Asprilla: success or failure for NUFC?

Guest Invicta_Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thats right, Arsprilla was injured and flogged when he was fit again, after scoring 2 league goals between August and early new year ie he was crap.

Barnes scored 6 league goals from midfield.

That is 4 more league goals than a player who played up front.

I don't expect these facts to change your expert opinion though, as usual, you will take no notice as it doesn't suit you. Its strange how you have a certain opinion of certain players or people and the facts just don't get it with you. Anyone who saw NUFC that season and is honest with themselves will say that Arsprilla disappeared too often, especially in away games, while Barnes despite being past his best performed more, with leadership and helped Tomasson far more than Arsprilla did.

Barnes scored 7 goals in a full season, Asprilla scored 6 and was sold in January, do we only count league goals now?  Does that also apply to how we judge a season?  Do we only look at league finishes?

Interesting stuff.

I based it on league, because...

... it's convenient for your argument. Or are you going to argue that the Champions League is a Mickey Mouse competition.

Take away the Barcelona game

But why would one do that? Game in the Champions League against one of the biggest clubs in the world? This doesn't count in Zumba Bumba Land?

and he did very little for the club in his last 18 months.

Discounting the last three months when he was still on the books but injured, that's most of the time he was here.

I based it on league, because his hat trick in 1 game doubles his tally for the season, and said so at the start. Are you going to say that Ameobi is a great striker because he has a good scoring ratio in europe ? Or are you happy with a player, your main striker,  who scores 3 goals in the remainder of his games  mackems.gif

From watching that team, Arsprilla played crap on many occasions, far too many, he was also a key player in a distinct drop in performance. He was a showboater and a luxury player who disappeared when the going got tough. Take away the Barcelona game and he did very little for the club in his last 18 months. I don't need stats to show this, I produced them for those who play Championship manager, and would use them, especially a hat trick on one big european game, to somehow project that he was a success. My point is that inconsistent players who don't perform on a regular basis are failures for this very reason, and Arsprilla was one of those in that category.

As you appear to like him, I'm not surprised it taints your judgement, as you appear to apply this criteria to most of your judgements.

So when you judge Asprilla you do so by taking out some of the games he played in, OK, I'll remember that when making judgements in future if it suits my argument, as for him doing very little for 18 months, you do realise in that time we qualified for the CL but we wouldn't have done so if it wasn't for his league goals in the qualifying season, do we count those?

I don't think so. He only scored 4 league goals in that season. Keep ignoring stuff that doesn't suit your opinions though, its a hoot.

If you like, you can answer the question about Ameobi then, are you going to judge him in the same way, as he scores goals in europe but is s*** in the league ?

As usual, you will be slow to answer things that don't suit your "opinion".

We qualified on the same number of points as Arsenal and Asprilla was the only goal scorer in games where we got points, your opinion doesn't come into this, it's fact.  Stop trying to bluff your way out of this and just admit that you're wrong again, we all make mistakes and you've just dropped one almighty brick.

If Asprilla hadn't scored against Wimbledon we'd have finished behind Arsenal, instead of in front of them.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Vic doesn't really have his own opinions, just likes to comment on others.

another fat helping of irony from one of the Vic'ettes

there you go again then commenting on what you think are their shortcomings. Sounding more and more idiotic at every turn.

So once again (I know you don't lie answering questions), but in what way are our remarks at all ironic mister genius??

I doubt you could comprehend it tbh, I've given you enough opportunities to reflect on it, and you still can't help yourself

Dodging it again I see. Good on you I suppose, because you don't look at all like an egostical fool in all of this. I bet that statement made you feel all warm, powerfull and full of personal satisfaction. Fact is you have nothing.

It's pretty hard to come out as a pathetic twat on internet forums, but you and Lee are true specimens  :clap:

and you look like someone with an inferiority complex. funny how you can't even see what you're doing which is why you keep doing it, I bet you don't even remember what this poll was about. I won't bother to put in a clappy smiley, it might damage your fragile ego

I haven't read the posts. Tino was a success; he got blamed in some quarters for us not winning the league but that is bull shit. We bottled it in the end & Cantona embarked on a one man mission to win the league for Manure.

Asprilla was (largely) shit domestically. Different in Europe when he had more time and space and the centre halves aren't so physical. Failure really. It's a myth he cost us the league in 1995/96 though imo.

Asprilla was (largely) shit domestically. Different in Europe when he had more time and space and the centre halves aren't so physical. Failure really. It's a myth he cost us the league in 1995/96 though imo.

spot on.

Tsunami, if he is shit domestically, and I mean he was shit, he can't be a success purely based on a few european games even though one was a huge highlight.

The league is the bread and butter. If you watched him week in week out, he was utter bollocks, and that determines if someone is a success or not.

