Owen out for 10 days - Thigh Strain in training.

Dragon55544

what odds that the partnership off Martins - Ameobi will start more times than Owen - Viduka next season?

Good odd's i'd say. What order of appearances do you think our strikers will finish with? I can see Ameobi and Martins being the top 2, given the injury proneness of Owen and Viduka.

What is Viduka's availability for these friendlies, obviously he's playing for Oz at the moment, but will he line up for us in any pre-season matches?

Im guessing we'll go with Shola and Oba vs Celtic, with Carroll on the bench?

Guest WashyGeordie

2-3 games into the season, it'll probablies be the same situation as we have now. Hes a liability!

what odds that the partnership off Martins - Ameobi will start more times than Owen - Viduka next season?

Good odd's i'd say. What order of appearances do you think our strikers will finish with? I can see Ameobi and Martins being the top 2, given the injury proneness of Owen and Viduka.

just what i was thinking

Article

Chronicle Sport News

BREAKING NEWS: Owen out for friendly

Jul 20 2007

By Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United striker Michael Owen was today ruled out of tomorrow’s trip to Carlisle.

Owen was hurt in a shooting exercise in training and retired with a thigh injury.

The former Real Madrid player is now expected back for the upcoming friendly with Juventus.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=breaking-news-owen-out-for-friendly%26method=full%26objectid=19486855%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Jesus!Thought it wos a joke!!! :rant:

Cynical and not relevant to this injury, but imo all the talk from him of being stronger/fitter than ever was merely an attempt to persuade bigger clubs to take a gamble on him, trying to enhance his chances of a move by playing down the very thing that was putting those clubs off. Unforuntately for us/him, none of them fell for the "ive changed now, honestly" line.

Guest Knightrider

Cynical and not relevant to this injury, but imo all the talk from him of being stronger/fitter than ever was merely an attempt to persuade bigger clubs to take a gamble on him, trying to enhance his chances of a move by playing down the very thing that was putting those clubs off. Unforuntately for us/him, none of them fell for the "ive changed now, honestly" line.

Agreed. He will always pick up these type of injuries as his career to date has shown, if it isn't his hamstrings it's his groin or something else. He's not quite in the same league as Woodgate but his body doesn't seem fully capable of holding up to the rigours of football. Since he broke onto the scene he has increasingly been beset with injuries and it isn't going to suddenly stop, if anything it will get worse. Instead of twisted knees and ripped hamstrings he'll get thigh strains, pull his groin or get a hernia. Injuries that will restrict his ability to perform to a high level on a consistent basis. It is this and his rather limited game that has put off all the so-called top clubs from buying this world-class finisher.

We should honestly look to sell. I'm sure we could find a more all-round player with less injury concerns who would be fully committed and able to score 15 + goals a season for the same price. I'm not a big fan of Yakubu but someone like that would represent far better value for money, or even a Defoe.

Owen's career is on the downward spiral and has been for a number of years, and I've seen nothing yet to suggest he can recover from that, not for any sustained period anyway. Just remember with every injury and passing month his value decreases while his wages remain the same. Waste of money he's been and will probably go down as one of the biggest flops in the club's history in relation to his price and wages which would be kind of sad given his ability to finish. But that's what you get when you sign such a player.

Agreed. He will always pick up these type of injuries as his career to date has shown, if it isn't his hamstrings it's his groin or something else. He's not quite in the same league as Woodgate but his body doesn't seem fully capable of holding up to the rigours of football. Since he broke onto the scene he has increasingly been beset with injuries and it isn't going to suddenly stop, if anything it will get worse. Instead of twisted knees and ripped hamstrings he'll get thigh strains, pull his groin or get a hernia. Injuries that will restrict his ability to perform to a high level on a consistent basis. It is this and his rather limited game that has put off all the so-called top clubs from buying this world-class finisher.

We should honestly look to sell. I'm sure we could find a more all-round player with less injury concerns who would be fully committed and able to score 15 + goals a season for the same price. I'm not a big fan of Yakubu but someone like that would represent far better value for money, or even a Defoe.

Owen's career is on the downward spiral and has been for a number of years, and I've seen nothing yet to suggest he can recover from that, not for any sustained period anyway. Just remember with every injury and passing month his value decreases while his wages remain the same. Waste of money he's been and will probably go down as one of the biggest flops in the club's history in relation to his price and wages which would be kind of sad given his ability to finish. But that's what you get when you sign such a player.

Too late ... no one would touch him. He just isn't worth the risk. There are always younger, better players comin through (e.g. Tevez, Torres, Villa, Huntelaar etc) and he has well and truly been forgotten. Our last chance to sell him was last summer.

The only way anyone would touch him now was if he was on a free. Considering no team in the top four would ever want him again in my opinion, he is unlikely to ever leave. Even the likes of Tottenham might turn their noses up at him at this point.

Let's not go overboard. We once thought Bellamy's career was finished, now he's hardly ever injured.

While I do agree that Owen will probably always get niggly injuries, if he can get 25-30 games a season (something he always managed until he came to Newcastle) then he'll be a valuable player to any team. I think he'll play 20-25 league games this season (a little over 1 in 2 which is Babayaro's average), and while it's not really good enough Id be happy enough given the circumstances.

Let's not go overboard. We once thought Bellamy's career was finished, now he's hardly ever injured.

While I do agree that Owen will probably always get niggly injuries, if he can get 25-30 games a season (something he always managed until he came to Newcastle) then he'll be a valuable player to any team. I think he'll play 20-25 league games this season (a little over 1 in 2 which is Babayaro's average), and while it's not really good enough Id be happy enough given the circumstances.

You'd be happy to see Owen play 20 league games?!?!?! As if Babayaro's record is something good to compare to!

Owen is paid £120,000 per week!!! to play football, score goals and bring us glory, which he simply does not do! He's earning what, £5MILLION a season to play 20 games?!

I'd be happy enough given the circumstances if he played 25 league games or thereabouts. Those circumstances being that it's a damn sight better than 10 games in 2 years and no goals in 19 months and the fact we have competition for places in that area. I think he can make that, but I'm also realistic enough to know he might play less than 10 games. Let's face it there's a reason the lad has never scored 20 league goals, and it's not down to lack of ability. That's why I'm surprised so many would want to sell Martins, this should serve as a reminder how much we need him.

If somebody offered it to me now - that Owen would play 25 league games - I'd take it. Wouldn't you?

Guest Knightrider

If somebody offered it to me now - that Owen would play 25 league games - I'd take it. Wouldn't you?

I'd rather take £9m, and at a push I'd accept £6m

I agree with your comments about Martins, we'd be daft to even consider selling him and may even need another striker, as neither Owen, Viduka or Ameobi are what you'd call injury free players, unlike the Nigerian. Watch him get shot or something now ;)

Most players will be getting injuries at this early stage of the season, muscles will be getting worked after long periods of rest, of course there'll be strains here and there.

People need to stop whining. I'll join you whinging if hes out for a sustained period of time this season but not now ffs.