Asprilla: success or failure for NUFC?

Guest Invicta_Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unbelievable results so far. Considering the amount of people who say they want a "team" and not showmen, trophy players, call them what you want, yet they consider the ultimate showboater a success who led the line when Shearer was injured and scored 2 goals on the way.

The guy was a complete waste of space, and the results bear it out.

And it makes me wonder about people's judgement too, to be honest. People knock John Barnes when he was here, but he performed more than Arsprilla did.

He didn't deliver a fraction of the performance that Craig Bellamy did, over his whole time here.  Fact.

Why's Bellamy been brought into this?

A comparison between Arsprilla and a player who is now slated, despite performing more. Whats the problem with that ?

Unbelievable results so far. Considering the amount of people who say they want a "team" and not showmen, trophy players, call them what you want, yet they consider the ultimate showboater a success who led the line when Shearer was injured and scored 2 goals on the way.

And it makes me wonder about people's judgement too, to be honest. People knock John Barnes when he was here, but he performed more than Arsprilla did.

He didn't deliver a fraction of the performance that Craig Bellamy did, over his whole time here.  Fact.

John Barnes didn't perform more than Asprilla, it's unbelievable that you can come out with that.

John Barnes didn't perform more than Asprilla, it's unbelievable that you can come out with that.

Well, in his [Arsprillas] last season, I think he did.

He also scored more goals for those who make judgements based on championship manager style stats

Because this is about Asprilla. I don't think many people on here doubt Bellamy's ability when he was here.

And I'm saying that I can't believe the result so far and saying why

Because this is about Asprilla. I don't think many people on here doubt Bellamy's ability when he was here.

Would that mean Albert was a failure just because Woodgate was better than him 6-7 years later?

Would that mean Albert was a failure just because Woodgate was better than him 6-7 years later?

Don't see your point to be honest.

Basically, I think Arsprilla was a failure because he was inconsistent and didn't deliver anywhere near enough.  Inconsistent players = inconsistent teams. Its no good complaining you don't get success and play like a jekyll and hyde team when you buy those sort of players. Craig Bellamy is slaughtered on here but giave 10 times what Arsprilla did, as is John Barnes who also performed more for the club too.

Arsprilla was just a showboater, when the going got tough he disappeared, as he also did in most away games.

He also scored more goals for those who make judgements based on championship manager style stats

Asprilla didn't get the full season and only finished 1 goal behind Barnes who had the full season as far as I can remember.

Bellamy and Asprilla? Completely different players, at different times, in different teams, under different managers. On the other hand, they were both strikers who helped us into the Champions League, have a similar goals to games ratio, and were both notorious for getting into trouble.

For what it's worth

Bellamy >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Asprilla

Still thought Asprilla was good though. Not in terms of end product, but his touch and bringing others into the game were first-class. If you take the good bits of Dyer & Ameobi and throw them into one player, you get Asprilla at his best. No world-beater (in his time here anyway), but still decent, and by no means a failure.

Asprilla didn't get the full season and only finished 1 goal behind Barnes who had the full season as far as I can remember.

Asprilla's season was over on October 1st. He got six goals up to that point (four in the Champions League). Barnes got seven goals in 22 appearances.

Thats right, Arsprilla was injured and flogged when he was fit again, after scoring 2 league goals between August and early new year ie he was crap.

Barnes scored 6 league goals from midfield.

That is 4 more league goals than a player who played up front.

I don't expect these facts to change your expert opinion though, as usual, you will take no notice as it doesn't suit you. Its strange how you have a certain opinion of certain players or people and the facts just don't get it with you. Anyone who saw NUFC that season and is honest with themselves will say that Arsprilla disappeared too often, especially in away games, while Barnes despite being past his best performed more, with leadership and helped Tomasson far more than Arsprilla did.

Thats right, Arsprilla was injured and flogged when he was fit again, after scoring 2 league goals between August and early new year ie he was crap.

I don't expect these facts to change your expert opinion though, as usual, you will take no notice as it doesn't suit you. Its strange how you have a certain opinion of certain players or people and the facts just don't get it with you. Anyone who saw NUFC that season and is honest with themselves will say that Arsprilla disappeared too often, especially in away games, while Barnes despite being past his best performed more, with leadership and helped Tomasson far more than Arsprilla did.

Barnes scored 7 goals in a full season, Asprilla scored 6 and was sold in January, do we only count league goals now?  Does that also apply to how we judge a season?  Do we only look at league finishes?

Interesting stuff.

Vic doesn't really have his own opinions, just likes to comment on others.

another fat helping of irony from one of the Vic'ettes

there you go again then commenting on what you think are their shortcomings. Sounding more and more idiotic at every turn.

So once again (I know you don't lie answering questions), but in what way are our remarks at all ironic mister genius??

I doubt you could comprehend it tbh, I've given you enough opportunities to reflect on it, and you still can't help yourself

Dodging it again I see. Good on you I suppose, because you don't look at all like an egostical fool in all of this. I bet that statement made you feel all warm, powerfull and full of personal satisfaction. Fact is you have nothing.

It's pretty hard to come out as a pathetic twat on internet forums, but you and Lee are true specimens  :clap:

Barnes scored 7 goals in a full season, Asprilla scored 6 and was sold in January, do we only count league goals now?  Does that also apply to how we judge a season?  Do we only look at league finishes?

Interesting stuff.

I based it on league, because his hat trick in 1 game doubles his tally for the season, and said so at the start. Are you going to say that Ameobi is a great striker because he has a good scoring ratio in europe ? Or are you happy with a player, your main striker,  who scores 3 goals in the remainder of his games  mackems.gif

From watching that team, Arsprilla played crap on many occasions, far too many, he was also a key player in a distinct drop in performance. He was a showboater and a luxury player who disappeared when the going got tough. Take away the Barcelona game and he did very little for the club in his last 18 months. I don't need stats to show this, I produced them for those who play Championship manager, and would use them, especially a hat trick on one big european game, to somehow project that he was a success. My point is that inconsistent players who don't perform on a regular basis are failures for this very reason, and Arsprilla was one of those in that category.

As you appear to like him, I'm not surprised it taints your judgement, as you appear to apply this criteria to most of your judgements.

I based it on league, because his hat trick in 1 game doubles his tally for the season, and said so at the start. Are you going to say that Ameobi is a great striker because he has a good scoring ratio in europe ? Or are you happy with a player, your main striker,  who scores 3 goals in the remainder of his games  mackems.gif

From watching that team, Arsprilla played crap on many occasions, far too many, he was also a key player in a distinct drop in performance. He was a showboater and a luxury player who disappeared when the going got tough. Take away the Barcelona game and he did very little for the club in his last 18 months. I don't need stats to show this, I produced them for those who play Championship manager, and would use them, especially a hat trick on one big european game, to somehow project that he was a success. My point is that inconsistent players who don't perform on a regular basis are failures for this very reason, and Arsprilla was one of those in that category.

As you appear to like him, I'm not surprised it taints your judgement, as you appear to apply this criteria to most of your judgements.

So when you judge Asprilla you do so by taking out some of the games he played in, OK, I'll remember that when making judgements in future if it suits my argument, as for him doing very little for 18 months, you do realise in that time we qualified for the CL but we wouldn't have done so if it wasn't for his league goals in the qualifying season, do we count those?

I don’t know why I’ve bothered mentioning the CL, it doesn’t count.  Well, that makes the record of another person at the club look worse.

So when you judge Asprilla you do so by taking out some of the games he played in, OK, I'll remember that when making judgements in future if it suits my argument, as for him doing very little for 18 months, you do realise in that time we qualified for the CL but we wouldn't have done so if it wasn't for his league goals in the qualifying season, do we count those?

I don't think so. He only scored 4 league goals in that season. Keep ignoring stuff that doesn't suit your opinions though, its a hoot.

If you like, you can answer the question about Ameobi then, are you going to judge him in the same way, as he scores goals in europe but is shit in the league ?

As usual, you will be slow to answer things that don't suit your "opinion".