I based it on league, because his hat trick in 1 game doubles his tally for the season, and said so at the start. Are you going to say that Ameobi is a great striker because he has a good scoring ratio in europe ? Or are you happy with a player, your main striker,  who scores 3 goals in the remainder of his games  mackems.gif

From watching that team, Arsprilla played crap on many occasions, far too many, he was also a key player in a distinct drop in performance. He was a showboater and a luxury player who disappeared when the going got tough. Take away the Barcelona game and he did very little for the club in his last 18 months. I don't need stats to show this, I produced them for those who play Championship manager, and would use them, especially a hat trick on one big european game, to somehow project that he was a success. My point is that inconsistent players who don't perform on a regular basis are failures for this very reason, and Arsprilla was one of those in that category.

As you appear to like him, I'm not surprised it taints your judgement, as you appear to apply this criteria to most of your judgements.

So when you judge Asprilla you do so by taking out some of the games he played in, OK, I'll remember that when making judgements in future if it suits my argument, as for him doing very little for 18 months, you do realise in that time we qualified for the CL but we wouldn't have done so if it wasn't for his league goals in the qualifying season, do we count those?

I don't think so. He only scored 4 league goals in that season. Keep ignoring stuff that doesn't suit your opinions though, its a hoot.

If you like, you can answer the question about Ameobi then, are you going to judge him in the same way, as he scores goals in europe but is s*** in the league ?

As usual, you will be slow to answer things that don't suit your "opinion".

We qualified on the same number of points as Arsenal and Asprilla was the only goal scorer in games where we got points, your opinion doesn't come into this, it's fact.  Stop trying to bluff your way out of this and just admit that you're wrong again, we all make mistakes and you've just dropped one almighty brick.

If Asprilla hadn't scored against Wimbledon we'd have finished behind Arsenal, instead of in front of them.

haha...what a load of bollocks. 4 league goals says everything.

haha...what a load of bollocks. 4 league goals says everything.

You prove that we could have qualified for the CL without Asprilla scoring against Wimbledon and I'll accept that it's bollocks.

Asprilla was (largely) s*** domestically. Different in Europe when he had more time and space and the centre halves aren't so physical. Failure really. It's a myth he cost us the league in 1995/96 though imo.

spot on.

Tsunami, if he is s*** domestically, and I mean he was s***, he can't be a success purely based on a few european games even though one was a huge highlight.

The league is the bread and butter. If you watched him week in week out, he was utter bollocks, and that determines if someone is a success or not.

I used to play Saturday afternoon football at the time so I didn't get to see him game, in game out but we were on Sky almost every other game. He was inconsistent for sure but he did have a knack of creating a spark at some point in a game. Given how good we were, we had a team that could accommodate this. For my money he was a success but I do see your point.

Wasnt keen on him. His display against West Ham was as good as anyone in a black and white shirt for a long time. Other times he could be anonymous. Always makes me laugh when people use stats to condemn one player and then shy away when it doesnt fit their argument. Statistically he wasnt very good, with my own eyes he wasnt top drawer either. Entertaining at times though.

Wasnt keen on him. His display against West Ham was as good as anyone in a black and white shirt for a long time. Other times he could be anonymous.   Always makes me laugh when people use stats to condemn one player and then shy away when it doesnt fit their argument. Statistically he wasnt very good, with my own eyes he wasnt top drawer either. Entertaining at times though.

I don't know who you are talking about here, in my eyes he was shit too without going near stats which as I said I produced to satisfy those who are into them. However, you make me laugh with your anger. Why are you so angry, do you think you should go and see a shrink ? The boffiins on toontastic may tell you you need to do something like this ?

It's a shame that those same eyes actually saw Kieron Dyer never produce less than 100% commitment to Newcastle United though. Change your specs.

I think I know why you have suddenly re-appeared on here going on the way you are. Its because the schools have broken up isnt' it ? You can't stand in front of your little kiddies all day being the boss man so you are coming on here letting off steam and trying to exert some authority by telling everyone you are cleverer than everybody else ?

How sad can you get  mackems.gif

:lol:

precisely TT. He hasn't been back to deny it either. I think I know who he is, but what is amusing is his references to calling me "leazes", when he himself has for no apparent reason decided to use a different name on here to the one he uses on his board full of idiots like himself, and not tell us what it is. Ironic and hypocritical to say the least. But that is a common trait of rabid frothing lunatics.

Wasnt keen on him. His display against West Ham was as good as anyone in a black and white shirt for a long time. Other times he could be anonymous.   Always makes me laugh when people use stats to condemn one player and then shy away when it doesnt fit their argument. Statistically he wasnt very good, with my own eyes he wasnt top drawer either. Entertaining at times though.

