Aldo Duscher arrives on trial - and promptly leaves?

Nicky

I'm not against signing this guy, because I have no idea what our budget is. If it does turn out we're skint, then this could be a brilliant piece of business. And even if we're not, he might rediscover his form of a few years back. I'm more concerned that this signing suggests the kitty is a lot smaller than I thought.

On the one hand I'm happy to see us targeting a DM. Butt was never going to be enough to get us through the season, he can have his injury problems and I wouldn't be comfortable pushing Emre or Barton to play as a DM.

I can handle seeing Duscher and Butt as our DMs if we bring in a good LB and CB. We'll know more about how astute this signing is when we see his performances and find out how much money was indeed available.

If we have enough centre backs available Rozehnal could also cover as a DM. On a free transfer its defintely worth the gamble, unless he has a massive injury we could probably sell him on in a year for whatever his wages would have cost us.

As long as Duscher is here on a short-term - i.e. 1 year - contract, there really isn't any harm in bringing him in, if that's what SA wants to do.  If he's good, we can sign him again next year, or go for someone better if he doesn't want to resign; if he's bad, it's only a 1 year investment.  As other have mentioned, we're lacking depth at the moment, and Duscher can only help in that regard.  Even if this materializes and we lose the opportunity to sign a younger/better player, I think we would be able to do equally as well, and probably better, next year, in signing a big name/highly promising youngster.  For me, there's no need to overpay for a borderline good player this year when we could get a better player for a similar price next year, when our "stature" is better.

What we need now is to regroup as a club and focus our energies on moving forward.  Since the backline is our biggest problem, I certainly want to see the majority of our spending focused on the back four, big name signing or no. 

I really think that this upcoming season is one of reconciliation; let's do well in the League this year and make sure we get back into Europe.  If the club does that, it raises its public profile and I guarantee more "big name" signings will happen.  As much as this club has changed in the past few months, I'm not convinced that all players in Europe know/are convinced that we're headed in the right direction just yet.

I think we need backup in midfield and someone like duscher who is pretty tough tackling dm could come in very handy if we needed to close games off etc. As long as not paid to much and on a free.

On another point I love it when players are said to be able to play centre back and can also play in dm etc I think all players could play anywhere but are they actually any good at playing there

Duscher, Butt, Barton, Dyer = number assists to be counted on my right hand.

Duscher isn't needed while we have Butt, we need one creative midfielder at that's it.

id rather have duscher than butt, a better player.

Before Big Bad Baggio gets you, I will ask you politely. Why do you have this opinion, and how is Duscher better than Butt?

Duscher isn't needed while we have Butt, we need one creative midfielder at that's it.

Aye but it's easier to do chants for Nicky Butt, isn't it.

Before Baggio gets there, I will ask you politely. Why do you have this opinion, and how is Duscher better than Butt?

Duscher is a superior DM than Butt, hes quicker, stronger and much harder in the tackle he will protect the defense so much better as he can cover the pitch quicker. only problem with duscher is that he gives free kicks away but refs in the prem are much more lenient than european refs.

:D

Guest Guinness

Agreed on the creative midfielder, that's definately a must. Emre on his day can fill the role easily, but he doesn't do it on a consistent basis and his stats over the past two seasons show that.

Whats wrong with "Teenage Dusch-bag" by Wheatus.

That'aldo.

Before Baggio gets there, I will ask you politely. Why do you have this opinion, and how is Duscher better than Butt?

Duscher is a superior DM than Butt, hes quicker, stronger and much harder in the tackle he will protect the defense so much better as he can cover the pitch quicker. only problem with duscher is that he gives free kicks away but refs in the prem are much more lenient than european refs.

Fair enough, ive seen nowt of him really. Will probably find out he was never here to begin with tmrw anyways!

That'aldo.

WOO!

We've got Aldo Duscher

He comes from Argentina

Not from Brazil

But he's still brill

Before Big Bad Baggio gets you, I will ask you politely. Why do you have this opinion, and how is Duscher better than Butt?

:lol: About as hard as fudge.

I'd like to see YOU bite into some fudge after a few hours in the fridge. I mean the fudge not you...although if you're cold you'd probably struggle either way.

Especially after I've knocked his fucking teeth out. :knuppel2:

I'd like to see YOU bite into some fudge after a few hours in the fridge. I mean the fudge not you...although if you're cold you'd probably struggle either way.

Especially after I've knocked his fucking teeth out. :knuppel2:

:razz: