Ashley wants Keegan back as Director Of Football

Sparks
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't understand why people read anything into these articles because Ashley has disappeared since he made the statement after launching the takeover bid. So newspapers get annoyed by the fact that they get no loose change from Ashley and feel the need to make up stories that fan's may consider to be a realistic possibility where in fact its actually bulls***.

If this did happen, i'd like to think Allardyce was fully in agreement with it first.

I think this is the crucial point - the club AND KK have both moved on now - if Allardyce is to succeed or fail it should be under the circumstances that he personally is comfortable with.

He is already working for a new regime - it would be different if he & KK had worked together before ; however you dress it up, Director of Football means that the manager is virtually responsible to him - a tricky situation unless ALL are happy with it...

Definitely think its too late for KK to return as manager again, and as some have pointed out, there are personality problems - in addition, if Ashley wishes to develop the Academy side of things, he will find that KK is not a great believer in that - remember how he scrapped the Reserves and wound down the Youth team..? His views on younger players were the reason some left.

If this did happen, i'd like to think Allardyce was fully in agreement with it first.

I think this is the crucial point - the club AND KK have both moved on now - if Allardyce is to succeed or fail it should be under the circumstances that he personally is comfortable with.

He is already working for a new regime - it would be different if he & KK had worked together before ; however you dress it up, Director of Football means that the manager is virtually responsible to him - a tricky situation unless ALL are happy with it...

Definitely think its too late for KK to return as manager again, and as some have pointed out, there are personality problems - in addition, if Ashley wishes to develop the Academy side of things, he will find that KK is not a great believer in that - remember how he scrapped the Reserves and wound down the Youth team..? His views on younger players were the reason some left.

Chris Macmenemy said that Keegan got rid of the reserves because our squad was so small as we'd just got promoted.

Keegan is one person who would get Ashley to splash the cash.

.................. and one bloke who understands the machinations of the transfer market ie. timing is everything, especially being prompt. Qualities, going by the first month of the transfer market, which up until this point neither Mort or Ashley have displayed.

A DOF appointment, or another approach made to somebody like Keegan should've been accomplished much sooner - ie. after Dein supposedly knocked as back for the chairman's role - as Allardyce needed front-office support in the early period of the transfer market while Mort & Ashley were too busy reviewing/auditing the club's books.

*reason why Dein was mentioned because imo his playing of the transfer market game is second to one amongst club chairma-en and along with Wenger's unquestioned ability to spot raw talent frequently Dein has been a positive influence behind Wenger's reign. Dein's wheeling & dealing in the transfer market, in a front-office capacity, accompassses a large portion of the DOF's role ie. making things happen once the manager identifies his targets & team building plans.

Guest Guinness

I'd be worried about this if it was true unless Allardyce was ok with it. The last thing we want to be doing now is unsettling the manager.

Guest sicko2ndbest

From the Daily Star and Sunday Express

The Suday Mirror also say that Mort met Shearer last week to discuss future roles

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/07/29/manual_093734.html

New Newcastle owner Mike Ashley wants Kevin Keegan to return to the club as director of football, according to the Sunday Express.

Ashley has now completed his takeover of the Magpies and, with Freddy Shepherd having left, is ready to stamp his mark on the club.

Keegan remains a hero among the Newcastle fans from his time at St James' Park both as a player and manager and Ashley is reported to think that his return would "strike a prestigious blow for the new men in charge".

Former England manager Keegan has been heavily involved in his 'Soccer Circus' project since leaving Manchester City two years ago but is thought moves have already been made to sound out the 56-year-old in the hope the chance to return to Newcastle would be too tempting to turn down.

I absolutely love Keegan but I don't think this would be a good move.  I think we are too sentimental towards ex-players and live in the past too much rather than look forward.  (On a side issue, I do think one of the stands should be named after him or something like that; his contribution to the club as both player and manager should be recognised).

Times have moved on though and Keegan has admitted recently that he is not enamoured with the way football has gone.  I think he is probably too out of touch and it would be hard for him to muster up that old enthusiasm.  And what would this say to Allardyce - I cannot imagine him to being impressed with the idea.

With regards to Shearer, is he still employed as an "Ambassador" to the club?  If so, it makes sense for Mort to meet with him to discuss what impact his role has made to the club.

Right now this is not a bad idea.

The initial buzz of the takeover is fastly wearing off due to who we've signed and now the press are jumping on it to spread even more uncertainty amongst supporters.

I think we need a DOF, Keegan though is a nostalgic appointment. I'd have thought Ashley/Mort would of went for the best man possible, the man on top of his game, not someone who's been away for a long time. But, KK still holds a lot of respect, and could still do a great job alongside SA in bringing in players.

Its been said but i'll say it again, if SA is happy with this, then i am happy with this. A DOF needs a team anyway, KK would be a great part of that team alongside lawyers & scouts.

Also SA needs a DOF, and KK even though appointed by the board would be firmly on SA's side. The board would inadvertently be appointing an ally to Sam as KK would want whats best on the pitch, and knowing the pressures of management want to support his fellow manager as much as he can. KK turned his back on the club when it went PLC, is now going back to grass roots, this is the type of person we would be bringing in, someone who's got a lot more in common with SA than the board.

The more i think of it, the more i think it could work, i just hope SA sees it like this, tbh, he's a bit naive if he sees it any other way, KK doesn't want his job, that part of his life is well over, hes ready to move up again, this would be perfect for him.

Keegan just isn't the sort of person that can take a back seat. It has to be his show.

Sorry like but that is total tosh. If he craved that so much he wouldn't of walked away from football and hidden himself from the limelight for so long.

Guest microbar

Re: Ashley wants Keegan back as Director Of Football

Love it " no I would not love it,

stop trying to piss sam off and give him some cash.  :celb:

Keegan just isn't the sort of person that can take a back seat. It has to be his show.

Sorry like but that is total tosh. If he craved that so much he wouldn't of walked away from football and hidden himself from the limelight for so long.

My point was that if he's not the one in charge, he doesn't want to know. The way he's walked away from top class football completely reinforces that.

My point was that if he's not the one in charge, he doesn't want to know. The way he's walked away from top class football completely reinforces that.

He had enough of management and the media hatred that came with it, he's never wanted to walk away from football, hence what's he's doing right now. He's not in top level football because he doesn't want to be a manager anymore, and no other opportunities have arisen for him. This would be the 1st time he's been given a chance to get back in to it without having to manage.

Another thing is if Ashley & Mort are as good as people think they are then they'll have put this passed SA 1st. Right now SA is the manager, and i think the last thing they need to do is piss off a man who's going to stabilize the club at the very least. It wouldn't surprise me at all if SA has already said yes to this. If not, then they've made a huge mistake.

Guest Alan_Shearer

Right lads, so what does a 'Director of Football' actually do then?

Id be happy with Keegan involved in the club again.

I can't see Allardyce being exactly over the moon with this, almost as bad as having Shearer above you.

agreed

Not really, Shearer is gunning for management at some stage. KK won't be going there again, in fact he might and probably wont return anyway.