Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't think he's any better than Barton. And for a squad player I think 6m is a bit steep. Could be a good away from home player. Maybe play Smith and Barton in the middle rather than a creator.  Just think it's a bit of a pointless signing with Barton and Butt here, as well as a decent choice of strikers.

Well £6 million isn't cheap but when you think Richardson cost close to that and they want that for Fletcher and the fact he's young and English it's not too bad so get him in, dunno exactly where to play him though....hmmm

Is that Kieron Dyer young?

27 in a couple of months.

Oh..didn't think he was that age! Thought around 25.. but he is still reasonably young, like 5 good seasons left before a rapid decline and considering players move on so quickly in footie today...

Dyer is the better player in my opinion, but it's time to just cut our losses and get rid of him. The club is having a clearout, and Dyer is a prime candidate to be gotten rid.

Smith fills the hole in the squad left, not a spectacular player but another proven premier league player who'll do a job. Dyer has more potential to be a match winner, but I simply don't think he'll ever do it consistently enough to be someone we'll miss.

He's a great representation of everything a lot of people have wanted out of the club for so long.

Smith in, Dyer out.

http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/s/Sin_City/sq_bruce_willis_hartigan.jpg

Fair trade.

Guest Matt10

Well £6 million isn't cheap but when you think Richardson cost close to that and they want that for Fletcher and the fact he's young and English it's not too bad so get him in, dunno exactly where to play him though....hmmm

Is that Kieron Dyer young?

27 in a couple of months.

Oh..didn't think he was that age! Thought around 25.. but he is still reasonably young, like 5 good seasons left before a rapid decline and considering players move on so quickly in footie today...

Dyer is 28 according to the official site.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

yeh as you know, i know fletcher, eagles, evans, fletcher is smiths best friend. was with a mate tonight who had just come back from fletchers, and he said smithy was on his way, and that he was the one now staying, and that smith chose us other the everton, boro and another team

yeh as you know, i know fletcher, eagles, evans, fletcher is smiths best friend. was with a mate tonight who had just come back from fletchers, and he said smithy was on his way, and that he was the one now staying, and that smith chose us other the everton, boro and another team

...and boro offerred him £70k apparently.

Guest Knightrider

At this stage of the transfer window and close-season, this signing doesn't make too much sense if true. When we were first linked with him at the start of the close-season I was quite receptive to the idea of bringing him in I think because of the doubts over Martins and Owen plus we hadn't signed Viduka or Barton then, but now, when we need defenders first and foremost? Well I'm perplexed and this could be Duff all over again if we don't follow up the signing with defenders, and good ones, because £6m can buy you more than adequate quality.

As a player I think Smith is decent but nowt special. Squad wise he'd be a good addition though.

Interesting....

I've been taking the piss out my Smoggie mate for weeks after it looked like our interest was dead and they were in for him. I'll keep me mouth shut in future. :(

You're still up on the summer overall though, on the bright side. :lol:

I've been taking the piss out my Smoggie mate for weeks after it looked like our interest was dead and they were in for him. I'll keep me mouth shut in future. :(

You're still up on the summer overall though, on the bright side. :lol:

Would have Smith over Aliadiare (sp?) not to mention we stole Viduka :D

The way I see it, Smith is a straight replacement for Dyer. Dyer is a more exciting player, whereas Smith is a bit huff and puff in comparison. If Sam is going to play long ball football though, then Smith will be more effective than people might realise. And the big plus is, we won't have a bunch of twats venting bile at one of our own players because he's too flash, a little waster etc.

Will be a blessed fucking relief, even if we've paid £3m more than he's worth.

For £6m i'd get Baines.

Same here. I would even go for Shorey and I have doubts over him!

Dragatinovic tbh ;)

If he is good and a left back then bring him here (I know Dragatinovic is a left back, my comment is in general :D)

For £6m i'd get Baines.

Same here. I would even go for Shorey and I have doubts over him!

Dragatinovic tbh ;)

If he is good and a left back then bring him here (I know Dragatinovic is a left back, my comment is in general :D)

Never seen him tbh, but he's bound to be better than Babs