce as saying owen gave him assurances "weeks ago" which would place it before torres and tevez,possibly at the may 23rd meet.

obviously he is going to stay if the top 4 don't show any intrest,that goes for ENTIRE squad.

What you refer to is on June 28,Sam said,"I don't think there is any need to speak to Michael - that was all covered weeks and weeks ago."

You probably read too much into Sam's word.He said he had already talked to Owen.It doesn't mean Owen had assured him.

Guest Verlaine

At the end of the day- would you rather have a world-class proven premiership goalscorer at the club next season, or not?

At the end of the day- would you rather have a world-class proven premiership goalscorer at the club next season, or not?

That's what it comes down to in the end.

Definitely. Whatever his motives are and even if he's just here until January, let's hope he's banging in the goals in for us in the meantime. Getting £9m for him wouldn't have mattered much now that Ashley is here and we'd still have had to replace him with someone (not an easy task when you're talking about Michael Owen, either).

This has to be good news for us, surely? He has to perform though, I suppose, because people will be quick to get on his back otherwise.

Guest Invicta_Toon

and if a club bids on the last day?

Guest Invicta_Toon

It might be nice to sign a decent player for money

So the Czech and Aussie internationals aren't decent players?

rozenal, no idea as is the case with most people. Viduka, shite

It might be nice to have a decent 1st team, rather than a huge squad for a non-European season

What, and have the academy out there if we get destroyed by injuries again?

we can get a 100 squad players, if we don't have a single better first teamer than last year, we won't do shit

It might be nice to be told the truth about Parker

That he was a shite bastard and wanted gone?

was that the official statement? proved my point tbh

It might be nice to see Allardyce hasn't reverted to type by signing mavericks and freebies

And if we finish t6 this coming season, are you going to still be bitching he spent money wisely rather than on your FM or ProEvo scouted big names?

if you had a clue you'd know i'm not some fucking FM playing teenage wanker

It might be nice to have a football professional running the club

It's a business. Business profressionals are running it. What, would you rather we be like Leeds?

I'm a certified professional in 3 sectors of business, I still wouldn't have a scooby in the others I knew nothing about. Stupid point tbh

It might be nice to have fans that see when Owen is peddling PR bullshit

Agreed that hes full of shite.

It might be nice to play 4-4-2

We havent even had a preseason game yet. WTF do you know about the formation and what its gonna be.

stick a poll up and see what the prevailing opinion is

Then it'll be up to him if he leaves, I'm not sure if he will as he values his squeaky clean reputation too much but it's not the ideal situation for the club to be in.

I share your concerns, mate.

Then it'll be up to him if he leaves, I'm not sure if he will as he values his squeaky clean reputation too much but it's not the ideal situation for the club to be in.

If a massive bid comes in, which I'd be astonished at, the club would have to consider it. Can't see it happening like.  :undecided:

If a massive bid comes in, which I'd be astonished at, the club would have to consider it. Can't see it happening like.  :undecided:

The problem is, no one will bid more than £9m because that'll activate the release clause and £9m sadly isn't big enough for me to be satisfied for him to leave.

Guest Invicta_Toon

If a bid triggers the clause mickey can tell the club to go fuck themselves

If a bid triggers the clause mickey can tell the club to go f*** themselves

let's see if it happens then

It might be nice to sign a decent player for money

So the Czech and Aussie internationals aren't decent players?

rozenal, no idea as is the case with most people. Viduka, no idea obviously never seen him play

FYP

If a bid triggers the clause mickey can tell the club to go fuck themselves

Aye, this is true. I'd just like to think he'd have a bit of a concsience and see the season out.

Forget the 'massive bid' bollocks - blame it on my memory. Bit of a spaz atm  :crazy2:

If he's really a troll- in the opinion of a moderator-, then why's he still allowed to post?

There are disagreements on his worth to the forum. I'll leave it at that.

There is no rule against trolling anyway...

In other words the majority of the admin don't want him here but HTT does because his controversy gets more people posting, similar to Martin Jol a year or so ago.

you've got the biggest troll of NUFC forums that ever existed on your forum, and you still average 3 topics a week, kind of blows that theory eh?

now now Vicky, just because you thought I wasn't looking  ;D

Guest Verlaine

The problem is, no one will bid more than £9m because that'll activate the release clause and £9m sadly isn't big enough for me to be satisfied for him to leave.

