Aldo Duscher arrives on trial - and promptly leaves?

Nicky

Guest Invicta_Toon

Duscher would be a very sensible option if we're skint,

We are operating like we are skint at the moment and I for one rather like it.  SA is showing previous managers up, so far.

Like someone mentioned earlier we wont be spending any money until Darth Mort has gone through the books.

We also moaned we had no really leaders & battlers on the pitch last season, especially in away games.

If he is free, looks good in a trail.  Then get him.  Two year contract and an option on a third if he puts the work in.

Mort has already publicly quoted that there is plenty money for Fat Sam to use if he wants

On a trial and a possible free transfer. The most we can possibly lose in this deal is...nowt.

what is there to be possibly worried about?

As I said on the last page, I don't think it's that simple. If we sign Duscher it means we're not getting someone else. And if it turns out Duscher isn't good enough, we send him back to Deportivo, probably for two or more years on decent wages (plus signing on fee), and if an opportunity comes up to sign a better player we could have a problem peddling him. In short, we don't want to end up with dead wood.

I don't know how Duscher will turn out, but these are my reservations. We have experience in Butt, and experienced cover available in Geremi. This is one position where I think a youthful understudy may be a better answer. Just my thoughts, I'm not against this signing but I feel we're possibly missing out on a lot of better options.

FYP. Do people not understand the concept of trials?

He's not at Deportivo, he's a free agent. When I said "if he isn't good enough" I was refering to his Premiership performances, not a one week trial, I thought that was pretty obvious.

It was.

:rolleyes:

Yes, OML, but if he isn't good enough - then he won't get any of these Premiership performances!

Except you can't tell how he's going to perform in the Premiership from a weeks trial at Pre season training.

You were just trying to be a smartarse by pulling someone up on something, Yorkie.

No offense, but i'm not going to that seriously coming from you.

Not to mention it being total bollocks anyway.

If Sam has no idea how he is going to perform in the Premiership, judging by this trial, then why the hell is he bothering? He's hardly trialling him to see how well he performs in the bleep test.

Nowt wrong with this move.

Just because he looks good in training sessions doesn't mean he'll be able to handle the pace and the physical side of the Premiership, unless you think the players will be jumping into tackles against each other and playing at a fast tempo?

Out of interest Yorkie, have you seen him play?

Only in the Champions League, but it's hardly relevant to our argument. If Sam sees something in him, he'll keep him on - most likely on a short contract. If he doesn't, he won't. That's what a trial is all about, i'm sure he'll be a decent judge on things. No need for people to get annoyed with this move, at this stage.

Who did you have in mind, then?

Well I'm not a scout with access to games all over Europe and what-not, nor do I know who may or may not be available. I gave Lassana Diarra as an example earlier, someone who I reckon has the ability to become better than Butt and can also compete for other positions such as RB, someone who seems on the up rather than someone who seems on the down, someone who will grow with our team. We already have experienced cover in Geremi. Experience isn't the be all and end all, sometimes it can be very good to have youth in your side.

I'm also not convinced Butt is that good. Once highly rated player, now he's steady, decent perhaps, and a good squad player. Duscher seems very much in the same boat.

Vic will no doubt find something wrong.

that just wouldn't do would it? someone having a different opinion

get over your f****** self

You always seem to have a different opinion, though, Vic. Coincidence? Or contrariness?

coincidence in the fact I'm not such an ego fag that if I see a post I agree with I feel the need to post a smiley or an agreeing one liner. I gather that goes down well among your sort on Toontastic though, fluffers rather than figthters tbh

Mary, Mary, you yet again failed to really answer the question properly, resorting instead to churlish insults. You're going to be in trouble when you get into the real world.

how did I not answer the question emoboy?

I think vic your concern that were not splashing big money atm, is exactly whats been wrong with this club in the past!

If it means we win nowt this season, but establish a firm base that we've been missing, then i'll be more than happy!

If Ashley decides that he wants a big money signing then so be it! But I think we should all be thankful that Sam is addressing everything that has plagued this club over the years!

So be happy about it

Mort has already publicly quoted that there is plenty money for Fat Sam to use if he wants

Yes he did.

I'm still enjoying this low key/sensible approach.

