Mort: New signings on the way

NSG

First it was said he'd took a sabbatical, now its an indefinite leave of absence.  I suppose this is a case of plans being changed after Dein turned us down..

Anyway, good to hear something from him.

Dein turned us down? Did he tell you that?

Dein did turn us down..

Am i the ONLY person he didn't tell??

Nope, he failed to mention it to me over morning coffee.

you're so not-in-the-loop.

Slanderous comment!

Guest johnson293

First it was said he'd took a sabbatical, now its an indefinite leave of absence.  I suppose this is a case of plans being changed after Dein turned us down..

Anyway, good to hear something from him.

Not necessarily changed plans - I doubt Dein would have come in as Chairman anyway - he wasn't chairman at Arsenal, much like Kenyon isn't Chelsea chairman.

The Chairman in those sort of situations may run the club, but they have the Chief Exec. (Dien/Kenyon) to be the link between the board and the Team/Manager, and deal with transfers, etc.

So I doubt the non-appointment of a 'dein' type person so far has anything to do with Mort taking up the Chairmans role earlier than expected.

I suspect it had more to do with Freddy being relieved of the position sooner than planned - possibly due to the police raids a week or so ago?

Guest Guinness

Good to see Morty coming out with these comments, the interview is very reassuring. It's good to know they have prioritised signings and getting them in before the start of the season.

Sounds good. Clearly states that there are funds available but that we won't be throwing money around, which is good. I am a fan of this stance. However, it probably means it will take us a while to land our targets, but it will be good for us in the long term. Seems he's a tough negotiator, at least we won't be a soft touch in the transfer market anymore.

I have to say one good thing about the delay in our signings is the fact that the initial "Allardyce has £50 million to spend ... " talk all died down so other clubs won't be looking to take advantage because now I think everyone is clueless about how much we actually have to spend.

Sounds good. Clearly states that there are funds available but that we won't be throwing money around, which is good. I am a fan of this stance. However, it probably means it will take us a while to land our targets, but it will be good for us in the long term. Seems he's a tough negotiator, at least we won't be a soft touch in the transfer market anymore.

I have to say one good thing about the delay in our signings is the fact that the initial "Allardyce has £50 million to spend ... " talk all died down so other clubs won't be looking to take advantage because now I think everyone is clueless about how much we actually have to spend.

Exactly.

There could never be any advantage whatsoever, in advertising how much you are prepared to spend, up front.

These guys (Mort/Ashley) are good 'poker players' methinks!.

To f*** with that "Premiership experience"

I can see why managers would want it tbf.

Toure, Gilberto, Ljungberg, Bergkamp, Fabregas, Rosicky, Van Persie. Not one of them over £7.5m (i think). If you know what you're doing experience shouldn't matter much.

I chose cheaper players because i guess if you pay 'big' money the player ,theoretically, should have less of a risk factor i suppose.

You concluded all this from someone saying "we won't be throwing silly money around"??

It could be interpreted any which way to be honest, you could even interpret it as trying to lower fans' expectations over signings because a relatively small budget has been allocated this summer, thus explaining Sam's frustrations over how much his rival clubs are spending.

Like ohmelads says, could mean any manner of things depending on which angle you look at it from.

(Just because I want to) Im going to take it as we wont spend 17m on a player like Darren Bent thats really worth around 7 or 8.

A warning shot to those that might hold us to ransom.

You concluded all this from someone saying "we won't be throwing silly money around"??

It could be interpreted any which way to be honest, you could even interpret it as trying to lower fans' expectations over signings because a relatively small budget has been allocated this summer, thus explaining Sam's frustrations over how much his rival clubs are spending.

Exactly. What is meant by "silly amounts of money"? For example, £45 million for Ronaldinho is a silly amount of money. I hope he doesn't consider 5 or 6 signings at around £4 million to £7 million each to be a "silly amount of money". We do seem to be hunting around at the cheaper end of the market at the moment. There's nothing wrong with that if we pick up some bargains but it will be a bit disappointing if we miss out on some quality for the sake of £2 million or so.

Guest khyberpass

Got to say that Im happy to throw silly money around for Deco, Appiah, Crouch, MG Pedersen, Park, Joe Cole, Kaka, Ronaldo....

as long as that doesn't stop us filling all the other gaps we need to fill....

we need 1/2xCB, 1xLB, 2/3 x midfield, 1 x Striker

If Ashley and Mort want us to challenge for Europe, we may HAVE to throw in £40M/50M  just to close the gap on Manure, Chelski, Liverpool, Arse, Spurs and the new big spenders of West Ham, Pompey, and the solid teams like Everton, Bolton, Blackburn?

I don't believe Sam is a miracle worker...and we now have a smaller team than the disasterous 06/07 season....

Got to say that Im happy to throw silly money around for Deco, Appiah, Crouch, MG Pedersen, Park, Joe Cole, Kaka, Ronaldo....

