Fraser Forster

Guest Alan Shearer 9

From what I've seen he isn't good enough for England.

To be able to say that surely you'd have to have watched this Butland kid as well?

Playing for Cheltenham???? Howay man.

What's your point?

From what I've seen he isn't good enough for England.

Ben Foster and Scott Carson are both well ahead of him in my John Humble and should also ahead of Rob Green and Jack Butland anarl.

Those two don't want to be there though, personally I wouldn't touch Carson with a shitty stick but Foster's clearly the second best English goalkeeper and then Robinson but he's not interested either.

Could see how Forster does in pre-season I guess (despite last year's being, quite frankly, a bit of a forgetful time for him) before we make a proper decision about his future here. Otherwise, best of luck to him for the future.

Is it just me or will Forster be another one of those keepers who just have "ordinary" careers?

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/qpr-eye-fraser-forster-the-newcastle-862839

By John Cross 4 Jun 2012 22:29

I'll have a Forsters: QPR are thirsting for the Newcastle goalkeeper

The 6ft 7in man-mountain wants to play in the Premier League to boost his England chances after two years on loan at Celtic

QPR boss Mark Hughes is eyeing Fraser Forster as a potential new number one.

The 24-year-old goalkeeper, who has spent the last two seasons on loan at Celtic from Newcastle, is believed to be ready to move back to the Premier League to improve his England prospects.

That has alerted QPR, who are desperate for a new keeper with Hughes ready to move Paddy Kenny on to Leeds to be reunited with former Hoops boss Neil Warnock.

QPR have been looking at Forster, Tottenham misfit Heurelho Gomes, former West Ham free agent Rob Green and Ben Foster, who spent the past season on loan at West Brom from Birmingham.

Forster, who stands a hulking 6ft 7in tall, enjoyed his spell at Celtic and the Scottish club would be keen on another deal for him.

Guest Phil K

What's your point?

Probably that you can't expect someone to have seen every contestant for a shirt.

Personally Id never even heard of Butland, let alone seen him.

Doubt if many have. INCLUDING those pushing his claim.

What's your point?

Probably that you can't expect someone to have seen every contestant for a shirt.

Personally Id never even heard of Butland, let alone seen him.

Doubt if many have. INCLUDING those pushing his claim.

Who's pushing his claim? All I said was that I don't see how anyone can say with authority that Forster's not good enough for England when the bar is Cheltenham's goalkeeper i.e. not particularly high and therefore it's probably likely that Forster is good enough to make the squad.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Forster would be crazy to sign for Celtic. He's already won the title in Scotland. Now the league is a one horse race why bother staying? QPR had been linked with him but they have now signed Robert Green. As long as Forster was the number 1 choice, Southampton in the Premiership would be a much better option for his long term career.

Don't understand why this lad won't stick around to see where we are headed as a club. Surely he must be impressed and excited by the events of last season, coupled with the players we are looking to bring in to improve the squad. Who knows? An injury to Krul (Jah forbidding) could see him starting league games. Having two capable (and now relatively experienced) goalkeepers has got to be one of our priorities if we want to move up to the next level.

Guest Roger Kint

He wants first team football and who can blame him? He has seen first hand what staying here has done to Harper's career, at 24 he will only go backwards as a keeper staying here so how is that good for either party?

He wants first team football and who can blame him? He has seen first hand what staying here has done to Harper's career, at 24 he will only go backwards as a keeper staying here so how is that good for either party?

Not debating that. It's totally understandable. But what happens from the club's point of view if Krul gets injured? Would you be confident in Elliot or Harper filling in? It's not like Forster has been rotting in the reserves of late. He's played quite a bit for Celtic, and has had European experience as well. So I don't think he's going backwards. He could mind nets in cup ties next season.

Guest Roger Kint

Not debating that. It's totally understandable. But what happens from the club's point of view if Krul gets injured? Would you be confident in Elliot or Harper filling in? It's not like Forster has been rotting in the reserves of late. He's played quite a bit for Celtic, and has had European experience as well. So I don't think he's going backwards. He could mind nets in cup ties next season.

I would be reasonably confident yes. How many clubs have two top class keepers? Not too many, what Forster has done before today makes no difference if he is just going to sit on our bench for the next 12 months playing occasional cup/reserve games, he needs regular games at that age or he wont progress. I honestly cant understand how you think going from everything you just said to a handful of games over the next couple of seasons is anything but backwards for him as a keeper.