Aldo Duscher arrives on trial - and promptly leaves?

Nicky

Why spend cash when we could possibley get a decent player for free, see Viduka & Geremi.

I would laugh my gimp mask clean off if this guy turned out to be decent.

Me too, if he's decent then it's a great move by Allardyce. However Viduka and Geremi were proven Premiership players, people who we knew would walk straight into our first team. Duscher is a different kettle of fish, so obviously more people are asking questions this time around.

This is a low-risk move, but then any cheap/bosman player is. We could get anyone on a free and I'll tell you it's a low-risk move, but it doesn't really mean anything. We're only going to sign one DM this summer, so obviously we're all hoping it's someone who improves the squad and hopefully the first team as well.

On a trial and a possible free transfer. The most we can possibly lose in this deal is...nowt.

what is there to be possibly worried about?

As I said on the last page, I don't think it's that simple. If we sign Duscher it means we're not getting someone else. And if it turns out Duscher isn't good enough, we send him back to Deportivo, probably for two or more years on decent wages (plus signing on fee), and if an opportunity comes up to sign a better player we could have a problem peddling him. In short, we don't want to end up with dead wood.

I don't know how Duscher will turn out, but these are my reservations. We have experience in Butt, and experienced cover available in Geremi. This is one position where I think a youthful understudy may be a better answer. Just my thoughts, I'm not against this signing but I feel we're possibly missing out on a lot of better options.

FYP. Do people not understand the concept of trials?

He's not at Deportivo, he's a free agent. When I said "if he isn't good enough" I was refering to his Premiership performances, not a one week trial, I thought that was pretty obvious.

It was.

:rolleyes:

Yes, OML, but if he isn't good enough - then he won't get any of these Premiership performances!

Except you can't tell how he's going to perform in the Premiership from a weeks trial at Pre season training.

You were just trying to be a smartarse by pulling someone up on something, Yorkie.

No offense, but i'm not going to that seriously coming from you.

Not to mention it being total bollocks anyway.

If Sam has no idea how he is going to perform in the Premiership, judging by this trial, then why the hell is he bothering? He's hardly trialling him to see how well he performs in the bleep test.

Nowt wrong with this move.

Just because he looks good in training sessions doesn't mean he'll be able to handle the pace and the physical side of the Premiership, unless you think the players will be jumping into tackles against each other and playing at a fast tempo?

Out of interest Yorkie, have you seen him play?

Only in the Champions League, but it's hardly relevant to our argument. If Sam sees something in him, he'll keep him on - most likely on a short contract. If he doesn't, he won't. That's what a trial is all about, i'm sure he'll be a decent judge on things. No need for people to get annoyed with this move, at this stage.

Well I've seen him and Edmilson play and the Brazilian is a far better holding man than Duscher will ever be.

Btw before you moan about how many games Edmilson's missed you might want to have a look at Duscher's record.

Good job he's only on trial then.

PS - the difference between these to players is that where Dushcer's on a free, we'd have to pay a fee for Edmilson. And where Duscher's wages won't pose a problem, Edmilson's will be significant. And where Duscher is actually fit - Edmilson will be injured for the first four/five months of the season.

How do you know how much Duscher wants pw?

We don't know how much Edmilson or Duscher want pw in wages, pure press speculation.

Edmilson will cost money but nobody knows how much, some say minimal and others say £3 million, more press speculation.

I'd rather sign the far better player now and wait a few months for him to play for us rather than sign the inferior one so he can be available straight away.

How do YOU know Edmilson will adapt to this league, especially after such a long injury lay off?

Not going into the Edmilson argument again. Looks like we've cooled interest over that one anyway, fortunately might i add.

I'm happy to see Allardyce take Duscher on trial.

Me too. However Viduka and Geremi were proven Premiership players, people who we knew would walk straight into our first team. Duscher is a different kettle of fish, so obviously more people are asking questions this time around

Fair point.  :coolsmiley:

But after all he is only on trial.

Would be far worse if we offered Souness'esq dosh for him.

Guest TampaToon

if it works out, it wouldn't be the first time Sam's pulled a good showing out of a guy most thought was past it

On a trial and a possible free transfer. The most we can possibly lose in this deal is...nowt.

As I said on the last page, I don't think it's that simple. If we sign Duscher it means we're not getting someone else. And if it turns out Duscher isn't good enough, we send him back to Deportivo, probably for two or more years on decent wages (plus signing on fee), and if an opportunity comes up to sign a better player we could have a problem peddling him. In short, we don't want to end up with dead wood.