The release clause is only if a Champions League club comes in for him. For any other club, £9 million would be a minimum figure. So there's a faint chance that he might go for more to someone or other.

Guest Knightrider

Owen can't win.  People have been harping on all summer for him to make a statement along these lines, and now that he has you've got people going "Yeah, WHATEVER Michael.  You're only saying that cos no one else wants you."  Honestly, some of our fans are the biggest wankers going.  This precious attitude we have where we think every player that plays for us has to absolutely fall in love with the club the same way we as fans have.  Just be happy to have a player of his calibre here tbh.

Who exactly has been showing this precious attitude you speak of Gemmill? I think you're overreacting there on this one mate. I doubt many give a shite on that front tbh, I know I don't. That attitude does exist within our club, I agree, and it's stupid. But it's a minority and where Owen is concerned I think the single biggest issue among fans is over his commitment or rather a lack of it, and with fucking good reason too given us mugs are the ones who've funded this whole sorry transfer and therefore have every right to question Owen and to voice concerns, which is mainly what people have done, contrary to your imagination.

You may well argue he has a right to keep his options open, especially as he has a clause in his contract and we aren't exactly top 4 material, but by the same token fans have every right to expect a player who has hardly figured for us, who cost the club a record fee and is the highest earner, to be a little more committed to a club who he owes at least one full season to before pissing off, or failing that, some kind of of honesty about the whole situation, no?

Since the season ended he has allowed the speculation over his future to build and build, time and time again refusing to comment on it all, one way or another. Meanwhile the very people who pay his wages are left in limbo, made worse by the uncertainty surrounding the club regarding it's entire future which is now thankfully all resolved. As a result of his sly ways, we've had to search the transfer market for a new striker, in case he left, which has taken up both time and resources that could have been better spent on other areas of the team that are far more vital to our chances of having a better season. Furthermore fans have had to endure constant speculation which at this time of year, is like a hole in the head.

You may also argue that he owes us nothing and that it's his right to keep his options open and that he'd be daft to not want to play for a top-four club and yes, that is most agreeable, but I don't give a damn about Owen you see so don't expect me to, all I care about is Newcastle United like all he cares about is himself, so you carry on defending him over pretty much the same thing you're criticising others for doing.

In the meantime I'll just have to accept we have a slimy bastard of a player on our books who while on the surface is all smiley faces and paying lip service to the idiots who value his false as fook quotes as a declaration of commitment, doesn't want to be at the club one iota, and not get too angry when this whole charade rears its ugly head in January and if not then, May of next year because if we are not going in the direction Owen WANTS (me, myself and I) to be going in, you can guarantee he'll be wanting out, again.

Only this time he'll be up for grabs for £6m and we'll have to then go out and replace him - most probably at double or treble that value.

So sorry if I'm not exactly enamoured with his decision to stay for the time being, or in full agreement with your opinions and others like it that poor lickle Mikey is only human.

I was honestly hoping he'd leave - £9m for a limited player with his best years behind him, at his age, with his record of injuries, would be canny money (if it wasn't for his ridiculous price, subsequent wages and paltry return of appearances, that is).

Who the fuck does he think he is anyway, you'd think he was too good for us or something. Sorry Michael, but you're not that good. Shearer? Now he was good. Beardsley? The same. Rob Lee? Ditto. Sir Les? Again. We did YOU a favour rescuing you from your Spanish hell (he hated it there, his wife, kids and self never settled in Spain, his own words), when no fucker else wanted you, not even your beloved Liverpool.

Even now today, you're lucky. You're at a great club that gets crowds of 50,000 plus who will worship you like no other set of fans have (something I know you're very sensitive about), a club going places with a top manager in charge, a billionaire owner and a decent team in the making. In fact, we are too good for YOU. We certainly don't need you. I mean it isn't as if you're another Shearer. You pose more problems than answers. Your play is limited, you are not exactly an ideal player to any kind of partner, you've never scored over 20 league goals in a season in your entire career and your game is on the wane, having lost your pace and god knows what else since your last injury (manners for one).

