David Beckham

NSG

Good player, nothing more for me. Was at his best between 98 and 2000, sticking to the wing in line with the opposition defence when possible, getting great crosses in, always providing width to his team, and generally keeping it simple for someone with no real pace, dribbling ability or trickery. But his game went to pot as soon as he started to drift around the pitch like a Zidane wannabe trying to spray 60 yard balls over the top, getting crosses in from far too deep as a result (as he was no longer interested in playing as a more orthodox winger). I think his media reputation was primarily responsible for affecting this change in his playing style (i.e. playing up to the ego of being a global superstar despite not having the talents for playing that way). And when he turned into "Beckham Superstar", I thought he absolutely ruined the balance of whatever team he was in because he added no width and was strolling around in useless positions trying the aforementioned long balls which destroyed team harmony. As soon as Real Madrid signed him (based on reputation alone) as a replacement for Makelele of all people, I thought he'd ruin their side, and surprise surprise they didn't win s*** for nearly 5 years. Stood out like a sore thumb in that side imo.

I think the media whoring of him was annoying at times, an attempt at times to create a hero for the nation to get behind. HTT mentions the Greece game, the one where he was proclaimed by the media to have single-handedly saved England's World Cup campaign having played like a God, but to my eyes he pretty much did nothing except for chase the ball alot adding zero width to the side, and missed about 5 free kicks before getting 1 in at the end (against absolutely dire opposition and at what should have been a comfortable saving height if their keeper wasn't so crap). On top of this, all of the plaudits seemed to be completely overlooking the fact that had he not scored that free kick we'd have had a playoff against a p*ss poor Ukraine side and qualified anyway (Germany beat them by 5+ goals iirc in their qualifier) - if you're worried that you're not going to be able to beat Ukraine over 2 legs then why even bother with the World Cup? But back to Beckham, at that point of his career his game was very much all about playing for David Beckham the Superstar, hence why I think Sir Alex dropped him for Solskjaer long before any rumours of rows and flying boots came out (and I'm sure Beckham being unhappy started entirely because Sir Alex dropped him, justifiably so). Solskjaer, despite being out of position, stuck to the wing as high up as possible, added width to his team, and played it simple - things Beckham used to do before he let his reputation get to his head.

The sad thing is that there are many people who don't follow football (and some who do) who will definitely remember Beckham long after they've forgotten about Giggs, Keane and Scholes, players who were absolutely light years ahead of David and infinitely better footballers even in their twilight years. If anything, I think even at his best (as that orthodox right winger) David was the weak link in that "dream team" midfield ManU had. Put a Luis Figo in there instead of David and we'd have been in wet dream team territory.

:clap:

Lost any semblance of respect for him when he became a 'brand' rather than a footballer.

Why though? I honestly don't get the grief. He still racked up over 700 career appearances so it's definitely a case of 'as well as', as opposed to 'rather than'.

I just prefer footballers to keep themselves to themselves and go about trying to be the very best footballer they can be. To become famous for doing what they do better than almost everyone else.

He's always come across as far too desperate for publicity and fame. I always compare him to Paul Scholes, about the same age, same team, same training, same managers etc. One will go down as one of the best midfielders of his generation and the other married a spice girl, became a walking clothes-horse and hawked his brand at every possible opportunity to maximise his status/fame.

I know which one I've got the respect for.

As per Middsy nails it.

Indeed. Ultimately he'll be remembered more for his nonsense off the pitch.

Will he fuck, football fans will remember him as a top player who played for Man Utd, Real, AC and England with distinction. Only your celeb obsessed brain dead sun reading morons will remember him for marrying a Spice Girl, wearing a dress etc.

I don't get the Beckam hate like. He is one of the best English players of all-time, is a thoroughly nice bloke and on the pitch gave it his all. So what if he's a huge star away from the pitch, good luck to the man.

In an age where the likes of Joey Barton are fawned over or Ballotelli regarded as legends, Beckham really is a global football icon, someone we should be applauding not slagging. The man has made the absolute most of his career and life without being a cunt, flaunting himself or going off the rails.

He was never in that very top bracket of players but there is no denying he was a great player. That performance for England against Greece remains one of the best individual performances I've ever seen. I've yet to see a better all-round passer or crosser of a ball either, traits often downplayed as key attributes in the pace and skillz obsessed mindset of the FIFA generation these days.

