I really don't want to end up with Sol.

Parky

Great defender in his day and still an excellent reader of the game and still very solid. But he is pushing 33 and over the last few years he has been beset with niggling injuries. Seems like a short term fix, but on another level seems like a very unambitious move. He is quite slow now but his experience makes up for it most of the time. If we pick up another young cd in his early twenties then I'd take Sol as well to help with organising and developing our younger def.

But I don't want this window to close and just sign Sol or Hyppia or some other 32+ campaigner for the CD cover we need.

Right now we need numbers and quick. Campbell is still a better centre half than anything we have got, so i won't complain if we sign him. Even if it is only for a season.

Guest Taylor

If we had him it would give Sam more time to find a younger more able option, if not this window then in jan and we would not looks so desperate. West Brom can charge what they like for Davies because we need a CB, with someone like sol at the club it stands us in better position.

Guest Moe-Ali

We will not sign Sol campbell.

he wants to stay at portsmouth

theyve just won a trophy actually haha

Is it likely Sol will sign for us?

Would be a good stop gap signing....but does he want to come to us?  And would 'Arry let him go?

Depends on what we offered, I reckon. Be insane to pay through the nose for him, like.

Would be a great addition to the squad and obviously would be in for a starting place, but his wages are rediculous cant remember figures but they are arent they?

Thats why Arsenal showed him the door, maybe if his wages can be brought down a bit!

i'd see no problem taking Sol in.. maybe 2 weeks time if we've not signed anyone. i.e. when we're looking fucked.

Otherwise i'd prefer someone mid to late 20s, not a so called future star. Titus was a future star.

There's no way he's on 80k a week at Pompey, so I don't see why he'd demand it off us.

Aparently, i dont know figures as i said, but he would get the same wages from pompey as he would from the Arse as he didnt have a transfer fee.

Guest eyeball_tickler

i know its getting clichéd but big sam does well with these types of signings. i'd have him, the only problem would be who to leave out of the middle 2.

Guest toontoon

Campbell would be a brilliant signing for us.  him and taylor in the centre of defence with Rozehnal, Rammage and Huntington as back up.  All wed need after that is a rb and lb.

i know its getting clichéd but big sam does well with these types of signings. i'd have him, the only problem would be who to leave out of the middle 2.

I think you'll find that Taylor would be the one left out, rightly so IMO. Sam is right, for all his promise, he's still got plenty to learn. Don't think Sol Campbell is going to leave Portsmouth either, they are in the same wages league as us at the moment.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Portsmouth would hold us to ransom, so it depends how much we want him.

I think he has another year left on his contract so they can take it or leave it.

Around 4 million would have to be spent to secure him. When considering his wages as well it is a huge investment for a 32 year old, but on the flip, he will be fantastic for Rozy and Tayls and will really bring them on.

Personally i would break the bank for him!

I'd prefer Campbell over Hyypia, for the simple reason that I think he's always been a better defender.

Because of our failure in the transfer market we're reaching the "beggars can't be choosers" stage, once again, but the major question mark I'd have over him are his injuries. On a free we missed him last season and got nothing instead, that was stupid. However now he'd cost a couple of million, is a year older and you know he'll struggle to play 20 games.

We should be looking for a less injury prone player, but if we're too skint or can't attract one then it'll have to be Campbell.