It shouldn't be Newcastle on trial, it should be YOU. We have nothing to prove, you do. Now go out and bang in the goals and prove you're not a total waste of space and repay back a little bit of that massive transfer fee, huge wages and fan patience, you owe us. In short, lets see what you're made of then, hotshot.

Owen can't win.  People have been harping on all summer for him to make a statement along these lines, and now that he has you've got people going "Yeah, WHATEVER Michael.  You're only saying that cos no one else wants you."  Honestly, some of our fans are the biggest wankers going.  This precious attitude we have where we think every player that plays for us has to absolutely fall in love with the club the same way we as fans have.  Just be happy to have a player of his calibre here tbh.

Who exactly has been showing this precious attitude you speak of Gemmill? I think you're overreacting there on this one mate. I doubt many give a s**** on that front tbh, I know I don't. That attitude does exist within our club, I agree, and it's stupid. But it's a minority and where Owen is concerned I think the single biggest issue among fans is over his commitment or rather a lack of it, and with f****** good reason too given us mugs are the ones who've funded this whole sorry transfer and therefore have every right to question Owen and to voice concerns, which is mainly what people have done, contrary to your imagination.

You may well argue he has a right to keep his options open, especially as he has a clause in his contract and we aren't exactly top 4 material, but by the same token fans have every right to expect a player who has hardly figured for us, who cost the club a record fee and is the highest earner, to be a little more committed to a club who he owes at least one full season to before pissing off, or failing that, some kind of of honesty about the whole situation, no?

Since the season ended he has allowed the speculation over his future to build and build, time and time again refusing to comment on it all, one way or another. Meanwhile the very people who pay his wages are left in limbo, made worse by the uncertainty surrounding the club regarding it's entire future which is now thankfully all resolved. As a result of his sly ways, we've had to search the transfer market for a new striker, in case he left, which has taken up both time and resources that could have been better spent on other areas of the team that are far more vital to our chances of having a better season. Furthermore fans have had to endure constant speculation which at this time of year, is like a hole in the head.

You may also argue that he owes us nothing and that it's his right to keep his options open and that he'd be daft to not want to play for a top-four club and yes, that is most agreeable, but I don't give a damn about Owen you see so don't expect me to, all I care about is Newcastle United like all he cares about is himself, so you carry on defending him over pretty much the same thing you're criticising others for doing.

In the meantime I'll just have to accept we have a slimy b****** of a player on our books who while on the surface is all smiley faces and paying lip service to the idiots who value his false as fook quotes as a declaration of commitment, doesn't want to be at the club one iota, and not get too angry when this whole charade rears its ugly head in January and if not then, May of next year because if we are not going in the direction Owen WANTS (me, myself and I) to be going in, you can guarantee he'll be wanting out, again.

Only this time he'll be up for grabs for £6m and we'll have to then go out and replace him - most probably at double or treble that value.

So sorry if I'm not exactly enamoured with his decision to stay for the time being, or in full agreement with your opinions and others like it that poor lickle Mikey is only human.

I was honestly hoping he'd leave - £9m for a limited player with his best years behind him, at his age, with his record of injuries, would be canny money (if it wasn't for his ridiculous price, subsequent wages and paltry return of appearances, that is).

Who the f*** does he think he is anyway, you'd think he was too good for us or something. Sorry Michael, but you're not that good. Shearer? Now he was good. Beardsley? The same. Rob Lee? Ditto. Sir Les? Again. We did YOU a favour rescuing you from your Spanish hell (he hated it there, his wife, kids and self never settled in Spain, his own words), when no fucker else wanted you, not even your beloved Liverpool.

Even now today, you're lucky. You're at a great club that gets crowds of 50,000 plus who will worship you like no other set of fans have (something I know you're very sensitive about), a club going places with a top manager in charge, a billionaire owner and a decent team in the making. In fact, we are too good for YOU. We certainly don't need you. I mean it isn't as if you're another Shearer. You pose more problems than answers. Your play is limited, you are not exactly an ideal player to any kind of partner, you've never scored over 20 league goals in a season in your entire career and your game is on the wane, having lost your pace and god knows what else since your last injury (manners for one).