David Beckham will be remembered as one of the greatest players England has produced and indeed one of our most successfull.

Is he fuck one of the best English players of all time. He's certainly one of the most over rated;  and the reason for that is partially because of the media whoring. Yes his Greece performance will always be his greatest moment but in truth it was the peak of an England career based on hard work, a few free kicks and costing us the chance of progressing in France due to his Manchester United inbred petulance.

EDIT: Fucking excellent post by tmunkey.:clap:

Good player, nothing more for me. Was at his best between 98 and 2000, sticking to the wing in line with the opposition defence when possible, getting great crosses in, always providing width to his team, and generally keeping it simple for someone with no real pace, dribbling ability or trickery. But his game went to pot as soon as he started to drift around the pitch like a Zidane wannabe trying to spray 60 yard balls over the top, getting crosses in from far too deep as a result (as he was no longer interested in playing as a more orthodox winger). I think his media reputation was primarily responsible for affecting this change in his playing style (i.e. playing up to the ego of being a global superstar despite not having the talents for playing that way). And when he turned into "Beckham Superstar", I thought he absolutely ruined the balance of whatever team he was in because he added no width and was strolling around in useless positions trying the aforementioned long balls which destroyed team harmony. As soon as Real Madrid signed him (based on reputation alone) as a replacement for Makelele of all people, I thought he'd ruin their side, and surprise surprise they didn't win shit for nearly 5 years. Stood out like a sore thumb in that side imo.

I think the media whoring of him was annoying at times, an attempt at times to create a hero for the nation to get behind. HTT mentions the Greece game, the one where he was proclaimed by the media to have single-handedly saved England's World Cup campaign having played like a God, but to my eyes he pretty much did nothing except for chase the ball alot adding zero width to the side, and missed about 5 free kicks before getting 1 in at the end (against absolutely dire opposition and at what should have been a comfortable saving height if their keeper wasn't so crap). On top of this, all of the plaudits seemed to be completely overlooking the fact that had he not scored that free kick we'd have had a playoff against a piss poor Ukraine side and qualified anyway (Germany beat them by 5+ goals iirc in their qualifier) - if you're worried that you're not going to be able to beat Ukraine over 2 legs then why even bother with the World Cup? But back to Beckham, at that point of his career his game was very much all about playing for David Beckham the Superstar, hence why I think Sir Alex dropped him for Solskjaer long before any rumours of rows and flying boots came out (and I'm sure Beckham being unhappy started entirely because Sir Alex dropped him, justifiably so). Solskjaer, despite being out of position, stuck to the wing as high up as possible, added width to his team, and played it simple - things Beckham used to do before he let his reputation get to his head.

The sad thing is that there are many people who don't follow football (and some who do) who will definitely remember Beckham long after they've forgotten about Giggs, Keane and Scholes, players who were absolutely light years ahead of David and infinitely better footballers even in their twilight years. If anything, I think even at his best (as that orthodox right winger) David was the weak link in that "dream team" midfield ManU had. Put a Luis Figo in there instead of David and we'd have been in wet dream team territory.

A very good analysis.

I commend him for what looks like a genuine commitment to good causes, but the over-the-top adulation of him as a footballer has always been a bit irritating.

beckham either "one of the best players england has ever produced" or "a walking clothes horse"

as always, the answer is probably somewhere in between :lol:

He had a great right foot but no left foot.

He had great stamina but no pace.

He had tremendous work rate but questionable temperament.

He wasn't shit but neither was he great. Simples

One of the best English players of all time. :lol:

He's not even one of the top 10 of the last 15 years.

Agree with this, mind. I do love Beckham though. His work ethic, his professionalism and his overall class has always shone through. He's had some almighty lows and been written off time and time again but he's always showed great mentality to bounce back and prove people wrong.

Off the pitch he's always came across like a genuinely nice bloke and he's been nothing but good news for England as a whole and is a great ambassador for this country and we should be proud that he’s ours.

Agree with this, mind. I do love Beckham though. His work ethic, his professionalism and his overall class has always shone through. He's had some almighty lows and been written off time and time again but he's always showed great mentality to bounce back and prove people wrong.

Off the pitch he's always came across like a genuinely nice bloke andhe's been nothing but good news for England as a whole and is a great ambassador for this country and we should be proud that he’s ours.

