Dragutinovic - Set to sign new Sevilla contract

Guest TrEe

I still don't feel comfortable having Ramage in that squad... just don't have faith in the player! We need a RB/CB (Versatility) and maybe another versatile AM/LM (Playmaker)

To be honest though, he's effectively 4th choice right-back (after Carr, Solano & Taylor), 3rd choice left-back (after Drago & Enrique), and 5th choice centre-back (after Taylor, Drago, Cacapa & Rozehnal). He's well down the pecking order. (should Drago sign of course)

Dragutinovic and a right-back, and I'll be confident of top 6 easily. Got as good as squad as anything outside the top 3 if that comes off.

Given, Harper

RB, Carr

Enrique, Drago

Cacapa, Ramage

Rozehnal, Taylor

Milner, Solano

N'Zogbia, Duff

Geremi, Barton

Butt, Emre

Owen, Martins, Luque

Smith, Viduka, Ameobi

I think every manager outside of the top 5 would die for a squad like that, and that easily has the depth to push higher.

I like the way we seem to be setting up a side full of players who can play anywhere.

RB: Carr, Geremi, Solano, Taylor

CB: Roz, Taylor, Cacapa, Drago/Other

LB: Enrique, Drago, N'Zogbia

RM: Geremi, Solano, Milner, Dyer, Smith

CM: Butt, Emre, Barton, Smith, Geremi, Dyer, Solano (been suggested)

LM: N'Zogbia, Duff, Luque, Enrique

CF: Martins, Viduka, Owen, Ameobi, Smith, Carroll, Luque, Dyer

I've never known us have this much cover all over the shop. As you we're still a quality RB and that fourth CB short, other than that we look solid.

Still not convinced by our midfield. Wide areas are a worry tbh. Zog has a lot to prove and Milner is average. Geremi could do it there maybe.

Central midfield is fine but we dont have a decent playmaker really. All very one-paced across the midfield. Zog is sharper than the others but not lightning.

The front line is fine. Defensively we look better than we were but its too early to comment on the new lads at the bacl other than Rozehnal who looks good. One or two injuries and we have Ramage back in there.

I'm very happy with the blend of experience Allardyce is bringing in. So far he's signed a 21 year old, 24 year old, 26 year old, 27 year old, 28 year old and two 31 year olds. Roeder was saying he was only interested in signing players under 25 i think it was.  He had his heart set on the likes of Gareth Bale and Curtis Davies, will dismissing the likes of Sol Campbell cos they were at the wrong side of their careers.

Still not convinced by our midfield. Wide areas are a worry tbh. Zog has a lot to prove and Milner is average. Geremi could do it there maybe.

Central midfield is fine but we dont have a decent playmaker really. All very one-paced across the midfield. Zog is sharper than the others but not lightning.

The front line is fine. Defensively we look better than we were but its too early to comment on the new lads at the bacl other than Rozehnal who looks good. One or two injuries and we have Ramage back in there.

I don't know what to say about that, this says it best  :idiot2: :cheesy:

"Zog has a lot to prove and Milner is average."

agreed.  zog has been patchy so far, and milner was poor yesterday.  Dont think he`s entirely happy on the left.  Milner looked good against juventus cos their lb was so slow, and thus easily tied in knots by milner.

Milner will continue to look average against most premiership teams; most of which are able to cope with a bit of speed attacking them.  Its only when playing against lesser teams that milner scares the opposition.

have we actually been linked with any RB?? By the looks of it SA wants big versatille defenders and none of our RB's (carr, Solano, Ron....i think taylor will stay in the centre) fit the bill?? Maybe we will have another secret transfer a la Enrigeu

have we actually been linked with any RB?? By the looks of it SA wants big versatille defenders and none of our RB's (carr, Solano, Ron....i think taylor will stay in the centre) fit the bill?? Maybe we will have another secret transfer a la Enrigeu

geremi maybe when barton's fit

that Swiss guy...

As much as I would love for us to sign Dragutinovic, I now doubt it will be happening. We may have  missed the boat, or he may have just decided to take the new deal and stay put.

Either way, as has been said already, I think we have a fantastic pool of players to choose from, even if Enrique is the last of the lot. If the remaining budget is low, I would look for a RB and CB in scandinavia tbh at the moment, as these players are usually quite tough built, can play in winter, and would come relatively cheap. I think this sort of player at this stage would represent less of a risk should they be obscure or untested in the big leagues. No more Africans though. If they are internationals and can get a work permit, they'll be off in Jan. If not, then they won't be permitted to work in the first place.

Well done Big Sam and co.

"Zog has a lot to prove and Milner is average."

agreed.   zog has been patchy so far, and milner was poor yesterday.  Dont think he`s entirely happy on the left.  Milner looked good against juventus cos their lb was so slow, and thus easily tied in knots by milner.

Milner will continue to look average against most premiership teams; most of which are able to cope with a bit of speed attacking them.  Its only when playing against lesser teams that milner scares the opposition.

He looked poor in one game out of position so he's average.. yeah great logic.