Honestly man, this is a massivley refreshing change to the last 3 seasons, SA shows a sensoble approach to things and people bemoan it.i

Guest Invicta_Toon

You always seem to have a different opinion, though, Vic. Coincidence? Or contrariness?

coincidence in the fact I'm not such an ego fag that if I see a post I agree with I feel the need to post a smiley or an agreeing one liner. I gather that goes down well among your sort on Toontastic though, fluffers rather than figthters tbh

Mary, Mary, you yet again failed to really answer the question properly, resorting instead to churlish insults. You're going to be in trouble when you get into the real world.

I think vic your concern that were not splashing big money atm, is exactly whats been wrong with this club in the past!

If it means we win nowt this season, but establish a firm base that we've been missing, then i'll be more than happy!

If Ashley decides that he wants a big money signing then so be it! But I think we should all be thankful that Sam is addressing everything that has plagued this club over the years!

So be happy about it

"If Ashley decides that he wants a big money signing then so be it!"

I think you've misunderstood. Ashley has said to Fat Sam, there is money available, yet Fat Sam can't break out of his mould

not enough free trialists is not a problem NUFC has had that needs addressing

Just because we've mis-spent money in the past it's no reason to be chasing bosmans. That seems like very linear logic.

What must change isn't the amount of money being spent, but the scouting and coaching. We could and should have spent most of that money a lot better, and hopefully we'll do that in years to come.

So be happy about it

"If Ashley decides that he wants a big money signing then so be it!"

I think you've misunderstood. Ashley has said to Fat Sam, there is money available, yet Fat Sam can't break out of his mould

not enough free trialists is not a problem NUFC has had that needs addressing

I know what you mean, but we don't know all the facts do we?

Lets face it, if he moulds this side into a winning one with free transfers, then would you really be bothered?

On a trial and a possible free transfer. The most we can possibly lose in this deal is...nowt.

As I said on the last page, I don't think it's that simple. If we sign Duscher it means we're not getting someone else. And if it turns out Duscher isn't good enough, we send him back to Deportivo, probably for two or more years on decent wages (plus signing on fee), and if an opportunity comes up to sign a better player we could have a problem peddling him. In short, we don't want to end up with dead wood.

I don't know how Duscher will turn out, but these are my reservations. We have experience in Butt, and experienced cover available in Geremi. This is one position where I think a youthful understudy may be a better answer. Just my thoughts, I'm not against this signing but I feel we're possibly missing out on a lot of better options.

He's not at Deportivo, he's a free agent. When I said "if he isn't good enough" I was refering to his Premiership performances, not a one week trial, I thought that was pretty obvious.

It was.

Yes, OML, but if he isn't good enough - then he won't get any of these Premiership performances!

Except you can't tell how he's going to perform in the Premiership from a weeks trial at Pre season training.

You were just trying to be a smartarse by pulling someone up on something, Yorkie.

If Sam has no idea how he is going to perform in the Premiership, judging by this trial, then why the hell is he bothering? He's hardly trialling him to see how well he performs in the bleep test.

Just because he looks good in training sessions doesn't mean he'll be able to handle the pace and the physical side of the Premiership, unless you think the players will be jumping into tackles against each other and playing at a fast tempo?

Only in the Champions League, but it's hardly relevant to our argument. If Sam sees something in him, he'll keep him on - most likely on a short contract. If he doesn't, he won't. That's what a trial is all about, i'm sure he'll be a decent judge on things. No need for people to get annoyed with this move, at this stage.

Well I've seen him and Edmilson play and the Brazilian is a far better holding man than Duscher will ever be.

Btw before you moan about how many games Edmilson's missed you might want to have a look at Duscher's record.

I think you've misunderstood. Ashley has said to Fat Sam, there is money available

The money we have may have already been budgeted for new defenders and SA got offered Aldo, so we are having a look at a DM, so what.  He could turn out to be decent for us.  If he cant show what he is about in a trial then we peddle him.  We are in a win win situation.

Just because we've mis-spent money in the past it's no reason to be chasing bosmans. That seems like very linear logic.

Don't think we are anyway (i know that's not what you're saying).

We were in need of another striker, preferably a target man seeing as Owen and Martins are neither. There was a quality option available on a free, so we got Viduka for nowt.

We needed another right-sided player, cover for Milner and/or another option for right-back because Nobby won't last there all season long. There was a quality player available on a free so we got Geremi for nowt.

The fact that those two signings were bosmans are irrelevant - because they're quality players anyway. It's not Sam's transfer policy, it'd just be stupid to miss out.

Sam now wants to focus whatever budget he has on the defense, so now it is his policy to look at bosmans in the midfield. We need another body for defensive-mid so he's looking around some freebies, so he doesn't have to waste the money reserved for his back four. That's all it is. It isn't a policy, so to speak.