If Ashley and Mort want us to challenge for Europe, we may HAVE to throw in £40M/50M  just to close the gap on Manure, Chelski, Liverpool, Arse, Spurs and the new big spenders of West Ham, Pompey, and the solid teams like Everton, Bolton, Blackburn?

I don't believe Sam is a miracle worker...and we now have a smaller team than the disasterous 06/07 season....

No. What we need is 2 CBs, 2 LBs, 1 RB and 1/2 midfielders. Oh, and also to get rid of Stephen Carr. Maybe also Babayaro, but for now we have no choice, but to keep him.

Guest Knightrider

Can we all relax now, the man says money is available and that new players will be bought. Lets leave it at that and see where we stand come kick-off or August 31st, eh.

Guest khyberpass

No. What we need is 2 CBs, 2 LBs, 1 RB and 1/2 midfielders. Oh, and also to get rid of Stephen Carr. Maybe also Babayaro, but for now we have no choice, but to keep him.

Sorry dude but you're wrong. We have a strike force ALL prone to injury. We now have our most direct midfielder looking to leave and our new midfielder injured for the first month at least...that means we DO need to look at those positions as well....otherwise we could be down to 1 fit striker and no creative attacking midfield options = no goals  = disaster!

Guest Brazilianbob

Got one of those sinking feelings that says we will be signing players, but only after BSA has generated the funds by selling someone.  Hence Dyer suddenly has to leave the club for family reasons.

I'm becoming convinced MA will not be putting his hand in his pocket to produce anything like substantial transfer funds ( if any at all).

I believe the review of the club is to ascertain just how much money the club can generate towards paying players wages, and a transfer fund, via merchandising, season tickets etc.

I think the idea is that the club will have to stand on it's own two feet in the transfer market, without being bankrolled by Ashley.

He is a hard headed business man and if I was in his position, that is what I would do rather than throwing my money down a great big bottomless hole called NUFC!

Guest khyberpass

Got one of those sinking feelings that says we will be signing players, but only after BSA has generated the funds by selling someone.  Hence Dyer suddenly has to leave the club for family reasons.

I'm becoming convinced MA will not be putting his hand in his pocket to produce anything like substantial transfer funds ( if any at all).

I believe the review of the club is to ascertain just how much money the club can generate towards paying players wages, and a transfer fund, via merchandising, season tickets etc.

I think the idea is that the club will have to stand on it's own two feet in the transfer market, without being bankrolled by Ashley.

He is a hard headed business man and if I was in his position, that is what I would do rather than throwing my money down a great big bottomless hole called NUFC!

Bad day at work eh BraBob!

Guest Brazilianbob

Bad day at work eh BraBob!

Not really, I finish work tomorrow and am off to Cyprus on saturday for fortnight

Guest khyberpass

he he. I finish on Friday and bugger off to Vancouver for 3 weeks!

Hoping to have a new quality 1/2 a 1st 11 by the time I come back!

Yeah I'm sure Dyer has been asked and agreed to just pretend he wants to leave so we can get some money without letting on that we don't have any...  Sorry mate but that's nuts.  Similar to the idea of it being a good business decision not to put money into improving a investment you just spent £140 million on.  Much better to let it go further downhill and watch that £140 million dwindle to nowt isn't it?.... :idiot2:

Clearly at the moment we have money (see the recent £7 million bid).  But as of yet we don't know how much money that is or wether its been limited for internal reasons.  One things for sure, to improve a Football club you have to put money in.  How on earth do you think he plans to improve the fortunes of this club in order to make himself some profit eventually without providing funds to the manager?..

Guest Brazilianbob

he he. I finish on Friday and bugger off to Vancouver for 3 weeks!

Hoping to have a new quality 1/2 a 1st 11 by the time I come back!

Enjoy Vancouver!  Hopefully we will all have a number of exciting signings to talk about when you get back, but somehow i doubt it!

Guest Brazilianbob

Yeah I'm sure Dyer has been asked and agreed to just pretend he wants to leave so we can get some money without letting on that we don't have any...  Sorry mate but that's nuts.  Similar to the idea of it being a good business decision not to put money into improving a investment you just spent £140 million on.  Much better to let it go further downhill and watch that £140 million dwindle to nowt isn't it  :rolleyes:

Clearly at the moment we have money (see the recent £7 million bid).  But as of yet we don't know how much money that is or wether its been limited for internal reasons.  One things for sure, to improve a Football club you have to put money in.  How on earth do you think he plans to improve the fortunes of this club in order to make himself some profit eventually without providing funds to the manager?..

Of course he will put money in, but it will be our money ala Shepherd, not his.  As for the £7m bid would you want to bet it doesn't come from the season ticket sales?

Its all his money now.  He'll put in the amount needed to improve the club and make it successful.  Otherwise his initial £140 million investment would have been pointless from the start and he will know that.  Do you think that Ashley believes that this club will drastically improve by spending £10-£15 million or so from club turnover with the likes of West Ham, Tottenham and even Wigan spending more?  Or do you think Ashley's plan is to spend £140 million on a Football club with the intention of doing zero with it?