Our best transfer of the last 15 years

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Overall, Andy Cole. Signed for £1.5million, scored bucketloads for fun, sold for £6million plus Gillespie, who was a damn good winger till his injury at Old Trafford. The club benefitted in practically every stage with regards to him, even on his exit - and to top it off, that £6mill bought us Sir Les.

Obviously this is an unpopular view, but I dont think Shearer was our "best" signing, although one of the best. We paid £15million for a £15million player, but that £15million player only lasted for one season. Hes had several very poor seasons overall, some due to injuries, others due to aging legs, and quite importantly, towards the end of his career, he was holding the team back due to his reputation, regardless of what he had done for us (prime example, Kluivert Bellamy partnership being broken to accomodate a very poor Shearer). Some good seasons in between those poles under Sir Bobby, but at that point in time he had become a "good" Premiership forward - consistent, good on plenty of occassions, but a shadow of the player we shelled out a world record fee for. In Sir Bobby's team, was he even our best player reputation aside? Debateable, as Bellamy form was as good as his, albeit in a different role, as were the likes of Dyer, Nobby, Robert, etc. He was/is synonymous with the club/area, great servant and stats, but we didnt get true value for money due to the injuries as well as sentimentality in his latter years, and that for me counts against him somewhat, even if its completely not his fault.

cracking post.

Guest redmayne

Overall, Andy Cole. Signed for £1.5million, scored bucketloads for fun, sold for £6million plus Gillespie, who was a damn good winger till his injury at Old Trafford. The club benefitted in practically every stage with regards to him, even on his exit - and to top it off, that £6mill bought us Sir Les.

Obviously this is an unpopular view, but I dont think Shearer was our "best" signing, although one of the best. We paid £15million for a £15million player, but that £15million player only lasted for one season. Hes had several very poor seasons overall, some due to injuries, others due to aging legs, and quite importantly, towards the end of his career, he was holding the team back due to his reputation, regardless of what he had done for us (prime example, Kluivert Bellamy partnership being broken to accomodate a very poor Shearer). Some good seasons in between those poles under Sir Bobby, but at that point in time he had become a "good" Premiership forward - consistent, good on plenty of occassions, but a shadow of the player we shelled out a world record fee for. In Sir Bobby's team, was he even our best player reputation aside? Debateable, as Bellamy form was as good as his, albeit in a different role, as were the likes of Dyer, Nobby, Robert, etc. He was/is synonymous with the club/area, great servant and stats, but we didnt get true value for money due to the injuries as well as sentimentality in his latter years, and that for me counts against him somewhat, even if its completely not his fault.

fuck you

forget what he did for the club?

i'm almost as mad as invicta reading that

you are not even worth a fucking opinion - fuck me im so mad at that statement

f*** you

you are not even worth a f****** opinion - f*** me im so mad at that statement

Get a grip, he's entitled to his opinion and I think a lot will agree with some of what he's said.

f*** you

Get a grip, he's entitled to his opinion and I think a lot will agree with some of what he's said.

exactly, like i said, i think most of thats spot on!

There are a few people on here who wont have shearer criticised at all, but thats just their opinion i suppose

Guest jamesmartinsmith

f*** you

As a Man Utd supporter are you really so sad, that you spend your free time insulting people on Newcastle forums?

Get a life.

The Rob Lee signing sticks in the memory a bit in an egotistical kind of way, because I'd seen him a few times before, and I couldn't understand why a bigger club hadn't come in for him. We were in competition with Boro for his signature and I was praying we'd get him, and then he fulfilled all the ability that I'd thought was there.

Competition comes from Bellamy who transformed us from mid-table to Champions League. Irritating little nyaff but the right player at the right time.

The Rob Lee signing sticks in the memory a bit in an egotistical kind of way, because I'd seen him a few times before, and I couldn't understand why a bigger club hadn't come in for him. We were in competition with Boro for his signature and I was praying we'd get him, and then he fulfilled all the ability that I'd thought was there.

Competition comes from Bellamy who transformed us from mid-table to Champions League. Irritating little nyaff but the right player at the right time.

same goes for robert

What a player Robert was, I think of all of the shit he got for being lazy but he was far better than anything we've got in those positions atm.

I remember his first season with us he got something like 8 goals and 16 assists just in the league. Excellent player.

In Sir Bobby's team, was he even our best player reputation aside? Debateable, as Bellamy form was as good as his, albeit in a different role, as were the likes of Dyer, Nobby, Robert, etc.

Would have to agree with most of what you said tmonkey. Bellamy however was only the "best player at the club" for a short period. From the start of the 2005 until, of course, his NUFC demise under Souness. For the two year before that we had several quality players all part of a team system like Bellars, Nobby and Robert, but Shearer still just about edged it in terms of true quality.

What a player Robert was, I think of all of the s*** he got for being lazy but he was far better than anything we've got in those positions atm.

I remember his first season with us he got something like 8 goals and 16 assists just in the league. Excellent player.

Quality. Shame he is such a tit.

Guest paulod

Shearer, value for money all round and in his penultimate season  he led the line better than anyone you'll ever see.

Can't believe the nob who bleated on about shearer destroying the world renowned 'bellamy kluivert' partnership

What a player Robert was, I think of all of the s*** he got for being lazy but he was far better than anything we've got in those positions atm.

Quality. Shame he is such a tit.

His problem was he just couldn't keep his mouth shut, he was always saying things in the French press only to say he's been misquoted.

There are only so many times you can use that excuse, especially when alot of it was on his own website. :lol:

Slightly worried that I agree with NE5, but it has to be Robert Lee.

I also have to agree with the view that Shearer wasn't. He should have been but it just didn't work out. His last thee years were exceptionally poor, and a real side would have moved on, without leavign him to shuffle around, giving 100% but it not being as good as him playing at 60% of the 1996 player. The concentration on his requirements, rather than on the team requirements can also be viewed as a negative impact.

Shay is clearly value.  Of the early Keegan buys Venison and Sellars were great buys. We have definitely had our money's worth out of Solano too.

Later on value for money came from Kevin Gallagher.

The buy that excited me most was Ginola having accidentally seen him on box the previous season playing fantastically in a CL game. How could we be the team he came and played for ?

Biggest let down was Maric, he could have, should have, been great

Slightly worried that I agree with NE5, but it has to be Robert Lee.

I also have to agree with the view that Shearer wasn't. He should have been but it just didn't work out. His last thee years were exceptionally poor, and a real side would have moved on, without leavign him to shuffle around, giving 100% but it not being as good as him playing at 60% of the 1996 player. The concentration on his requirements, rather than on the team requirements can also be viewed as a negative impact.

Shay is clearly value.  Of the early Keegan buys Venison and Sellars were great buys. We have definitely had our money's worth out of Solano too.

Later on value for money came from Kevin Gallagher.

The buy that excited me most was Ginola having accidentally seen him on box the previous season playing fantastically in a CL game. How could we be the team he came and played for ?

Biggest let down was Maric, he could have, should have, been great

He made me smile when he left and picked up an injury straight away.  bluelaugh.gif

Beardsley by a mile, his class made up a team to be feared in those early prem seasons when the southern cunts were laughing at us

Shearer does not represent a good transfer, with him in the team we went backwards, regardless of his personal achievements

Shearer does not represent a good transfer, with him in the team we went backwards, regardless of his personal achievements

If you are talking literally I guess that makes sense; as in we were a much better side 96-97 than in 05-06... but all in all it's a rather foolish thing to say.

If you are talking literally I guess that makes sense; as in we were a much better side 96-97 than in 05-06... but all in all it's a rather foolish thing to say.

we were also better in 95-96 than 96-97