Sam Interview

SUPERTOON

Newcastle United are expected to make a major impact under new manager Sam Allardyce this season, but with big money being demanded for players these days, Sam has been left frustrated by some of his transfer market moves - as well as the added blow of learning that he will be without key signing Joey Barton through injury for several weeks. Whilst expectations on Tyneside are high, probably higher than usual, the Newcastle boss has warned fans to be patient. Givemefootball's Lawrie Madden caught up with Big Sam for an exclusive interview.

Q YOU'VE HAD INJURY SETBACKS ALREADY - TO JOEY BARTON AND MICHAEL OWEN - WHAT'S THE SITUATION?

A: The injury to Joey - a broken metatarsal which required surgery - is a terrible blow for us, and the player. It didn't appear too serious at the time. There was no contact and he appeared to pull up sharply but it is quite a problem now and he will be out for 6-8 weeks. Michael's not as serious as he has a slight thigh injury he picked up doing a little shooting exercise, so we are taking a precautionary measure and leaving him out of the side at the moment.

Q: HOW LONG DO YOU ANTICIPATE MICHAEL BEING OUT?

A: Initially, we thought it would be no more than a week or ten days and he's bac in training again. It may actually be a little early for the Celtic match on Thursday, but Juventus on the Sunday is one we hope he can be fit for.

Q: HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WILL BEFORE YOU CAN MAKE YOUR MARK, FULLY, AT THE CLUB?

A: Something like 18 months to two years. Players cannot retain all the information you want to give them so it is a long process. You impart key elements and then you re-introduce other elements which are less urgent later on. You bring in players as well to change the direction of the club. You want to make the players fitter, stronger and also work on them tactically and technically and make them more aware the size of a club like Newcastle.

Q: DO YOU FEEL THE PRESSURE OF EXPECTATION?

A: If you get a result at St James' it will be okay. If not then you will get disapproval. We live in a cauldron. The fans are enthusiastic but can be over critical but that's life. By getting more results in our favour that will make life easier. But the pressure on managers, coaches and players is massive nowadays and it is a concern of mine.

Q WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THE TRANSFER MARKET THIS SUMMER?

A: The supply and demand influences the market. The supply for top quality players is increasing-you only have to look at how much Premiership players are going for. The money is the biggest in the history of football. It used to be the big boys who could afford it but there are others who are now getting involved.

Q WHERE ARE NEWCASTLE IN THAT EQUATION?

A: You look at Fulham and they have spent £20m, Wigan have spent £10m, Portsmouth have spent £20m, West Ham £20m and Spurs £30m. Newcastle would normally deal at this level but not at the moment but hopefully we will have the ability to do it again.

Q WHAT AREAS OF THE TEAM ARE YOUR MAIN CONCERN?

A: Really, it is the defence that concerns me most. I am working extremely hard in that department and I know that we need to improve this area of the team. I am aware that another day goes by and another target slips away either to another Premiership club or to Spain or Italy. I am looking to improve on next year. I am looking to put structures in place whereby we have consistency on a regular basis rather than doing well in a one-off season and then fall back. That may take a bit more time and that requires patience.

Q WHERE ARE NEWCASTLE IN THAT EQUATION?

A: You look at Fulham and they have spent £20m, Wigan have spent £10m, Portsmouth have spent £20m, West Ham £20m and Spurs £30m. Newcastle would normally deal at this level but not at the moment but hopefully we will have the ability to do it again.

that can be looked at in oh so many ways!

Guest Knightrider

"The fans are enthusiastic but can be over critical"

I think he's spot on with that comment, just look at some of the reactions on here, and isn't it refreshing to hear a manager speak his mind and be so honest, I do hope he doesn't get carpeted for that comment. If Souness or Roeder said that there'd be hell on :lol:

Best thing about Big Sam in terms of quotes - he'll never stoop to patronising fans.

I'm going to get accused of bumming Allardyce even more, but he speaks so much sense and seems to be on our wavelength, I can't remember an issue or point where I haven't disagreed or been concerned with. When he was unveiled he said he'd open up an honest dialogue with the fans and he has. Good stuff.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Not really learned a lot more. I am concerned by the fact he said we are not dealing on the same level as the likes of Fulham and Wigan but hope to be again someday.

Is it just me who has interpreted it like this?

Quite a scoop for a relatively small website

"The fans are enthusiastic but can be over critical"

I think he's spot on with that comment, just look at some of the reactions on here, and isn't it refreshing to hear a manager speak his mind and be so honest, I do hope he doesn't get carpeted for that comment. If Souness or Roeder said that there'd be hell on :lol:

Best thing about Big Sam in terms of quotes - he'll never stoop to patronising fans.

I'm going to get accused of bumming Allardyce even more, but he speaks so much sense and seems to be on our wavelength, I can't remember an issue or point where I haven't disagreed or been concerned with. When he was unveiled he said he'd open up an honest dialogue with the fans and he has. Good

your spot on there bud!

Not really learned a lot more. I am concerned by the fact he said we are not dealing on the same level as the likes of Fulham and Wigan but hope to be again someday.

