Faye signs three year deal

STM

Too many squad players turns you into the likes of birmingham or Fulham.

We need a couple of players who can make a difference.

Looked a very good defender whenever I have seen him, could shock a few people.

Wasn't long ago people were talking about Geremi as a squad player and I think its fair to say he now looks like he will make a difference.

Too many squad players turns you into the likes of birmingham or Fulham.

We need (-ed?) to sort out our terribly thin squad before worrying about whether we need a player who can, as you say, "make a difference".

Rozenhal, Enrique, Geremi, Barton and Viduka are all going to make a difference in a positive way. The other squad players will as well, but these ones are going to improve us massively from last season.

Guest Sniffer

I agree that Sam had to strengthen the squad. However, I don't think we have a player that can really turn a game as the top four do. I don't want to spend the 8 mill on four 2 mill players who are much the same as we have. I think we desperately need a player with vision who can open a defence in order to compete for a top four place and that's our target for this season.

I agree that Sam had to strengthen the squad. However, I don't think we have a player that can really turn a game as the top four do. I don't want to spend the 8 mill on four 2 mill players who are much the same as we have. I think we desperately need a player with vision who can open a defence in order to compete for a top four place and that's our target for this season.

JFW

Guest elbee909

JFW

Jimmy Floyd Wasslebaink?

I can see the logic. it certainly worked with Souness.

Can you elaborate on that please.

Spending large sums of money on players with vision who can open a defence etc... without addressing the squad properly. Door openers wasn't it?

I think sniffer's talking sense too. We're building a squad full of players who can be strong, battle, chase and be aggressive, but once we win the ball what do we do with it? Wait for set pieces, and play percentages?

I think amidst all the grind in our team, we need some players to turn a game. Create chances.

Spending large sums of money on players with vision who can open a defence etc... without addressing the squad properly. Door openers wasn't it?

But the squad has been addressed now or as good as, I don't think we would have been any better under Souness if he bought more cheaper players as he was a s*** manager.

Sniffer is right in what he says, we need someone in midfield who is a door opener as Souness put it, someone who can open up defences and stretch the opposition, I do like Faye as a player but I think the money spent on Smith could have been spent better, whether that was trying to bring in a playmaker for £6 million or put it towards a more expensive one I'm not sure, we definitely lack creativity in the middle.

But the squad has been addressed now or as good as, I don't think we would have been any better under Souness if he bought more cheaper players as he was a s*** manager.

Sniffer is right in what he says, we need someone in midfield who is a door opener as Souness put it, someone who can open up defences and stretch the opposition, I do like Faye as a player but I think the money spent on Smith could have been spent better, whether that was trying to bring in a playmaker for £6 million or put it towards a more expensive one I'm not sure, we definitely lack creativity in the middle.

Hence Parky's obsession with the 'Playmaker' thread.

Guest David Kelly

I do still have some hope that Emre can provide the door openings that you're talking about.  When he's been allowed to do it he has been by far our best attacking midfielder (centrally at least) in the last couple of seasons.

I admit though I would love to see us sign some quality for that sort of thing but I wouldn't use that as an excuse not to sign Faye who can provide good cover as a defensive midfielder or centreback.

I agree witht he Smith bit.

Still think we could do with another centre back and Faye for £2m does the job, being versatile just makes it that bit better.

I think (hope) we have enough creativity for now, this season (for me) is all about building the squad, improving and hopefully getting into Europe for next year. If this happens we can look for the creative player who is good enough and wants to come here for the right reasons and be the right player.

If it happens before that then its all good, if not I am still very happy we have finally looked to sort the defence.

I think sniffer's talking sense too. We're building a squad full of players who can be strong, battle, chase and be aggressive, but once we win the ball what do we do with it? Wait for set pieces, and play percentages?

I think amidst all the grind in our team, we need some players to turn a game. Create chances.

We already have players who can create a chances and win games.  Our real problem going into this summer was a lack of quality depth in the squad.  That's pretty close to being solved but its not complete yet.  IMO Faye is yet another step towards that goal and once that's in place then the next step would be a top class playmaker in January or next summer when hopefully we'll be in a much better position to attract that kind of player.

I'd like to see Emre at least given a shot at playing this sort of role that we're talking about, if people like Carr are being given a chance and a clean slate, then he deserves one as well. I think he could thrive in the 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation, and he's more than just a "creative" player, he battles and works his socks off as well.

I hope we keep him and I pray that he proves me right, but I'm very excited to see what he can produce under Alladyce and with the new formation.

I'd like to see Emre at least given a shot at playing this sort of role that we're talking about, if people like Carr are being given a chance and a clean slate, then he deserves one as well. I think he could thrive in the 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation, and he's more than just a "creative" player, he battles and works his socks off as well.

I hope we keep him and I pray that he proves me right, but I'm very excited to see what he can produce under Alladyce and with the new formation.

Him and Duff for me. Don't want to fall into the "Big Sam Wonder Worker" trap but Duff really is the kind of player he has gotten the best out of in the past. Infact he has gotten players with a lot less ability performing to a very good level, its not as if Duff is a lazy person who just can't be arsed either.

Aye, same goes for Duff when he returns as well. Could be back to his lethal best in the "Chelsea style" formation, if he wants it enough. I'm hoping the fact he was so poor was down to Roeder and injuries as much as anything else, he certainly always seemed to be trying at the very least.

I'm quite excited that we played so well against Bolton and in pre-season without having Owen, Emre, Duff and Barton for all of the "better" performances we put in.