I don't know how Duscher will turn out, but these are my reservations. We have experience in Butt, and experienced cover available in Geremi. This is one position where I think a youthful understudy may be a better answer. Just my thoughts, I'm not against this signing but I feel we're possibly missing out on a lot of better options.

He's not at Deportivo, he's a free agent. When I said "if he isn't good enough" I was refering to his Premiership performances, not a one week trial, I thought that was pretty obvious.

It was.

Yes, OML, but if he isn't good enough - then he won't get any of these Premiership performances!

Except you can't tell how he's going to perform in the Premiership from a weeks trial at Pre season training.

You were just trying to be a smartarse by pulling someone up on something, Yorkie.

If Sam has no idea how he is going to perform in the Premiership, judging by this trial, then why the hell is he bothering? He's hardly trialling him to see how well he performs in the bleep test.

Just because he looks good in training sessions doesn't mean he'll be able to handle the pace and the physical side of the Premiership, unless you think the players will be jumping into tackles against each other and playing at a fast tempo?

Only in the Champions League, but it's hardly relevant to our argument. If Sam sees something in him, he'll keep him on - most likely on a short contract. If he doesn't, he won't. That's what a trial is all about, i'm sure he'll be a decent judge on things. No need for people to get annoyed with this move, at this stage.

Well I've seen him and Edmilson play and the Brazilian is a far better holding man than Duscher will ever be.

Btw before you moan about how many games Edmilson's missed you might want to have a look at Duscher's record.

PS - the difference between these to players is that where Dushcer's on a free, we'd have to pay a fee for Edmilson. And where Duscher's wages won't pose a problem, Edmilson's will be significant. And where Duscher is actually fit - Edmilson will be injured for the first four/five months of the season.

We don't know how much Edmilson or Duscher want pw in wages, pure press speculation.

Edmilson will cost money but nobody knows how much, some say minimal and others say £3 million, more press speculation.

I'd rather sign the far better player now and wait a few months for him to play for us rather than sign the inferior one so he can be available straight away.

How do YOU know Edmilson will adapt to this league, especially after such a long injury lay off?

Not going into the Edmilson argument again. Looks like we've cooled interest over that one anyway, fortunately might i add.

You don't know if either will adapt, I'd favour the better player and the one who performed to high standards in the French league though as players who've performed there usually do well over here.

Guest Verlaine

It was.

You don't know if either will adapt, I'd favour the better player and the one who performed to high standards in the French league though as players who've performed there usually do well over here.

Here's one for you and OML; if we are signing Edmilson in January, doesn't Duscher on a free now make a lot of sense?

Why is it that if someone expresses the smallest doubt in a signing, people get so defensive. "getting hysterical", "whinging" or "calling him ****" is something totally different to reasoned debate on why this guy might not be the best move for us. Not everything Sam touches turns to gold, it's perfectly reasonable to suggest he's making a mistake or isn't making as good a move as he could without the lynch mob calling you a Big Sam traitor.

The reality is, people are making comments on a player they've never seen play before therefore assuming he's s*** because he's coming on a free transfer.

I've seen him play quite a few times actually, he's like Scott Parker in that he has no technical ability but gets stuck in.

Yeah, free transfers are always s*** and no top club would ever pick up a player on the expiration of his contract.

Feel free to let me know of any top club that has brought in a bosman signing following a trial.

As it happens I think Sam is doing very well. However, I am concerned about why we are continuing to shop in the bargain basement stores. Is this because Sam is struggling to break his mould, are we as a club not an attractive proposition or is there a problem with the kitty?

Guest Verlaine

Yeah, free transfers are always s*** and no top club would ever pick up a player on the expiration of his contract.

Feel free to let me know of any top club that has brought in a bosman signing following a trial.

As it happens I think Sam is doing very well. However, I am concerned about why we are continuing to shop in the bargain basement stores. Is this because Sam is struggling to break his mould, are we as a club not an attractive proposition or is there a problem with the kitty?

I can name quite a few who came in without trials. Surely that's an even greater risk by your logic.

Guest Dr Jeckl

Duscher ok for free,but why not go for someone like Riquelme still a great player but seems to be out of favour at his club. O0

Here's one for you and OML; if we are signing Edmilson in January, doesn't Duscher on a free now make a lot of sense?