Ahem ......1998.

Off the pitch he's always came across like a genuinely nice bloke andhe's been nothing but good news for England as a whole and is a great ambassador for this country and we should be proud that he’s ours.

Ahem ......1998.

Him jumping over the Brazilian tackle was nearly as bad, imo.

A CV of Real Madrid, Man Utd, PSG and Milan speaks highly of his professionalism and the fact he made the most of his talent. I couldn't care less what he does off the pitch, good for him if he wants to make as much money as he can.

Yeah, I believe everyone is entitled to make the most out of their earning potential.

Ahem ......1998.

Sorry that looks wrong, didn't mean on field in that part. Just meant off field on the whole how he's a role model for this country.

Mentioned prior to that about the lows in his career which he has always bounced back from. Like the silly flick to the greece free kick, or frozen out by Capello at RM to winning his place back and making a valuable contribution. Told he'd never play for England again to go and reach his 100 caps. Told he couldn't cut in top Europe league anymore to go out and have a successful loan spell at AC Milan. He’s always responded in a positive manner and shown great mentality.

Guest firetotheworks

He's up there to be knocked down because of his celebrity status, but it's churlish to use that as a way to detract credibility from tremendously successful career solely as a footballer. It's not like he was a passenger in any of the teams that he played for. He was always an important player, even if the standards did tail off as soon as he went to America.

I think people go too far either way as a reaction to whichever O.T.T opinion that have about him being one of the best players ever, or him just being bang average or even him being shit. Both are total nonsense.

Midds' point was he didn't put football first and a result he peaked before the age of 26 when a player of his style/talent probably should have seen some of his best days when he was playing Sunday League in LA.

Wasn't he about 31 when he went to LA Galaxy? :lol:

He was a good player who used the relatively limited toolset he had (compared to some of the players around him at Man Utd and Madrid) effectively. Don't really care about the media stuff, fair play to him for capitalising on that side of things as well really.

In my time of watching England, he's been head and shoulders above others on the front of actually showing up and acting like you're interested in playing for your country. Whilst I don't think his abilities as a footballer could ever be deemed 'world class' or anything like that, I'd certainly categorise him as one of the most influential english players of his generation.

I couldn't care less about his desire to sell himself/his brand, as he's always done it in a moderately classy manner, and has never appeared to be anything other than a pleasant guy. No real reason to dislike a guy who is using the current system to his benefit, given he hasn't done it in a particularly obnoxious manner.

Guest firetotheworks

In my time of watching England, he's been head and shoulders above others on the front of actually showing up and acting like you're interested in playing for your country. Whilst I don't think his abilities as a footballer could ever be deemed 'world class' or anything like that, I'd certainly categorise him as one of the most influential english players of his generation.

I couldn't care less about his desire to sell himself/his brand, as he's always done it in a moderately classy manner, and has never appeared to be anything other than a pleasant guy. No real reason to dislike a guy who is using the current system to his benefit, given he hasn't done it in a particularly obnoxious manner.

Yes.

Guest coalminer

...tremendously successful career solely as a footballer. It's not like he was a passenger in any of the teams that he played for. He was always an important player.

Come on fella, you must have not watched him play from 1999 onwards.  Slow, usually out of position, wasteful with set pieces, didn't track back...

He was good enough to play in the PL, La Ligua etc, but was never good enough to build a team around.

...tremendously successful career solely as a footballer. It's not like he was a passenger in any of the teams that he played for. He was always an important player.

Come on fella, you must have not watched him play from 1999 onwards.  Slow, usually out of position, wasteful with set pieces, didn't track back...

He was good enough to play in the PL, La Ligua etc, but was never good enough to build a team around.

He didn't say teams were built around him, just said he was important player which he was. Don't understand the whole doesn't track back, he's one of the most harding working players on the pitch generally, even towards the end of his career his fitness was exceptional.

Guest firetotheworks

I never said that you could build a team around him and the only point that I agree with is that he was slow.

He didn't say teams were built around him, just said he was important player which he was. Don't understand the whole doesn't track back, he's one of the most harding working players on the pitch generally, even towards the end of his career his fitness was exceptional.

Thats what I don't get about that idea, he was almost always one of the players you'd find getting stuck in across the whole pitch when out of possession, he was an immensely hard worker