Playing For The Shirt..

The Bonk

In the Zoggy thread, AS9 brought up the fact that a player should "play for the shirt".  Out of our entire squad, who do

you think, honestly "plays for the shirt"?

Given, Solano, Taylor, Harper, Milner, Ameobi, and Ramage are definite shirt lovers. 

The flipside is, who's not in it to wear the shirt and merely collect a wedge? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Martins, Owen, Zoggy, Dyer, Carr, Bab's?  Is there more? 

In the Zoggy thread, AS9 brought up the fact that a player should "play for the shirt".  Out of our entire squad, who do

you think, honestly "plays for the shirt"?

Given, Solano, Taylor, Harper, Milner, Ameobi, and Ramage are definite shirt lovers. 

The flipside is, who's not in it to wear the shirt and merely collect a wedge? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Martins, Owen, Zoggy, Dyer, Carr, Bab's?  Is there more? 

It could be argued that none of them play for the shirt, money seems to be more important than the shirt these days.

Carrol should be added to the list with Given etc ...

simply because he's a geordie?

hes grew up through the club and will surely love them, he will love walking out onto st.james in a black and white shirt

No, because every time he's played he'd given absolutely everything and you could see how much that goal meant to him.

hes grew up through the club and will surely love them, he will love walking out onto st.james in a black and white shirt

you'd hope so

No, because every time he's played he'd given absolutely everything and you could see how much that goal meant to him.

you saw how much that goal meant to Luque. Of course he's going to give everything, he's trying to break into the first team squad

It's a tricky one. To be honest though I reckon players really play for the team. It's nice if that team is your hometown club, and maybe you approach it differently if it is, but I reckon you play for the men on the pitch with you. You hear this all the time about soldiers, when it comes down to it, it's not king or country, or noble cause, it's the bloke on your left and the bloke on your right.

I reckon it's like that with footballers, you play for your team-mates, your manager, and your pride. If the club shirt is part of your pride, then all well and good, if it's not, it's not. For Shearer the club was such a huge part of his identity there was no difference between playing for himself and playing for the club, but players like that are once in a generation types.

Who gives a shit.  THe whole concept of "playing for the shirt" is bollocks, imo.

You'd think some people thought Owen seriously injures himself on purpose just so he doesn't have to play for us.

And how is Carr just in it for the money?  He's shit, but he tries.

Who gives a s***.  THe whole concept of "playing for the shirt" is bollocks, imo.

You'd think some people thought Owen seriously injures himself on purpose just so he doesn't have to play for us.

And how is Carr just in it for the money?  He's s***, but he tries.

Carr neglected his responsibilities on countless occasions last season and the season before

Carr neglected his responsibilities on countless occasions last season and the season before

That was down to lack of skill, not a willing display of neglect.  Like the guy above says, he may be s*** but he does try.  He's always out there sweating and running around to the best of his ability, the fact of the matter is though he's out of his depth.  A SPL/Championship player at best.

Guest henke

Yeah its a bit of a tough one to call.

I mean, i sit on my arse staring at celing tiles all day, avoiding work like the plague. So for me to criticize the likes of carr etc would make me a bit of a hypocrite.

Yeah its a bit of a tough one to call.

I mean, i sit on my arse staring at celing tiles all day, avoiding work like the plague. So for me to criticize the likes of carr etc would make me a bit of a hypocrite.

bluelaugh.gif

I think taylor and ramage play for the shirt out of local lads. I also think given and solano love the club and play for the shirt now also. I also think milner plays for the shirt and gives his all for this club. I can't question nicky butt in the last season neither he has given his all for the club. Other players to be seen but I think geremi and barton with fight for the shirt in every game.

That was down to lack of skill, not a willing display of neglect.  Like the guy above says, he may be s*** but he does try.  He's always out there sweating and running around to the best of his ability, the fact of the matter is though he's out of his depth.  A SPL/Championship player at best.

he was massively overweight for a full-back last season

Guest Knightrider

Playing for the shirt is the kind of rhetoric the likes of Souness used as motivation...

I'd far rather a player played for his team mates, manager and self above something like the shirt or badge, doing so will mean playing for the shirt or badge is inconsequential anyway.