Do we NEED Michael Owen?

NSG

Obviously he's a quality finisher, the best at the club. But with Martins, Luque, Shola, Viduka and Carroll all looking promising for the coming season, and Owen struggling with niggles and yet to discover his form, is it a case of he needs us more than we need him?

If we got 10mill+ for him, would we be better off selling him and spunking that + the other reported 10 mill on the defence?

Ideal scenario would be for us to be completely unreliant on Owen's fitness to have a good enough standard of attacking threat, and then to add a fully fit Owen onto that attack, with the option to rest/rotate him when required.

I dont think anyone is going to realistically pay £10mill for him. Until he proves his fitness over a length period, theres no reason to believe the "im over my fitness problems, im stronger than ever" lines - too many crocks have used that in the past only to get injured again, and its probably only a small number who actually overcome their problems permanently.

No.

But what a bonus he will be to us this season.

I could see us coping well enough with Martins and Viduka as first choice strikers with Luque Shola and Carroll as good backup.

I'd say we're quite sorted for strikers atm,providing injuries stay away,but with Newcastle being Newcastle,who knows ?

Guest Morph

No, he's the guy who's had a horrid cruciate ligament injury, and gets paid what the stupid loons offered to pay him.

Yes. If, big 'if' I know, we can keep him fit, get him firing on all cylinder's and provide him with good service he will score plenty of goals for us. I suppose the bottom line here is we 'need' him, in my opinion, if we want to be even thinking about challenging for European places.

We will end up losing Owen and Oba, Oba wont hold down a place with Owen here and will want out, then Owen will just leave anyway. Not this summer, next or the one after it.

No.

I could see us coping well enough with Martins and Viduka as first choice strikers with Luque Shola and Carroll as good backup.

I'd say we're quite sorted for strikers atm,providing injuries stay away,but with Newcastle being Newcastle,who knows ?

Saying that like,we've always done shite the seasons he hasn't played.

So lets play him and maybe he'l bring us some luck eh ? Hopefully

No.

Make your mind up...  :lol:

Obviously he's a quality finisher, the best at the club. But with Martins, Luque, Shola, Viduka and Carroll all looking promising for the coming season, and Owen struggling with niggles and yet to discover his form, is it a case of he needs us more than we need him?

If we got 10mill+ for him, would we be better off selling him and spunking that + the other reported 10 mill on the defence?

howay man NSG. Ameobi or Owen  ????? 

The only way we are better off without Owen is if he expresses a desire to leave the club. Don't get carried away with Luque from the other day, although it would be nice if he starts to perform.

Basically, we have Viduka, Owen and Martins.  So if we sell him we need to replace him !!!

Guest Alan_Shearer

LOL, Alberto fancies the women off SSN :p

And i agree with Dave. The goals Owen will get will make so much of a difference, and in cups we need top class strikers to get the goals against the best teams.

The only way we are better off without Owen is if he expresses a desire to leave the club. Don't get carried away with Luque from the other day, although it would be nice if he starts to perform.

Basically, we have Viduka, Owen and Martins.  So if we sell him we need to replace him !!!

I just posted the question, didn't state my opinion ;)

No.

Make your mind up...  :lol:

Trying to look on the brightside of him being out for 2 seasons  ;D

He's the only one we KNOW will score goals (if fit blah..) with the others I'm sure they will get goals but I don't think Martins Viduka, Luque, Ameobi etc. are natural goalscorers. Owen's the one who'll get the 20 and the rest will supplement. We need him imo.

OK fair enough, but you could have phrased it better  :laugh:

OK fair enough, but you could have phrased it better  :laugh:

Now you mention it though, I think, as a club, he is essential to us. He is the closest player we have to "world class". He is effectively the face of the club at the moment. The player used to sell shirts and promote the club accross the world. Without him you're looking at the likes of Martins, Barton etc. Very good players in their own right, but they wont sell 1000's of shirts every year.

On the playing side of things I reckon he's still an integral cog to our team, but maybe not THE essential cog that he would have been this time last year. We've evolved a team to play without Michael Owen, it'll be interesting to see where he fits in.

Pretty new around these parts, so here goes.

I'm pretty much certain that a player of MO's quality is required.  He's a proven scorer and can provide us with goals this season.  But, could it be a bad thing if he features too regularly and pushes Oba out?  I certinally think so, given that age/injuries must surely be catching up on MO...if not now but eventually. 

Lets face it, do we push away a good young talent (I know people are still unsure about Oba) in place of getting one of our 'superstars' his goals?

I for one would not want to be a third choice striker at a mediocre club at 22 (before anyone slags, I love the toon with all my heart, but lets not pretend for one second we are anything but).

Well, regardless, doesnt look like Sam has any 'want' to sell them and they have said they dont want to go...so heres hoping for a high scoring season (if they stay fit).

Pretty new around these parts, so here goes.

I'm pretty much certain that a player of MO's quality is required.  He's a proven scorer and can provide us with goals this season.  But, could it be a bad thing if he features too regularly and pushes Oba out?  I certinally think so, given that age/injuries must surely be catching up on MO...if not now but eventually. 

Lets face it, do we push away a good young talent (I know people are still unsure about Oba) in place of getting one of our 'superstars' his goals?

I for one would not want to be a third choice striker at a mediocre club at 22 (before anyone slags, I love the toon with all my heart, but lets not pretend for one second we are anything but).

Well, regardless, doesnt look like Sam has any 'want' to sell them and they have said they dont want to go...so heres hoping for a high scoring season (if they stay fit).

I don't think either Owen or Viduka will be fit enough all season to push Oba out. He'll probably be playing almost every week imo.

He's the only one we KNOW will score goals (if fit blah..) with the others I'm sure they will get goals but I don't think Martins Viduka, Luque, Ameobi etc. are natural goalscorers. Owen's the one who'll get the 20 and the rest will supplement. We need him imo.

Sig :)