If the cash is there to spend on a better player than Duscher, then it should be spent.

Under normal circumstances, getting a decent player in for free would constitute a good bit of business from the manager. Times, however, have changed and we appear to have a bit of cash to spend and the budget is now apparently in place to get a better standard of player. I'm not against the move because it's very very low risk and there's not much to lose from the club's point of view.....but I wouldn't mind seeing Allardyce going for a top name to do the same job.  :)

It was.

Well I've seen him and Edmilson play and the Brazilian is a far better holding man than Duscher will ever be.

Btw before you moan about how many games Edmilson's missed you might want to have a look at Duscher's record.

Good job he's only on trial then.

PS - the difference between these to players is that where Dushcer's on a free, we'd have to pay a fee for Edmilson. And where Duscher's wages won't pose a problem, Edmilson's will be significant. And where Duscher is actually fit - Edmilson will be injured for the first four/five months of the season.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I think you've misunderstood. Ashley has said to Fat Sam, there is money available

The money we have may have already been budgeted for new defenders and SA got offered Aldo, so we are having a look at a DM, so what.  He could turn out to be decent for us.  If he cant show what he is about in a trial then we peddle him.  We are in a win win situation.

there is no budget, sam id's players and mort says yes no on the finances

and anyway, if there was, why is he wasting his time and not going for these budgeted for defenders then? you make douchebag sound like an optional extra, which you would leave till you see how much is left over

Guest Verlaine

and anyway, if there was, why is he wasting his time and not going for these budgeted for defenders then? you make douchebag sound like an optional extra, which you would leave till you see how much is left over

So naive. :lol:

Guest Invicta_Toon

So naive. :lol:

yawn

Guest Verlaine

Out of interest, wouldn't it make a little bit more sense to judge Sam's summer dealings once the window has closed? Just saying.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Out of interest, wouldn't it make a little bit more sense to judge Sam's summer dealings once the window has closed? Just saying.

would be ironic if fans were to judge Barton at the same time a Judge is judging Barton

It would be intersting to see how people would react to this possible Aldo signing if SA was still working for Freddy Shepherd, and no Mike Ashley millions to spend.

Its funny what money does to people.

If the cash is there to spend on a better player than Duscher, then it should be spent.

Under normal circumstances, getting a decent player in for free would constitute a good bit of business from the manager. Times, however, have changed and we appear to have a bit of cash to spend and the budget is now apparently in place to get a better standard of player. I'm not against the move because it's very very low risk and there's not much to lose from the club's point of view.....but I wouldn't mind seeing Allardyce going for a top name to do the same job.  :)

Sums up my thoughts. Not dead against it, but feel we should be going for the best we can get.

One option is to sign someone better than Butt and leave him as experienced backup like we've done with Solano. That would be a step forward for the team and the squad. It's all well and good building a massive squad but you can only put your best 11 out on the pitch and they're the ones who will or won't get you the points. We need to improve the first team as well as the squad and if the money is there I'd rather splash out and get a quality DM with Butt as backup.

It was.

Good job he's only on trial then.

PS - the difference between these to players is that where Dushcer's on a free, we'd have to pay a fee for Edmilson. And where Duscher's wages won't pose a problem, Edmilson's will be significant. And where Duscher is actually fit - Edmilson will be injured for the first four/five months of the season.

How do you know how much Duscher wants pw?

We don't know how much Edmilson or Duscher want pw in wages, pure press speculation.

Edmilson will cost money but nobody knows how much, some say minimal and others say £3 million, more press speculation.

I'd rather sign the far better player now and wait a few months for him to play for us rather than sign the inferior one so he can be available straight away.

I think all the defensive signings were seeing now is the result of Sam targeting them from his Boltons days where he had to be realistic.

So he's obviously had his eye on them for sometime now, And to be honest I trust his judgement to get it right, but if he doesn't, then what outlay have we had to fork out for? Bugger all!

Let's see what happens up until the Jan window.

Guest Verlaine

would be ironic if fans were to judge Barton at the same time a Judge is judging Barton

As anyone with half a brain would tell you, I was implying more that we should judge his overall signings once the window has closed, rather than going chicken little about 3 very reasonable bosman signings within the first month.

Why spend cash when we could possibley get a decent player for free, see Viduka & Geremi.

I would laugh my gimp mask clean off if this guy turned out to be decent.