Luke Young - £2.7m?

Leazes1986
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Charlton seek fresh offers for Young after cutting price

By Jason Burt

Published: 14 July 2007

Charlton Athletic yesterday put their England international full-back Luke Young up for sale for a cut-price £2.7m. The fee, lower than the £4m previously mooted for the defender, will alert a host of Premiership clubs headed by Middlesbrough, Aston Villa and Newcastle United.

Young, who turns 28 next week, has informed Charlton that he wants to leave the club following their relegation and despite signing a four-year contract last summer. "We've had a few phone calls about Luke," said the Championship club's manager, Alan Pardew. "I've got a lot of time and respect for Luke and I appreciate where he is in his career.

"If a decent club comes in and I thought the fee was right I'd let him go. I've obviously brought in a replacement already in Yassin Moutaouakil, who I feel is going to give real competition to Luke whether he stays or not."

Charlton signed Moutaouakil, the France Under-21 captain, for only £400,000 last month and Young's departure would follow the £16.5m sale of Darren Bent to Tottenham Hotspur. Pardew is closing in on a £1m bid for West Ham United's Hayden Mullins and is keen to sign another midfielder, Salif Diao, who was on a short-term deal at Stoke City last season.

Pardew also wants another striker and although an inquiry has been made about Birmingham City's DJ Campbell he may be unwilling to pay the asking price, which is apparently £2m. Leicester City are favourites to sign him while Cardiff City and Watford have also expressed interest.

The reduced price for Young may rekindle the interest of several Premiership clubs. Boro are interested as they have, so far, refused to reach agreement with AZ Alkmaar over their right-back Gretar Steinssson. The Dutch club want £4m for the Icelandic international and Boro have offered half that amount. Young, however, is thought to favour a move to Villa.

Another defender, West Ham's Paul Konchesky, has joined Fulham for £2m. The left-back, 26, has signed a four-year deal. He will be joined at Craven Cottage by Leeds United striker David Healy, who agreed a four-year deal yesterday for a fee thought to be around £1m.

Guest Ridzuan

I think thats a very good price and we should go and try to get him here.I believe he is a decent player who can become much better with a bit of guide and whose better to do that than Big Sam.

He isn't good enough for where we want to be, he's a midtable Premiership player at best. He got an England cap and suddenly people think he's an up and coming star because they hadn't noticed of him before. He's 28 and didn't really stand out in a shocking Charlton defence.

Ignore the price. Why pay £2.7M for something not good enough when double that might get you the man you need for the next 5 years. We need to stop penny pinching in defence.

He isn't good enough for where we want to be, he's a midtable Premiership player at best. He got an England cap and suddenly people think he's an up and coming star because they hadn't noticed of him before. He's 28 and didn't really stand out in a shocking Charlton defence.

Ignore the price. Why pay £2.7M for something not good enough when double that might get you the man you need for the next 5 years. We need to stop penny pinching in defence.

I agree

Guest Stephen927

Nothing overly special about him, I'd prefer Geremi or Solano filling in at right back ahead of him.

Small fee, decent back up and competetion for places. I don't see why not.

How many back up DR's do we need?

Guest stjamestoon

I think with the right guidance he could be a very good player for the future. We need stability at the back to get a good system going and young players who want to do well in their careers with natural talent is what we need.

I think with the right guidance he could be a very good player for the future. We need stability at the back to get a good system going and young players who want to do well in their careers with natural talent is what we need.

Who are you on about?

The way I see it:

Given (harper)

Geremi (Young)    Rozehnal (Taylor)    New CB (Ramage)    New LB (Baba)

Milner (Solano)    Barton (Emre)    Butt (Dyer)  Duff (N'zogbia)

Viduka (Shola)    Owen (Martins)

If we're looking at two players for every position then Young would be pretty good back up for the RB spot.