I don't know who you are talking about here, in my eyes he was s*** too without going near stats which as I said I produced to satisfy those who are into them. However, you make me laugh with your anger. Why are you so angry, do you think you should go and see a shrink ? The boffiins on toontastic may tell you you need to do something like this ?

It's a shame that those same eyes actually saw Kieron Dyer never produce less than 100% commitment to Newcastle United though. Change your specs.

I think I know why you have suddenly re-appeared on here going on the way you are. Its because the schools have broken up isnt' it ? You can't stand in front of your little kiddies all day being the boss man so you are coming on here letting off steam and trying to exert some authority by telling everyone you are cleverer than everybody else ?

You making things up again Leazes?  :smiley6600: Its non-stop - I was going to use another word but it might not have been in keeping with your mentality.

Anger? You seem to be following every post and making something new up everytime. I've got a stalker!!! Perhaps your friends in the Gents toilets can club together and get Kieron the AIDs you wish upon him. On the basis that you say something like that then your credibililty on any subject matter goes through the floor. Not to mention Souness being a 'top boss'. Enjoy your tea, wash your hands first though. You never know what might be on them.  :razz:

I don't know who you are talking about here, in my eyes he was s*** too without going near stats which as I said I produced to satisfy those who are into them. However, you make me laugh with your anger. Why are you so angry, do you think you should go and see a shrink ? The boffiins on toontastic may tell you you need to do something like this ?

You making things up again Leazes?  :smiley6600: Its non-stop - I was going to use another word but it might not have been in keeping with your mentality.

Anger? You seem to be following every post and making something new up everytime. I've got a stalker!!! Perhaps your friends in the Gents toilets can club together and get Kieron the AIDs you wish upon him. On the basis that you say something like that then your credibililty on any subject matter goes through the floor. Not to mention Souness being a 'top boss'. Enjoy your tea, wash your hands first though. You never know what might be on them.  :razz:

oh dear, he we go again, attempting to show everyone you're such a clever lad by telling other people they are "thick"  mackems.gif

Typical frothing at the mouth type talk from loonies when they are cornered

Your comments about Gents toilets is very childish, not really quite the sort of thing an intelligent lad like you should be resorting to in order to put a point across. Your teacher would be very displeased with you. Oh dear, you are a teacher yourself aren't you. Dearie dearie me, how standards have fallen.

Some of your mates on toontastic supported Souness until the day he left, unlike myself who posted how crap he was from the day he joined, of course their credibility isn't in question, nor is yours for saying that you have seen "Kieron Dyer always giving everything to Newcastle United with your own eyes". mackems.gif biggest laugh of the decade that one in fact.

I see your hypocrisy at calling me "leazes" continues, when you yourself are using a different name on your chums board and won't tell anyone what it is ?  mackems.gif

• 1 year later...

Tino Asprilla backs Toon Army to keep United up

Feb 25 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

CULT hero Tino Asprilla was back on Tyneside today – with the Colombian insisting the Toon Army will help the Magpies stay in the Premier League.

With United heading into a crucial run of fixtures starting this weekend at Bolton, Tino feels that Newcastle have enough quality to stay up this season with future home games the key for survival.

Asprilla wooed fans at Gallowgate after arriving at Newcastle in 1996 under Kevin Keegan with the black- and-whites going for the title.

But Newcastle surrendered a 12-point lead to Manchester United to finish second.

But nevertheless Asprilla provided the United fans with plenty of magic moments in a black and white shirt and inspired the team to their first appearance in the Champions League.

Asprilla told the Chronicle: “I am delighted to be back in Newcastle.

“I actually regard it as my second home.

“I was only in Newcastle for a couple of years but I loved playing in front of their passionate fans. They are the best supporters.

“I know they will have many memories of me, but it’s the same for me because I remember just how good it was to play in front of such a noisy crowd.

“To see them so close to the danger area was a shock.

“But I think, with the supporters behind the team, they can stay up.

“And with so many quality players in the squad I think they will be safe. That’s what I am hoping for.

“It has been great to be back and see so many friends, and I wish them well.”

Asprilla took part in a five-a-side game at Power League in Dunston today alongside former team-mate Peter Beardsley before meeting children with learning difficulties in Gateshead.

The ex-Parma and Colombia star also dropped in on his old boss Luiz Felipe Scolari in London.

Asprilla, who made 48 appearances for United, spent time with the recently-axed Chelsea manager after keeping in touch with his ex-gaffer from their days together with Brazilian club Palmeiras.

The former United star is best remembered for his outrageous skills and his stunning hat-trick that sank Barcelona in the Champions League.

Guest toonlass

Amazing talent. I remember Keegan saying "Tino has no idea what he is going to do next, so if he doesn't know how can anyone else?"