Milner, in his correct position, is a very good player for his age.  Good technique, good crosser and a good shot on him and still only 21 so he can keep improving.  The idea that he only looks good against lesser teams is bollocks, sure you aren't talking about Duff? :)

geremi maybe when barton's fit

yeh i though that when he signed, but having seen him play in midfield it changed my mind. Plus i think he's too small and not as defensively sound as SA would like. not sure bout that behrmi, just read the thread, seems like crap, it just seems strange that the intensity surrounding our pursuit of a LB has been immesnse compared to the RB position which is arguably just as poorly covered. I have a sneaky feeling that Carr may be getting a good run in. I think the amount of weight he has lost is either SA fintess methods kicking in, or Carr's response to being told he is overwieght and needs to slim down to become considered or both. Hence the belief he will play more often

I dont think Milner was poor yesterday, put in a few good crosses and worked hard for the team.

Milner is going to be one of these players that people will never accept as being good because he doesnt run super duper fast!

I dont think Milner was poor yesterday, put in a few good crosses and worked hard for the team.

Milner is going to be one of these players that people will never accept as being good because he doesnt run super duper fast!

Milner is decent when he tracks back as well, IMO he is a good all round winger he doesnt have great pace but he has the ability to skip past players and whip in a decent cross. I think Milner has improved quite a bit over the last year and he will only get better.

Or cross accurately on a consistent basis. Two fairly fundamental weapons in a wingers armoury?

To put average into perspective: the likes of Solano and Robert were good. Ginola was very good on his day. Waddle was exceptional. Milner isnt in their league. He hasnt put in the performances Keith Gillespie did in 1994/95 or 1995/96 seasons either. If he isnt int he league of the good players isnt he simply average?

Decent squad player but until we actually have someone with a little more up his sleeve than Milner then we are holding ourselves back. Good squad player. Not a top player by any stretch of the imagination.

Or cross accurately on a consistent basis. Two fairly fundamental weapons in a wingers armoury?

To put average into perspective: the likes of Solano and Robert were good. Ginola was very good on his day. Waddle was exceptional. Milner isnt in their league. He hasnt put in the performances Keith Gillespie did in 1994/95 or 1995/96 seasons either. If he isnt int he league of the good players isnt he simply average?

Decent squad player but until we actually have someone with a little more up his sleeve than Milner then we are holding ourselves back. Good squad player. Not a top player by any stretch of the imagination.

Still think he'll end up as a right back in a few years time

Milner put in a couple of brilliant crosses yesterday, and his work off the ball helped the team a lot. That cross for Viduka was top drawer and he swung another one deep to the far post after beating his marker. I thought he had a good game, and is looking sharp in pre-season. He seems to gradually be getting better and better. He'll never have the pace or strength which will hold him back from becoming a top 4 winger IMO, but I think he has what it takes to be, say, a decent top 6 winger, espescially as his crossing, shooting and decision-making seems to be improving all the time.

Milner put in a couple of brilliant crosses yesterday, and his work off the ball helped the team a lot. That cross for Viduka was top drawer and he swung another one deep to the far post after beating his marker.

and the one for Shola was also top class, but he can't cross......

Guest Toonie

Milner is a lot better than people give him credit for. At Villa, he was one of the brightest parts of their team that season. He is one of the best players on the England U21 team. People have just been watching his since he was way young and so still associate him with the crappy 18/19 year old winger.

IMO (and going from what I've seen last season, as I havent seen any preseason games), the only thing Milner needs to learn to do is play with his eyes off the ball. Seems to put his head down far too much for my liking, which makes him less aware of what's going on around him. I think he has excellent vision when he's looking up, but needs to look up more often when running down the wing, as that is the number 1 key to putting in good crosses.

Milner put in a couple of brilliant crosses yesterday, and his work off the ball helped the team a lot. That cross for Viduka was top drawer and he swung another one deep to the far post after beating his marker. I thought he had a good game, and is looking sharp in pre-season. He seems to gradually be getting better and better. He'll never have the pace or strength which will hold him back from becoming a top 4 winger IMO, but I think he has what it takes to be, say, a decent top 6 winger, espescially as his crossing, shooting and decision-making seems to be improving all the time.

The only brilliant cross in the entire game came from Geremi. Superlatives are fine but the stronger we become the more his failings will become apparent.

The only brilliant cross in the entire game came from Geremi. Superlatives are fine but the stronger we become the more his failings will become apparent.

Give over.

The way he created a half yard of space then put the ball on the far post for Shola/Oba (can't remember who it was) for the header that led to Smith's disallowed goal was brilliant, fabulous cross.

I share some of your concerns about Milner, but being so blatantly biased will not help you get your point across at all.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Milner put in a couple of brilliant crosses yesterday, and his work off the ball helped the team a lot. That cross for Viduka was top drawer and he swung another one deep to the far post after beating his marker.

While I agree with your point (ie Milner can cross) the way you make that point is incredibly gay to a point where I am beating the comoputer screen in anger at your gayness

While I agree with your point (ie Milner can cross) the way you make that point is incredibly gay to a point where I am beating the comoputer screen in anger at your gayness

Is that a subtle way of asking for a fuck?