It shouldn't be Newcastle on trial, it should be YOU. We have nothing to prove, you do. Now go out and bang in the goals and prove you're not a total waste of space and repay back a little bit of that massive transfer fee, huge wages and fan patience, you owe us. In short, lets see what you're made of then, hotshot.

Quality post.

Guest Verlaine

Who exactly has been showing this precious attitude you speak of Gemmill? I think you're overreacting there on this one mate. I doubt many give a s**** on that front tbh, I know I don't. That attitude does exist within our club, I agree, and it's stupid. But it's a minority and where Owen is concerned I think the single biggest issue among fans is over his commitment or rather a lack of it, and with f****** good reason too given us mugs are the ones who've funded this whole sorry transfer and therefore have every right to question Owen and to voice concerns, which is mainly what people have done, contrary to your imagination.

In the meantime I'll just have to accept we have a slimy b****** of a player on our books who while on the surface is all smiley faces and paying lip service to the idiots who value his false as fook quotes as a declaration of commitment, doesn't want to be at the club one iota, and not get too angry when this whole charade rears its ugly head in January and if not then, May of next year because if we are not going in the direction Owen WANTS (me, myself and I) to be going in, you can guarantee he'll be wanting out, again.

Who the f*** does he think he is anyway, you'd think he was too good for us or something. Sorry Michael, but you're not that good. Shearer? Now he was good. Beardsley? The same. Rob Lee? Ditto. Sir Les? Again. We did YOU a favour rescuing you from your Spanish hell (he hated it there, his wife, kids and self never settled in Spain, his own words), when no fucker else wanted you, not even your beloved Liverpool.

Quality post.

Liar, you didn't read all that. ;)

Who exactly has been showing this precious attitude you speak of Gemmill? I think you're overreacting there on this one mate. I doubt many give a shite on that front tbh, I know I don't. That attitude does exist within our club, I agree, and it's stupid. But it's a minority and where Owen is concerned I think the single biggest issue among fans is over his commitment or rather a lack of it, and with fucking good reason too given us mugs are the ones who've funded this whole sorry transfer and therefore have every right to question Owen and to voice concerns, which is mainly what people have done, contrary to your imagination.

In the meantime I'll just have to accept we have a slimy bastard of a player on our books who while on the surface is all smiley faces and paying lip service to the idiots who value his false as fook quotes as a declaration of commitment, doesn't want to be at the club one iota, and not get too angry when this whole charade rears its ugly head in January and if not then, May of next year because if we are not going in the direction Owen WANTS (me, myself and I) to be going in, you can guarantee he'll be wanting out, again.

Who the fuck does he think he is anyway, you'd think he was too good for us or something. Sorry Michael, but you're not that good. Shearer? Now he was good. Beardsley? The same. Rob Lee? Ditto. Sir Les? Again. We did YOU a favour rescuing you from your Spanish hell (he hated it there, his wife, kids and self never settled in Spain, his own words), when no fucker else wanted you, not even your beloved Liverpool.

spoken through a few pints or with real feeling, and I agree with it completely.

I would love him to stay and be a real legend, but he hasn't played for Newcastle so he hasn't became a "Newcastle player". You can say his lack of comment is indicative of him being a good professional and there is a point in that, but these are exceptional circumstances. He owes us. He ought to feel he has to repay us. He should therefore say so, and prove it by extending his contract, because right now he is looking like a player who knows he is out of contract in 2 years time and has every intention of leaving, and that is not even taking into account that he could well be injured AGAIN.

If he won't extend, then we should be looking to offload him for as much as we can, while we can.

Let's see what he's like after his injury before we start talking about extensions man! For all we know, he might be the next Robbie Fowler. Finished at 27-28 because of crippling injuries. On the other hand, he might bounce back like Shearer and play at a good-ish level until his mid 30s.

What sell him for £8m and he doesnt play that much and he is worth £10m a season later?

They would have bid £10m if they thought he was worth it. They bid £8m as that was the max they were willing to go to. Without us i reckon they could have got him for less than what they sold him for.