Well that's quite a big IF. I don't know what sort of wage bill we're working with, but to end up with Butt, Edmilson and Duscher we'd be a bit overstocked. I'm also not a big fan of Edmilson and I think his wages/sign on fee will effectively make him an expensive signing. I don't know his wages but it's pretty obvious.

Rather than end up with 3 DM's considered past their best by their clubs' fans, all with injury problems and all on big wages, I think it'd be a lot simpler to go out and spend £5m or £10m on someone who walk into the team and have Butt as backup. I'm not an expert on the global transfer market, but I'd think if the money is there we could go and prise a good DM from a club similar or smaller than ourselves.

It was.

Is this directed at me? You've quoted me but OML = Ohmelads?

That would depend on how long his contract is for and what was happening to Butt, if Butt were to stay as well as Duscher coming in then we could well have 3 holding men in the squad later in the season, 4 if you include Rosehal who played the first part of last season there for PSG, if Butt were to leave I wouldn't be happy starting the season with Duscher first choice either.

All valid questions for a fan of this club to be asking.

It's all well and good to assume we're taking Duscher on trial because Sam reckons he's found a bargain but it's just as likely to be one of the reasons above. I hope the fact we're taking a 28 year old trialist is a coincidence, I really do.

Guest Gemmill

ohmelads, you normally know your foreign players.  Is this bloke any good or not?  All I know about him is that he clogged Beckham.

I can name quite a few who came in without trials. Surely that's an even greater risk by your logic.

Sorry, I didn't ask that. My logic was that if a player needed a trial then the manager must have doubts. If he signs without a trial then he must be sure - he may turn out to be rubbish but the manager didn't have initial doubts. I further suggested that a player willing to agree to a trial is one whose stock on the market has fallen fairly low.

I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, the lads only on trial - if Sam doesn't like what he see's, then off he goes. If he does like what he see's, we'll have to accept that he's seen something in him that he likes - and that he thinks he could improve our team/squad.

One last thing, would people be so bothered about this if he was still contracted to Deportivo and there was rumours of Man Utd or WHU or whoever bidding around £5-6m for him.

After all it was only a year or so ago that he was being regarded in the £8m price band.

Guest Gemmill

I'm just pleased we know this bloke's name early doors.  Last time we had a triallist in, Skirge nearly ended up in the divorce courts, having spent all of his waking hours scouring the web for pictures of bald black blokes.

Got to agree with OML that it seems really strange we're looking at this. It seems that there is money to spend, a good young DM with a lot of potential that can compete for the holding midfield role with Butt seems to be as obvious a place as any to spend a bit.

Unless Allardyce has a couple of truly big money targets in mind this all does seem a bit strange.

Dare I suggest that maybe we won't be spending much money at all this summer. Mort has said there is money available, but for all we know that could be £10m, and we'll need to focus it all on defence in that case.

Perhaps the plan is to have Allardyce work on putting together a solid, cheap squad this summer that will do us for the season while Ashley and his people review the club thoroughly from top to bottom before really splashing out next year? I'm inclined to doubt it, but it's a possibility.

Guest Gemmill

Got to agree with OML that it seems really strange we're looking at this. It seems that there is money to spend, a good young DM with a lot of potential that can compete for the holding midfield role with Butt seems to be as obvious a place as any to spend a bit.

Unless Allardyce has a couple of truly big money targets in mind this all does seem a bit strange.

Dare I suggest that maybe we won't be spending much money at all this summer. Mort has said there is money available, but for all we know that could be £10m, and we'll need to focus it all on defence in that case.

Perhaps the plan is to have Allardyce work on putting together a solid, cheap squad this summer that will do us for the season while Ashley and his people review the club thoroughly from top to bottom before really splashing out next year? I'm inclined to doubt it, but it's a possibility.

Begorrah!

ohmelads, you normally know your foreign players.  Is this bloke any good or not?  All I know about him is that he clogged Beckham.

Haven't seen him play in ages so I can't say I remember. He's not a player I ever really noticed, but I don't watch nearly as much Spanish football as I used to.

I'm going more off what the Depor fans are saying, which is that he was once a good player whose career has gone off the rails a bit because he let all the praise get to his head. He was always in the shadow of the excellent Mauro Silva, he was essentially a backup player who didn't complain and so many wish him well at his next club. But he didn't exactly move mountains there.

He seems like a typical Big Sam signing, someone who clearly can play a bit but has lost his way and his stock has fallen significantly. Sam's obviously hoping that a change of scenery and perhaps regular football might bring the best out of him.