Well, that is what he said isn't it. I just wonder how long this "moment" will last.

I can't see how the quote can be interpreted positively.

As other posters rightly say am very concerned about the "Newcastle would normally deal at this level but not at the moment but hopefully we will have the ability to do it again." Comment.

I've been concerned about the sounds coming out of the club since the signing of Geremi. Its not a club who is being backed by money right now, its not aggressively hunting down targets, backing smaller clubs into corners or taking advantage of the merry-go-round and very active transfer market, its simply letting the window passing it by.

Now if these comments mean there is no money or very little in this window then were fuked, if it means until the review is donw then the board are making their first very big mistake as everyday that goes by there is less choice and we'll end up paying more as were being held over a barrel, bringing players we won't improve the club, or bringing none at all. This is the decision they are making by not releasing funds, were playing catchup now, and the new board is allowing an early lead to slip away. The teams were battling against are doing their jobs with new faces, ours is failing, its simply not good enough imo, and i know people will call my paitence, but like the last window i correctly called we were not going to sign the players we needed, and i've been getting the same feeling in the last two weeks and want to air my greivences about this.

As other posters rightly say am very concerned about the "Newcastle would normally deal at this level but not at the moment but hopefully we will have the ability to do it again." Comment.

I've been concerned about the sounds coming out of the club since the signing of Geremi. Its not a club who is being backed by money right now, its not aggressively hunting down targets, backing smaller clubs into corners or taking advantage of the merry-go-round and very active transfer market, its simply letting the window passing it by.

Now if these comments mean there is no money or very little in this window then were fuked, if it means until the review is donw then the board are making their first very big mistake as everyday that goes by there is less choice and we'll end up paying more as were being held over a barrel, bringing players we won't improve the club, or bringing none at all. This is the decision they are making by not releasing funds, were playing catchup now, and the new board is allowing an early lead to slip away. The teams were battling against are doing their jobs with new faces, ours is failing, its simply not good enough imo, and i know people will call my paitence, but like the last window i correctly called we were not going to sign the players we needed, and i've been getting the same feeling in the last two weeks and want to air my greivences about this.

I feel the same about it.. =/

Guest Knightrider

You know Roeder's early interviews were described on here as refreshingly honest.

Say again, I can't hear you.

/fingers in ears, la la la la la la la

;)

Very true, however, i can remember after the Geremi signing Allardyce saying how he didn't want transfers to be leaked through to the press. It's a possibility that since then Ashley and him have decided for price ranges alone that they keep everything a lot more low key, just a theory but it does look like we may be short of funds.

Very true, however, i can remember after the Geremi signing Allardyce saying how he didn't want transfers to be leaked through to the press. It's a possibility that since then Ashley and him have decided for price ranges alone that they keep everything a lot more low key, just a theory but it does look like we may be short of funds.

I would agree that would be a good move, but that facts are SA has come out yet again hinting that the board are taking their time, or not putting up the cash. He's really playing with fire, a lot more argumentative than last and it must piss him off with the reason he left Bolton was the lack of backing.

just because the likes of Fulham are splashing the cash, it doesnt mean they are heading for success.

For me, teams like Fulham are spening money based on the assumption that it will bring success. I prefer to think that Sam is getting the players that he feels are right for the club and not just because they had a good season with someone else.

just because the likes of Fulham are splashing the cash, it doesnt mean they are heading for success.

For me, teams like Fulham are spening money based on the assumption that it will bring success. I prefer to think that Sam is getting the players that he feels are right for the club and not just because they had a good season with someone else.

they are spending money on the assumption that if they don't improve (get in better players) they are even stronger relegation candidates. all clubs spend money in the hope of improving.

Well, that is what he said isn't it. I just wonder how long this "moment" will last.

I can't see how the quote can be interpreted positively.

Don't worry.. They'll put a spin on it and before you know it he will have meant we aim to blow the spening of other clubs out of the water, but only after the internal review is done.. </sarcasm>

he also says that we need to be patient.

I agree

From what I am picking up on this board is that too many people expected an instant fix and the immediate signing of a whole new squad of 20 players and because its not happening, the doom and gloom is starting to decend again.

We have to stop thinking like this and remember where we were at the end of the season. No way was this going to be fixed quickly.

Guest Guinness

The increased spending this summer is the result of the improved TV rights, clubs are pretty much spending guarenteed income. I'll find it concerning if we can't match the spending of the likes of Fulham and Wigan. I have found recent comments from Allardyce concerning and this one is no different, really hope this is just a case of ensuring nothing is leaked to the media.

I agree

From what I am picking up on this board is that too many people expected an instant fix and the immediate signing of a whole new squad of 20 players and because its not happening, the doom and gloom is starting to decend again.

We have to stop thinking like this and remember where we were at the end of the season. No way was this going to be fixed quickly.

in the interview he mentions being patient about the long term stability etc....he also says day by day more players are slipping away,doesn't sound like he is being too patient to me.

I agree

I don't think people think like that on here at all, they simply recognise our defence is awful and is in desperate need of strengthening.